What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-UCLA Pregame/Game Thread

this is amazingly poor fan support. compare to CU:
  • LA is the 2nd largest metro area in the US; Boulder is the 155th (Denver is 19th)
  • UCLA actually has slightly larger enrollment than CU
  • This wasn't their lowest attendance of the season, that was 33k (Hawaii); our lowest attendance this year was 44k (Northern CO)
someone remind me of this next time I rag on Coloradans for being so pro-sports focused. Californians seemingly have zero interest watching sports that are not played by multi-millionaires.

Due to the overwhelming amount of options in CA, locals will only support winners. The Lakers, Dodgers, and now Rams consistently win so their fan support will be higher. UCLA is typically mediocre and is a basketball school anyway. USC draws big when they win and aren't scandal ridden.

This ain't Tuscaloosa where the local college football team is the only game in town.

... USC draws big when they win and aren't scandal ridden.

no, they don't. In 2003 and 2004 they sold out exactly one game each year (the scandal broke in 2005). Despite reducing their stadium size, USC still can't fill it up (IIRC, last sellout was 2017). Liver, Yak and I beat this one to death here

I do agree that Southern Cal offers a lot more recreation options than Boulder.

no, they don't. In 2003 and 2004 they sold out exactly one game each year (the scandal broke in 2005). Despite reducing their stadium size, USC still can't fill it up (IIRC, last sellout was 2017). Liver, Yak and I beat this one to death here

I do agree that Southern Cal offers a lot more recreation options than Boulder.

What were the attendance numbers during the championship years? You conveniently left those out while only focusing on sellouts (which is largely irrelevant). Plenty of games in the 90,000+ range. That's support. USC fans and alum (I am one) show up when the product is worth showing up for.

Also, you called it Memorial Stadium? WTF?

What were the attendance numbers during the championship years? You conveniently left those out while only focusing on sellouts (which is largely irrelevant). Plenty of games in the 90,000+ range. That's support. USC fans and alum (I am one) show up when the product is worth showing up for.

Also, you called it Memorial Stadium? WTF?
I did not leave out their championships years:
  • the last USC MNC was 2004, in which I stated, in the post you quoted, that they sold out one game. Avg attendance was 85k. they had three home games (50%) top 90k.
  • the last USC Pac 12 championship was 2017. I stated above was their most recent sellout with an "IIRC" caveat; I'm glad I put that caveat in because I did not recall correctly -- USC failed to sell out a single home game that year. Avg attendance was 72k. No games topped 90k and they reduced the Colesium capacity after that season.
if I previously called it Memorial Stadium instead of Memorial Coliseum, not sure it rises to the level of WTF, but that would've been careless and I appreciate you pointing out my error. Thanks!

Last edited:
I did not leave out their championships years:
  • the last USC MNC was 2004, in which I stated, in the post you quoted, that they sold out one game. Avg attendance was 85k. they had three games top 90k.
  • the last USC Pac 12 championship was 2017. I stated above was their most recent sellout with an "IIRC" caveat; I'm glad I put that caveat in because I did not recall correctly -- USC failed to sell out a single home game that year. Avg attendance was 72k
if I previously called it Memorial Stadium instead of Memorial Coliseum, not sure it rises to the level of WTF, but that would've been careless and I appreciate you pointing out my error. Thanks!

I said you left out the specific attendance numbers, not the time frame. Which you did and just included sell outs. You're taking a very binary view of this issue. For you, sell out = good fan support, non-sell out = bad fan support. That is just not true.

Now that you've added that they averaged 85k per game, including several games north of 90k, you can see that attendance is excellent when the team is good.

And you don't seem to understand how negative the environment was around the program when Helton was coach, several big time donors were holding out and people were dropping season tickets in droves. Also, the renovation of the Coliseum displaced many long time season ticket holders who were moved from the seats they had for decades. Which led to them dropping their tickets too. These are the issues you miss out on when you just take a superficial look at sell outs.

And anyone with any credibility, or a passing interest for that matter, in USC athletics knows that the stadium is called the Coliseum. So, you're welcome.

I said you left out the specific attendance numbers, not the time frame. Which you did and just included sell outs. You're taking a very binary view of this issue. For you, sell out = good fan support, non-sell out = bad fan support. That is just not true.

Now that you've added that they averaged 85k per game, including several games north of 90k, you can see that attendance is excellent when the team is good.

And you don't seem to understand how negative the environment was around the program when Helton was coach, several big time donors were holding out and people were dropping season tickets in droves. Also, the renovation of the Coliseum displaced many long time season ticket holders who were moved from the seats they had for decades. Which led to them dropping their tickets too. These are the issues you miss out on when you just take a superficial look at sell outs.

And anyone with any credibility, or a passing interest for that matter, in USC athletics knows that the stadium is called the Coliseum. So, you're welcome.
you're not being truthful w/r/t "For you, sell out = good fan support, non-sell out = bad fan support." I believe attendance is one indicator of fan support, but not the only. I do believe it is one of the most meaningful.

you and I simply have different standards for "excellent attendance" and no, I do not see what you apparently do.

consider this, keeping focus on the last MNC and last Pac12 champ for USC:
  • in 2004, Penn State went 4-7, Ohio State went 8-4, Tennessee went 10-3, Michigan went 9-3, LSU went 9-3, Georgia 9-2, Florida 7-5..... and all drew better home crowds than USC that year.
  • in 2017 (USC's conference champ year), the LA Rams drew better than USC, playing at the same stadium. USC did draw best in the Pac-12 though, but the list of college teams who drew better that year is even longer than the 2004 list.
I'm done w/ this discussion. Allbuff members who want to can continue insisting USC is a well supported blue-blood program. Those people won't convince me they are and hard data won't convince those people otherwise.

you're not being truthful w/r/t "For you, sell out = good fan support, non-sell out = bad fan support." I believe attendance is one indicator of fan support, but not the only. I do believe it is one of the most meaningful.

you and I simply have different standards for "excellent attendance" and no, I do not see what you apparently do.

consider this, keeping focus on the last MNC and last Pac12 champ for USC:
  • in 2004, Penn State went 4-7, Ohio State went 8-4, Tennessee went 10-3, Michigan went 9-3, LSU went 9-3, Georgia 9-2, Florida 7-5..... and all drew better home crowds than USC that year.
  • in 2017 (USC's conference champ year), the LA Rams drew better than USC, playing at the same stadium. USC did draw best in the Pac-12 though, but the list of college teams who drew better that year is even longer than the 2004 list.
I'm done w/ this discussion. Allbuff members who want to can continue insisting USC is a well supported blue-blood program. Those people won't convince me they are and hard data won't convince those people otherwise.

I gave you hard data and you refuse to believe it, instead sticking with your preconceived notions. Your argument is spurious so I, too, am done with this discussion.

USC is a blue blood. But I entirely believe Mike Bohn ****s this hire up and USC is in the exact position several years from now. I don’t think they make the CFP for quite a while.

USC is a blue blood. But I entirely believe Mike Bohn ****s this hire up and USC is in the exact position several years from now. I don’t think they make the CFP for quite a while.
The only team in position to make the playoff for awhile from the Pac 12 is Oregon, and that's it. I'm not so sure they'll make it either. Pretty sure they have Utah coming up.

I don't think he is calling the shots and precisely why he is in the position he is in.

He will probably have very little say just like when he was forced to hire Embree.

It’s been two pages of recruiting and reorganization talk. Is there a game Sat?

Back