What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OFFICIAL CU vs. ASU game thread 10/7/23

20 minutes later and I'm still trying to figure out how Bishop Thomas was the first guy down field on kickoff coverage lololol
And why we are so cocky and celebrate risking unsportsmanship penalties.

We have regressed every game since TCU

TCU game we were a hungry, disciplined, prepared team that executed really well.

Distractions and more and more mistakes show up every week.

That last kickoff almost landed and sat at the 1-2 yard line. Weaver and Edwards better understand what almost happened.

Thrilled to be 4-2, but something is happening with preparations.

Last edited:
Speaking of Coach Mo, I wonder if part of our 2nd half/4th quarter offensive improvement comes down to being better conditioned. Seems like opposing front 4s slow down a bit/our pass protection improves and we don't get the same level of pressure we see early.

At one point during ASU’s game tying drive, there was a very loud and distinct DEE-FENSE CHANT going on, it was awesome. Lots of road white at the game tonight.
Announcer mentioned that there were a lot of CU fans in the crowd. Maybe an advantage in our remaining games since the conference doesn't travel well but we'll have a crowd with us every time.

Shedeur is a very good player, but Prime can stop making him god perfect. He has made many many mistakes. Turning him into Cody Hawkins. S2S

Edit:
I love Prime’s pure old school approach to getting better at all phases!
Shedeur seems to get a public pass, although he is the best and most important player on the team, period, and likely the #1 pick in the ‘25 draft, he is a team member and must be examined for all aspects of improvement. That type of tone or comment does not come easy from coach. I rescind my sloppy critique, but Shedeur is a common factor in the slow starts and he is the one getting sacked. Does he assist in line checks and blitz pickup verbally enough, who knows. The Cody Hawkins comment comes from the fact that a coaches kid is not immune from team scrutiny and they better be the best for the job (check for Shedeur) and must always be willing to fall on the sword and lead the team.

Thank you for the paddling for the crap first take I tossed out. Just think the team has gotten sloppy

S2S
Shoulder to Shoulder
Together
All of us

Last edited:
Shedeur is a very good player, but Prime can stop making him god perfect. He has made many many mistakes. Turning him into Cody Hawkins. S2S
Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

I don't expect really any big improvements at this point. The team has a personnel and potentially a coaching weakness in a few areas (freaking crossing routes)

Actually we solved the crossing route problem for a large part of the game by bringing our safeties up. ASU's QB was incapable of reliably throwing deep, so it was a safe strategy. Then on their last drive, we dropped the safeties again and the crossing routes were wide open again. Annoying.

We should give some props to ASU. They have a heck of a pass defense That was a tough matchup for our offense.
It's a decent pass defense. They are Hella well coached. They might be the first team that confused 2 this year. When they did it to Caleb, I just put it as a mark on Caleb but they done did it to all of these QBs. Damn! I gotta give love to their DC. The real MVP for Arizona State

Actually we solved the crossing route problem for a large part of the game by bringing our safeties up. ASU's QB was incapable of reliably throwing deep, so it was a safe strategy. Then on their last drive, we dropped the safeties again and the crossing routes were wide open again. Annoying.
It was the one drive they moved the ball again. I didn't really have much issue with Coach Kelly but damn, this QB is ass. Why play into his strengths, late. He beat McClain once on a deep ball and we dropped the safeties back. Why? Let Cormani learn from it

It's a decent pass defense. They are Hella well coached. They might be the first team that confused 2 this year. When they did it to Caleb, I just put it as a mark on Caleb but they done did it to all of these QBs. Damn! I gotta give love to their DC. The real MVP for Arizona State
Ward. He was nails as the Wazzu DC last year and Dillingham hired him because he gave him all sorts of problems as Oregon OC.

this team is really good. the talent is a wave though, up and down. i think recruiting prep and transfer trench players is a different beast than skill players, and coaching 6 foot 170 lb skill players is doable whereas you cannot coach 6'3 300 with quickness. this coaching staff, if it stays together, is going to win battles, win games, and win a natty. this year will convince recruits of the seriousness of the program. the beasts in the trenches will follow. we're going to be so good when we have the talent.

even looking at ASU's players, they just had a size and athleticism gap. shane cokes is a very good DL. he might be dominant as a 3/4 end, but he's doing work above and beyond his athletic profile as a DT. our OL is actually playing above their physical profile. our coaching is good, but we have predominantly second or third team P5 talent level (with a few superstar skill players) and that will change next year if CP has the patience and persistence to build the program. BOB, SL, CK are good coaches in their first year at this level or with this wildly randomly built team. bring in a big class of p5 talent in the trenches, have a bowl game coaching timeframe, and a full year of developing the CUlture and we will be battling for the CFP. i believe. do you?

A couple things with the offense which aren't really criticisms of Shedeur so much as areas he's growing and has room for improvement.

His approach to the QB position is very much like Peyton Manning. Very cerebral and his natural inclination would be to spend 20 seconds at the LOS presnap diagnosing the defense and audibilizing.

1. He isn't going with the pace this offense is supposed to. He plays really well at pace, but drifts away from it because it's not what comes instinctively for him.

2. He's got that Jokic thing of always making the right play based on what the defense is giving. That results in some checks into the wrong play for the situation or personnel even if it's the right play.

3. Tonight, ASU really threw him off in the first half by showing blitz and then backing out after he would audible. Sometimes he's got to force things. Maybe hand signal a WR to break off or change a route or be ready for a 50/50 ball. I think he had that chemistry & trust with Travis but it's not there with the other guys yet.

Anyway, he's allsome and I'm picking nits. The cool thing is that as great as he is there's room to become even better. This is going to be fun to watch.
This is all why, hopefully later than sooner, some pro team is going to get a steal when they draft him.

In the NFL everybody is talented. You rarely beat teams on raw athletic ability.

For QBs especially the game is played between the ears. Defensive Coordinators break everything an offense does down to its roots and the players study full time. QBs who win are the ones who can read and adjust immediately to what the defense is doing Guys like Manning, Brady, Rodgers, even Mahomes, aren't the best athletes at QB, they are the best mentally and step up when it is toughest.

2 was confused 1st half against Nubs, first 3 Qs vs CSU and all Oregon game.

this team is really good. the talent is a wave though, up and down. i think recruiting prep and transfer trench players is a different beast than skill players, and coaching 6 foot 170 lb skill players is doable whereas you cannot coach 6'3 300 with quickness. this coaching staff, if it stays together, is going to win battles, win games, and win a natty. this year will convince recruits of the seriousness of the program. the beasts in the trenches will follow. we're going to be so good when we have the talent.

even looking at ASU's players, they just had a size and athleticism gap. shane cokes is a very good DL. he might be dominant as a 3/4 end, but he's doing work above and beyond his athletic profile as a DT. our OL is actually playing above their physical profile. our coaching is good, but we have predominantly second or third team P5 talent level (with a few superstar skill players) and that will change next year if CP has the patience and persistence to build the program. BOB, SL, CK are good coaches in their first year at this level or with this wildly randomly built team. bring in a big class of p5 talent in the trenches, have a bowl game coaching timeframe, and a full year of developing the CUlture and we will be battling for the CFP. i believe. do you?
I believe!!!

He was confused about how it was possible he didn't have 3 seconds against 3 or 4 man pass rushes. 😉 Throwing into max coverage with no time is a heck of a puzzle to have to solve.
Lol, yeah. That's not confusion though. That's your personnel is getting dominated. Confusion is what happened today. Where the blitzes, stunts, were coming from so many different directions. They would fake man coverage and going into a soft zone with the outside corners playing press man.

I know the announcer said this multiple times but it would be nice if we limit our routes that go long to spread the defense when the right side of the OL is jailbreak mode.

In all fairness, their DC did his thing. They were 3rd in the PAC in passing defense and every QB had their worst game against them.

a few questions i have: was Juwan Mitchell injured? did Jace Feely hurt himself on that first kickoff (I was walking the dog and missed it so maybe he didnt play at all??) What role does 43 (Trevor Woods) have in calling the defense and how did his late scratch effect the defensive misalignments (although, credit to Dillydally, their shifts and odd alignments were confusing even watching from the TV top angles)? Would it help both our offense and defense to have Travis Hunter playing (/sarcasm)? Would our offense play better with an offensive line built on 4 star recruits instead of g5 transfers (again, sarcasm)? obviously i am smoking the koolaid, but i think this staff and these players are over performing not just our history and our talent, but most importantly the timeline of building a program.

Back