What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*OFFICIAL* Deion Sanders aka Coach Prime is the new CU Football Head Coach thread

His choice of words stunk. he basically told those guys "you're not wanted, hit the road". Not the way to treat a Buff.
Use some words DS: "you'll each meet with an ass't coach and your situation will be reviewed, etc"
Leave them with some dignity.

only thing that I haven't liked so far.
Now that we’ve crossed the bridge to openly paying players, my sympathy for their feelings when a coach or university makes a business decision to have them hit the bricks is minimal.

True Buffs don’t go 1-11, and the ones who busted their tails and did everything they could to be better will probably have a chance to stick around.

His choice of words stunk. he basically told those guys "you're not wanted, hit the road". Not the way to treat a Buff.
Use some words DS: "you'll each meet with an ass't coach and your situation will be reviewed, etc"

This isn't what I heard. I heard him challenging them all, and delivered a very clear message that things are changing. Rules are changing. Attitudes are going to change. If you want out, leave, because he is going to work them so hard that they will want to quit.

This is very deliberate, because he only wants the guys that hear something like this, and think "bring it on, Coach. I am not going anywhere". The ones that don't think this way, should go. This is a fundamental cultural change that must happen if we are going to climb out of the gutter, and Coach Prime addressed it right away.

Him being given the job to follow Mac was the first step in the culture change at CU. He turned us into a program than went on rafting trips and had singalongs while he strummed on his guitar. There's a reason holdovers from the Mac team wanted to kill him. Which player was it who put Ricky up against the wall in the locker room and threatened him?
CHRIS NAEOLE1670263796001.png

This isn't what I heard. I heard him challenging them all, and delivered a very clear message that things are changing. Rules are changing. Attitudes are going to change. If you want out, leave, because he is going to work them so hard that they will want to quit.

This is very deliberate, because he only wants the guys that hear something like this, and think "bring it on, Coach. I am not going anywhere". The ones that don't think this way, should go. This is a fundamental cultural change that must happen if we are going to climb out of the gutter, and Coach Prime addressed it right away.
I'm not even sure the players took it nearly as rough as the general public did. Its not like we've had a lot of players rush for the exits today. If anything we've seen several players react favorably. If we don't see more numbers opting out they are probably going to have to start having some frank discussion with players individually (which they may already be planning to do).

So, sugarcoat it?

Hell no. They heard exactly what they needed. They want to leave via the portal, next of luck. I've pulled for this team for 30+ years, from NC's to 1 win years. We are NOT who we were. We've lost our way, and from the looks of our, Coach Prime is putting us back on the right path.

My thought is to get with the program and direction, or step out. Simple.

I've seen too many people already crying over this meeting. Its borderline disgusting. If you are competitive, that speech is what you want. I was ready to drive from WV to Boulder just to be on the practice squad, or hell, carry Coach's water around. I would have thrown my hat off, asked to speak to my new position Coach, if there, anything. I want in, I want it all. There is more than enough reasons why that video had been seen over 1.5 million times. How many recruits you think saw that? How many were ready to come to stake claim to the Boulder Rebuild?

Everyone wants to be a part of something special. Now it's the chance.

That speech will be one of the ones Coach Prime will be remembered for.

In 3 years, quote this post.

This is from 2014. Is it still valid? How does it work in our current situation (ie, player says “F it, I’m staying”)

it would only apply to someone that got a four year scholarship, which are rare. I haven't seen information on how many of those we've given out or which players have them -- I'm sure someone on the board could inform to that though.

I'm not even sure the players took it nearly as rough as the general public did. Its not like we've had a lot of players rush for the exits today. If anything we've seen several players react favorably. If we don't see more numbers opting out they are probably going to have to start having some frank discussion with players individually (which they may already be planning to do).
What I'm mostly seeing is that the guys most upset or troubled seem to be those who were leaving anyway if the culture wasn't going to be Sanford or Sanford-esque. That's kind of the point of that meeting- honestly laying out the truth of the situation straight up and setting clear expectations. On the flip side, we also have players who are pumped because this is the culture they wanted and they're eager to compete (including guys like Mo Bell who pulled out of the portal after hearing that message).

I'm not putting judgment on players in either camp. If things no longer align with what they signed up for and experienced at CU so they won't be happy or fit in with Coach Prime's program culture, I'll wish them well as they find the right fit for having a great college experience.

Prime is selling his vision for the program. If the players aren’t onboard, get off the train.
As for his conversation with JSU when he said that he was leaving, I heard it as him saying don’t go jumping into the portal and not playing the Bowl game because they are upset that he is leaving. He offered guidance on helping those who were considering leaving after the Bowl game. Neuheisel is still an idiot. Some things never change.

The SEC is in bed with ESPN, CU is in a conference with an unclear future and no clear cut established future media partner like FOX or ESPN atm.
Gotta think the Pac programs are thrilled because Prime’s media impact won’t just benefit CU. It will benefit the conference. Beyond the Pac, it makes CU a much more valued target for expansion if that’s the route we want to go.

See to me, those things are competitive irrelevant as long as Prime is here. The moment he leaves, we're ****ed again in that regard. But with Prime, TV will find us, the spotlight will find us, and honestly, if he stays long enough, our conference situation will resolve itself one way or another.

If your goal is to win championships, get to the playoffs, and win nattys, going to the SEC is a poor move, unless you're going to one of the big 3.

There's no reason to be fretting about him leaving yet anyway, but when the time comes for teams to come sniffing, I'm much more worried about the ACC than the SEC. Hopefully it comes down to not wanting to work for a rival of FSU's, and FSU being happy with the coach they have.
Sometimes an engine won’t start until it gets Primed. Just sayin’.

If some of those CU players show heart and give their blood sweat and tears to try and stay on the team then they might have a shot. That is what Coach Prime is looking for. Nothing less! Maybe Nebraska will take some of them! :LOL:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of them ended up at CSU or Wyo.

They lost their dignity when they were getting ass raped all season, every week. If they are butt hurt because they were told to step it up or leave, too bad.

Then give them each a Personal Pan Pizza and a Capri Sun as they leave the room, right?

Am I Gay Kate Mckinnon GIF by Golden Globes

Aggie owing Fisher 75m+ doesn't isn't supposed to be an issue in their decision whether he stays or goes so if someone wants Prime the buyout, any buyout, is just a number.
I will keep repeating: RG’s legacy will depend on his ability to make Prime happy. It’ll be broken into two parts: a) raise the funds needed to fulfill his promises AND extend Prime; b) remove all obstacles from Prime’s ability to have success.

I’d mentioned during the search that Barnett and Klatt were selling the program to Prime and some responded that all they were doing was interviewing him.

According to McChesney, Klatt was a force in selling this job to Deion. SO THERE! :LOL:
You could hear just how giddy Klatt is about this in his Podcast he put out this morning. There isn't a more passionate Buff out there.

Apologies if this was already shown...but add me to the list of people that wished Coach Prime had said "thanks for being a part of the Buffalo family" or something like that to the players who represented us (even in this awful era...we've had those before and we loved our guys as "Buffs forever" ever since).

That having been said, the dynamic that has been set into motion by this hire is astounding. All of a sudden people who had no connection at all to our program have decided they have an interest in seeing it succeed/flourish/RTD. Look at this...this isn't even imaginable a month ago (and this is FAR from the only person saying this...and our football alumni are coming out of the woodwork to offer help). It's like a giant group effort to see us succeed. It's a festivus miracle. 20 years of waiting.

I will keep repeating: RG’s legacy will depend on his ability to make Prime happy. It’ll be broken into two parts: a) raise the funds needed to fulfill his promises AND extend Prime; b) remove all obstacles from Prime’s ability to have success.

Thank you for concisely making your point. Mtn would probably need 20 times as many words for that. lol

And I fully agree and I will repeat myself here also. In organsational theory in regards to roles at work there is a distinction between job, career and calling. A job is something to pay the bills or while you're in college, a career is central to your identity you do to progress whereas the calling is your passion and if you apply this to Prime, I think it is relatively clear this is his calling. We can only speculate on his motivation for it and what he is trying to achieve - I think it's a safe guess that enabling and empowering black athletes and coaches is part of it - but the key point is that he doesn't need to do it, he's doing it because he wants to and because there is something he wants to achieve in coaching football. He could probably make at least a similar amount of money just sitting at home and filming the odd commercial or call some TV execs and ask them for a role on their football broadcasts, coaching is the hard path here and he's in it because he wants to and not because he needs the money. And I think that makes this is a very distinctive case and an outlier where standard principles only partially apply.

Getting the casuals involved, getting HS and middle school kids excited about CU, and getting the elementary aged kids to grow up with an exciting program to root for will do big things for years.

I was 10 I believe when CU won the national title. I remember cheering with my dad at that game. That lead to being a huge fan through middle school. I developed my arch nemesis Tony Davis in middle school. Josh Davis older brother. Their dad played for Nebraska we gave each other **** nonstop.

I did drop off a bit as a fan in high school. Girls became more important. Later in life I got back on the bandwagon and made a fan site. I never went to CU. Yet here I am.

CU being good in the 90s and couple years into the 2000s made a huge impact on this guy. Would be awesome to see Colorado kids excited about CU football again.

Back