What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread -- CU v #18 SMU

I see lots of blame on free throws, which is fair. Surprised more people aren't talking about layups. Refs weren't calling a lot of bumps at the basket (which I typically like), but SMU finished while we missed. It takes a weird game to have a 12-0 made 3 pointer advantage (36 points), but still lose. Free throws make up for the point differential in the game, but layups are the issue that ruined our outside advantage.

I see lots of blame on free throws, which is fair. Surprised more people aren't talking about layups. Refs weren't calling a lot of bumps at the basket (which I typically like), but SMU finished while we missed. It takes a weird game to have a 12-0 made 3 pointer advantage (36 points), but still lose. Free throws make up for the point differential in the game, but layups are the issue that ruined our outside advantage.
Bumps were only called ar 1 end. I watched Dom get butt ****ed 35' from the rim and no call. Pays to pay the refs.

This isn't a football, BS, MM "moral victory". That was a damn good basketball game, where we balled for 40 minutes against a very athletic, extremely well coached (and well paid) team hitting on all cylinders. Was an awesome watch. And despite the outcome, I'm going to bed tonight feeling better about this team than I did when I woke up this am. Feels like we've got something special brewing here. Bring on the Pac 12. Roll frigging Tad! Good loss.

I kept thinking about this all night. SMU's sudden success in basketball reminds me of Baylor's rise in football. That Mustang team is damn good and 100% bought. Larry's too old to know or care at this point.

In addition to the problems noted above I also put part of the loss on the coach. I think he needs to mix the defense up (using zone) more to keep the other team guessing what we are going to do. I believe we just used zone defense on one set and SMU seemed to be confused and struggled with it. Out of multiple time outs the other team ran a designed play which resulted in a score. Dom was not able to effectively guard their point guard. Not using and practicing it now will make us less effective when we use it against Arizona. If Duke can use it to win the national championship over Wisconsin I would think we could try to use it a little more.

I'll never understand people blaming losses on 1 game variation in FT's made, especially when CU got to the line more than SMU, but whatever.

CU lost this game in the paint, outscored 44-18 points in paint. Perimeter defense has to stop guys from getting into the lane.

Definitely missed FT's, but also too many empty possessions in the last 10 minutes. That was a game the Buffs should have won. Good Non-Con run though!

Hopefully King learns how to use his left hand. He does a good job of getting to the rim with either hand, but has trouble finishing from the left side.

Year six, and people still don't get taht Tad doesn't use zone more than once in a blue moon. That's just how it goes with him.
Coach K used to be like that. Now you see them running 2-3 and 1-3-1, I'm guessing that's his relationship with Boeheim. Nothing wrong with using some zone, especially when it necessary. Rugged made a good point up above on finishing, you have to if they are gonna allow more contact than usual. It's your job as a player to adjust to how the game is called.

I'll never understand people blaming losses on 1 game variation in FT's made, especially when CU got to the line more than SMU, but whatever.

CU lost this game in the paint, outscored 44-18 points in paint. Perimeter defense has to stop guys from getting into the lane.

Well when you miss 9 FT and you need 5 points to win... Its pretty easy to see why people would be blaming this loss on missed FTs

Larry's too old to know or care at this point.[/QUOTE]

FWIW: I'm 67 and won 3 criminal jury trials this month, all against DAs in their late 20s/early 30s who, apparently like yourself, think they are pretty clever, based on their youth. Most of you morons who engage in age-bias are just afraid of aging yourselves. Grow up boy.

Larry's too old to know or care at this point.

FWIW: I'm 67 and won 3 criminal jury trials this month, all against DAs in their late 20s/early 30s who, apparently like yourself, think they are pretty clever, based on their youth. Most of you morons who engage in age-bias are just afraid of aging yourselves. Grow up boy.

Old man slapped.

Blaming within 1 game is appropriate. Just because a stat is irrelevant over a season in the macro doesn't mean it's irrelevant on a given night.

Last night, if the Buffs and SMU each hit a typical 70% then CU picks up 4 points and SMU loses 2 points. It was a big deal.

It shouldn't overshadow what @Rugged is stressing, though. Buffs didn't make shots from inside 10 feet while SMU made theirs. I'm hoping that our front court was just having one of those nights with dead legs with their 4th game in 6 days after having to carry the team the night before.

I think it's appropriate to say he's too old to care about certain things at this point. In my experience working with business partners in their 70s and 80s, they gain a very different perspective. No longer trying to play any politics and they don't waste their time caring about anything from outside their sphere that they consider to be bullsh!t. They care about results, people, and their own love of the game (and actually a lot less about personal legacy than I thought they would). They might also care about the money if it's a matter of looking beyond their own comfort toward creating generational wealth. That's where I expect Larry Brown is. He's a HOFer whether he ever coaches another game. But he loves basketball, loves coaching his players and coaches, and loves the competition... and I assume he gives zero ****s about any NCAA rule that he thinks is stupid.

FWIW: I'm 67 and won 3 criminal jury trials this month, all against DAs in their late 20s/early 30s who, apparently like yourself, think they are pretty clever, based on their youth. Most of you morons who engage in age-bias are just afraid of aging yourselves. Grow up boy.[/QUOTE]

Damn dude, maybe try to stay out of trouble with the law. (Just kidding)

I think free throws are being talked about because it was a problem down the stretch and in particular with Scott, who is usually very reliable at the line. Of course points in the paint were a problem. Wes in particular did a good job of getting himself into position with the ball but couldn't seem to get the ball to creep over the rim.

I think free throws are being talked about because it was a problem down the stretch and in particular with Scott, who is usually very reliable at the line. Of course points in the paint were a problem. Wes in particular did a good job of getting himself into position with the ball but couldn't seem to get the ball to creep over the rim.

There was a sequence in the final minutes that told the story of the game. One of our wings (Fortune?) pulled off a great drive and created space for a baby hook about 5 feet away in the middle of the lane that he front-rimmed. SMU came down the court and their wing immediately answered with a similar play that he finished.

Seemed like that was happening all night. Buffs didn't hit the shots you're supposed to make 60-75% of the time while SMU was drilling those shots at what felt like a 90% clip. FTs fall within that category.

FWIW: I'm 67 and won 3 criminal jury trials this month, all against DAs in their late 20s/early 30s who, apparently like yourself, think they are pretty clever, based on their youth. Most of you morons who engage in age-bias are just afraid of aging yourselves. Grow up boy.[/QUOTE]

Here here! Power to the old people!

Last edited:
Here here! Power to the old people![/QUOTE]
Whatever DBT you are 2000 years old, that isn't old, it petrified. Ha ha just messing with you bud.

You all are making good points. We needed to make our free throws, we sucked in the paint, especially in the first half, the momentum changed when Tadd changed up the defense, etc. Hopefully games like this register in the memory banks and can make a difference in other big games down the road because the Pac 12 has a lot of good, evenly matched teams and we are in that group. The difference in making the tournament will come down to two or three close games and how we perform under pressure.

Just ignore them, most of these snot nosed punks don't......damn you ARE old!! ;)

Well when you miss 9 FT and you need 5 points to win... Its pretty easy to see why people would be blaming this loss on missed FTs
There are always many missed opportunities in various spots in the game. How about a single turnover that would have given the Buffs 2 or 3 points and resulted in 2 for smu? And making free throws is not just as easy as saying "make them!" - there's certainly coaching and practice involved, but with the good prior results, I expect it's not been a special focus in practice. They either go in or they don't. I wouldn't think nerves or concentration would be big issues.

Finally, every point in a close game changes the strategy. Making those 5 free throws might have meant the Buffs win by 10 with a bunch of late intentional fouls by smu. Or it might have meant full court press by smu that resulted in turnovers and points that gave smu the same margin of victory. In other words, missing shots is bad and contributed to the loss, but the details are murky.

There are always many missed opportunities in various spots in the game. How about a single turnover that would have given the Buffs 2 or 3 points and resulted in 2 for smu? And making free throws is not just as easy as saying "make them!" - there's certainly coaching and practice involved, but with the good prior results, I expect it's not been a special focus in practice. They either go in or they don't. I wouldn't think nerves or concentration would be big issues.

Finally, every point in a close game changes the strategy. Making those 5 free throws might have meant the Buffs win by 10 with a bunch of late intentional fouls by smu. Or it might have meant full court press by smu that resulted in turnovers and points that gave smu the same margin of victory. In other words, missing shots is bad and contributed to the loss, but the details are murky.
Yeah. We had a stretch where we turned it over 3 or 4 times in a row. Each of those is a lost opportunity to score and an added one for them. But we are all talking BBall 101, which even us neophytes understand. Less turnovers, check. Make your free throws, check. Make lay ups, check. Box out, check. Hey! This is SOOOO easy! Anyone can be a coach!

I don't think it was the only reason. Far from it, but you can't discredit shooting 47% at the line.

Last edited:
Back