What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-UCLA Pregame/Game Thread

Midway through that game I found myself thinking about a win, the potential to beat a Washington squad in turmoil next week, and to be playing Utah with a lot of confidence & bowl eligibility on the line.

Then... well, at least I had thoughts of our basketball programs to fall back on.

I don't know which OL you watched in the 2nd half, but they sure AF didn't look improved to me
Lewis had enough time in the first half to make some plays, and we ran the ball well

Second Half, they were not being so dominated and so out of whack that we could not have called enough creative plays to counter whatever changes UCLA made, however as we all know, CU making adjustments to the other teams adjustments is just 2 too many adjustments, and thus even if the OL was serviceable, the plays were not there to be made.

Lewis had enough time in the first half to make some plays, and we ran the ball well

Second Half, they were not being so dominated and so out of whack that we could not have called enough creative plays to counter whatever changes UCLA made, however as we all know, CU making adjustments to the other teams adjustments is just 2 too many adjustments, and thus even if the OL was serviceable, the plays were not there to be made.
There's a scheme issue. Nothing seems to be multiple where one play sets up other plays so that a defensive adjustment simply leads to another option off that set & look. It's like every play is a self-contained thing with very little relation to any other play.

There's a scheme issue. Nothing seems to be multiple where one play sets up other plays so that a defensive adjustment simply leads to another option off that set & look. It's like every play is a self-contained thing with very little relation to any other play.
That has been my observation as well. Fewer sets with more plays out of each set?

Spot on.

That has been my observation as well. Fewer sets with more plays out of each set?
And calling formations and plays follow a decision tree whereby subsequent choices are predicated on what the defense attempts to do on each. This is the 21st century, is it not?

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

We’ve seen this before. We are capable of scheming to keep a team on their heels for a half. Once they have a chance to adjust at halftime, we cannot make further adjustments to continue to keep them off balance. If we are playing against a good coach with good athletes, you see what you saw last night. Infer blame in this commentary however you see fit

At the pre-game Buff Alumni tailgate, RG grabbed the mic and told everyone that Dorrell is going to be the coach for a very long time. Not one person clapped or cheered. I have been a RG fan for years - but honestly, the guy cannot read a room and I am now convinced he doesn't know what a true coach with vision and intellect is - cause Dorrell ain't it!
The reactions to this post are fitting. We don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

If this doesn't explain why my forehead is bloody and bruised I don't know what does.

CU had faced third- or fourth-and-1 20 times this season. The Buffs had called a run up the middle each of those 20 times, so UCLA clearly was ready for what the Buffs had done every other time it faced that situation this season.

If this doesn't explain why my forehead is bloody and bruised I don't know what does.

CU had faced third- or fourth-and-1 20 times this season. The Buffs had called a run up the middle each of those 20 times, so UCLA clearly was ready for what the Buffs had done every other time it faced that situation this season.
I thought this was the definition of insanity. It’s like running soldiers at a machine gun knowing they will run out of bullets before you run out of soldiers.

Put the remote down before you face palm and it’s less painful.

The only recruiting info I get is on here. I'm not gonna waste money with other sites for non recruiting news. **** that ****. Jesus, I feel like we are Vanderbilt.
Next years class is straight a$$ so far. No need for a subscription.

At the pre-game Buff Alumni tailgate, RG grabbed the mic and told everyone that Dorrell is going to be the coach for a very long time. Not one person clapped or cheered. I have been a RG fan for years - but honestly, the guy cannot read a room and I am now convinced he doesn't know what a true coach with vision and intellect is - cause Dorrell ain't it!
Desperate sales pitch time. He's lucky no one shouted out the question of why before also answering it

Next years class is straight a$$ so far. No need for a subscription.
The class is good enough for the team to get better in a few places, and we have the QB, Running Backs, Wide Receivers, Cornerbacks coming back. We need to recruit our own players to come back and then Portal in as many OL DL LB as possible.

Desperate sales pitch time. He's lucky no one shouted out the question of why before also answering it
Those road AD sponsored tailgates are mostly populated by older folks who might be thinking that, but are far too polite to ever say it.

The class is good enough for the team to get better in a few places, and we have the QB, Running Backs, Wide Receivers, Cornerbacks coming back. We need to recruit our own players to come back and then Portal in as many OL DL LB as possible.
Because the portal has helped out so much this year, right?

Those road AD sponsored tailgates are mostly populated by older folks who might be thinking that, but are far too polite to ever say it.
A good number of them also don't do their own research. That's what RG is counting on. For instance, if he tells then that recruiting is going great then they will think that recruiting is going great.

A good number of them also don't do their own research. That's what RG is counting on. For instance, if he tells then that recruiting is going great then they will think that recruiting is going great.
To a certain extent, it makes sense. Those are donor/alumni events where he views his job as gladhanding and shmoozing. You kind of have to be upbeat and positive in those situations or you risk losing their support. He is walking a fine line between raising funds to fire a coach and keeping the funds coming in from people who want to be reassured that everything is A-OK.

Because the portal has helped out so much this year, right?
The Portal has to start being successful for the Buffs, and the chance to find the guys that want to move up from G5 schools, or other guys must start paying off. We are currently getting true 2nd teamers from other P5 schools that are 2nd teamers for a reason. Gotta try really hard to find them, especially OT and DT

Additionally, what is the underlying Recruiting Structure that is in place to work the Portal?

The Portal has to start being successful for the Buffs, and the chance to find the guys that want to move up from G5 schools, or other guys must start paying off. We are currently getting true 2nd teamers from other P5 schools that are 2nd teamers for a reason. Gotta try really hard to find them, especially OT and DT

Additionally, what is the underlying Recruiting Structure that is in place to work the Portal?
I’ve been assured they’re all trying really hard.

I’d like to be this optimistic about retention. The question I ask is what is keeping them here right now? Beyond playing time, what else?

I’d like to be this optimistic about retention. The question I ask is what is keeping them here right now? Beyond playing time, what else?
Kids fall in love with the school, friends, GIRLFRIEND(S), and other things. If they are a starter and a leader, then it is a big deal.
Key players obviously are: Lewis, Rice, Shenault, and Gonzalez......actually, we are just flat out low on talent and depth 😞

Should not be this way, despite the dedication of the school and administration! The stadium has been rocking, has to be fixed.

I've posted this before.

Succeeding in the portal is like succeeding in high school recruiting. They have to have an infrastructure to evaluate talent and they have to be willing to work harder than the schools they are competing against.

We haven't seen them willing to commit the time, energy, and resources to high school recruiting and there is no indication they are willing to do that with the portal.

We need quality analyst, we need quality social media support, and most of all we need assistant coaches living out of hotels selling the program. We don't have any of that and the last one is by far the most important.

I thought we had good depth on the oline Heard Wiley will be all PAC 12 next season.

Back