What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: Utah at Colorado

Sitting in a line to get out of the ****ing parking lot for 35 minutes after immediately getting to my car after the game ended did not help remove any of the anger caused by that collapse in the last few minutes. Whew. That was a long breath.

I like the potential of Yaz to take a bigger role, but going on my gut. Takes time for players to get comfortable with others and system. Beyond that I am less encouraged per back court. We need confident play in the backcourt, or we are going to waste some nice talent in our front court.

Might have to rearrange things a bit, but that is Tads call.

Crap I'm still pissed off.... LOL. Oh well

Same ****, different year. Absolutely bush league guard play. Dom played well for 3 minutes and was invisible the rest of the time. Fortune was gonna be "instant offense" for us ... LOL. Talton looks the same as he did 4 years ago. We have 3 (sometimes 4) guys on the floor for long stretches who everyone in the building knows can't create, finish or simply score. Easy to defend against that.

People keep mentioning lack of killer instinct, heart, etc. ... **** that. This is a talent and recruiting issue. All five of Utah's starters can create and score. They could have run a play to anyone on the last possession. As long as we have 6-7 guys eating scholarships who pose ZERO threat to the other team offensively, these are the type seasons we'll have: glimmers of greatness, but in reality, a very average basketball program. Until we flush these guys out of the system, this is who we are.

And where would this season be without King? We'd be 4-12 instead of 12-4. And it was a random occurence that Tad even signed him.

And I'm out for tonight... time to get some sleep.

bottle_in_chainslg.jpg

I'm just sick. Where the hell is our offense? Why do we consistently go into such major scoring slumps? To me, who knows next to nothing, we don't create open shots because we just don't seem to move without the ball. I can't even recall, but it doesn't seem like we set any picks or try any pick and roll.

In terms of gut punch home loss, this is right there with that ASU loss of 2(?) years ago. There was a loss to Texas A&M our last year in the Big XII that was like this as well
RE: gut-punch losses, we only have to go back to last year (Jan 22) at Coors v. Washington.
Andrew Andrews hit that short straightaway jumper with one second remaining, putting it in to beat us 52-50.
We all know how the season went from there.

It's sad, because we perceive Tad to be a great recruiter for us.

I wouldn't go that far. Sure, he's landed a few studs for sure, but lots of complete duds as well. Utah had 5 starters on the floor who can create, score and defend. We never have more than 3, and that's been the case for years. It's a talent issue, pure and simple.

Last edited:
The only way ball movement works is if our guys move themselves too. We stand around way too much. A lot of times it looks like our guys don't know what they are supposed to be doing in the half court. I mean, I saw a few times tonight where Utah guys were denying so much their damn hand was in the passing lane. Back cut to the basket even if u don't get a shot, somebody will. They'll be chasing the ball. They don't have to when u just stand there.

To keep things in perspective, the buffs will probably go 9-9 so there is 9 losses to spread around. League has an excellent rpi so there is still a shot at a low seed in the dance.

But everyone is right. Can't lose that game. You can see the problems underneath the surface that I mentioned in the Kenan Guzonjic post. But you guys blew me up. This is the last year of Scott. Tad just has to hit on that Aussie Froling.

The weird thing is, people were worried about losing Tad to another program not all that long ago. Things change quickly these days.

Type of loss that killed my desire to even watch basketball today. Can't escape the feeling that this might be more than just a regular loss. I hope it isn't a key factor in costing a Dance ticket, but at the least I'm afraid that was the nail in the coffin for a special season (unless XJ magically returns). Long gone were the Buffs that led the nation in consecutive games of scoring 80+. Decisions down the stretch last night were puzzling, to say the least.

We've still got Oregon, Cal and Arizona at home. That's nice in that we have chances for big wins, but are we prepared to drop no more than 1 of those? If not, CU will have to be a level of good on the road that we haven't ever seen if we want to avoid an 8-10 type situation. This is a tough year to rely on road wins.

Type of loss that killed my desire to even watch basketball today. Can't escape the feeling that this might be more than just a regular loss. I hope it isn't a key factor in costing a Dance ticket, but at the least I'm afraid that was the nail in the coffin for a special season (unless XJ magically returns). Long gone were the Buffs that led the nation in consecutive games of scoring 80+. Decisions down the stretch last night were puzzling, to say the least.

We've still got Oregon, Cal and Arizona at home. That's nice in that we have chances for big wins, but are we prepared to drop no more than 1 of those? If not, CU will have to be a level of good on the road that we haven't ever seen if we want to avoid an 8-10 type situation. This is a tough year to rely on road wins.
I think you are way over hyping the loss. Sure, maybe it's a sign of real problems. But the way I like to look at is that it has given Tad a focus on what needs to be fixed and that he will get it fixed. In '11-'12 we lost to Wyoming and Stanford in Boulder. In '12-'13 we lost to UCLA, ASU, and OSU in Boulder. It happens.

Last edited:
I think you are way over hyping the loss. Sure, maybe it's a sign of real problems. But the way I like to look at is that it has given Tad a focus on what needs to be fixed and that he will get it fixed. In '11-'12 we lost to Wyoming and Stanford in Boulder. In '12-'13 we lost to UCLA, ASU, and OSU in Boulder. It happens.

It's a 30+ game season, I'm not professing the season over. As I said, we can easily still make the NCAA Tournament. However, a regular season loss rarely has as many missed key opportunities as this one. We entered this game with many having hopes of 11 or 12 Pac wins. That's realistically out. Chance for a valuable top 50 win. That's out. Chance to go 2 games up on a key top 4 competitor and hold the tiebreaker for the time being. That's out. Now we're tied and they hold the tiebreaker. I also wonder what an epic fail down the stretch does to confidence. One game doesn't kill a season. I'm merely saying that this loss is far more harmful than, say, losing at Cal or even an OOC home loss like Wyo. Even Tad seemed to be putting more weight on this one with his phone call and comments about holding home court.

Last edited:
It's a 30+ game season, I'm not professing the season over. As I said, we can easily still make the NCAA Tournament. However, a regular season loss rarely has as many missed key opportunities as this is one. We entered this game with many having hopes of 11 or 12 Pac wins. That's realistically out. Chance for a valuable top 50 win. That's out. Chance to go 2 games up on a key top 4 competitor and hold the tiebreaker for the time being. That's out. Now we're tied and they hold the tiebreaker. I also wonder what an epic fail down the stretch does to confidence. One game doesn't kill a season. I'm merely saying that this loss is far more harmful than, say, losing at Cal or even an OOC home loss like Wyo. Even Tad seemed to be putting more weight on this one with his phone call and comments about holding home court.
Hopefully, this game is a wake up call that we take to heart. Especially Josh Fortune. His head was not in the game.

Hopefully, this game is a wake up call that we take to heart. Especially Josh Fortune. His head was not in the game.

We really, really need Fortune to get out of this slump. Consistency was a major issue for him at Providence, so it's not surprising, but he cannot be turning the ball over like this. Also, I expected a low scoring game last night, but we are now averaging like 58 ppg in Pac play. Have to get the offense going

I'm really disappointed in JF's performance overall. Maybe it was just hope that the new guy from the East would be a star, but he's not a game-changer for the most part.

There's a tendency for (some of) us fans to be dissatisfied with anything less than a dominant team. So being on the NCAA bubble is not ok. But I'm afraid that's where we're headed, so my focus is seeing us on the right side of the bubble. Of course I'll gladly take a conference championship if things fall out way -

Fortune's scoring is still up from Providence. His final season he averaged 8.4 ppg and that was being a starter in all 35 games averaging 33 minutes. That Friars squad scored in bunches though. He didn't need to be a big scorer every night.

Fortune's scoring is still up from Providence. His final season he averaged 8.4 ppg and that was being a starter in all 35 games averaging 33 minutes. That Friars squad scored in bunches though. He didn't need to be a big scorer every night.
He doesn't need to be a big scorer every night here. He just needs to not suck.

He doesn't need to be a big scorer every night here. He just needs to not suck.

It would be nice if we were getting 8-10 from him on quiet nights instead of 4. How about 2 of King/Fortune/Fletch being on each night instead of 1.

Starting with Penn State, Fortune has scored 13, 15, 3, 10 and 4. We really need at least 10, minimum 8 pts from him depending on minutes played. And of course smart ball handling to go with the scoring.

Without looking back at the stats, it seems that in all the losses CU has received less than stellar offensive contributions from more than one or two players. And less than stellar play from the point guard position. On top there are the untimely turnovers which exacerbate the offensive woes.

As someone else in this thread has pointed out, there are times when there is no movement off the ball and that makes it hard to get things going too. Boy do they stagnate for long periods of time. To me this starts with the point guard, but it's not only his fault.

Fortune just needs to play basketball and quit pressing. Just play within himself and relax, he's forcing it. Coaching down the stretch last night was brutal, hopefully coaches and players learned something about closing.

A close loss to a team that beat Duke in what was essentially a road game. Utah will go a couple rounds into the tournament.

A close loss to a team that beat Duke in what was essentially a road game. Utah will go a couple rounds into the tournament.

I've become the "Utah hater" lately, but this is also a team that got smacked around by Furd & Cal and has a HUGE problem in the backcourt. Honestly, I'm not even sure they dance.

And no, I'm not hitting panic on CU's season yet either.

I'm not going to hit the panic button....but it doesn't soften the blow any on what amounted to one of the worst coached games I've seen in a couple years from a coach that seemingly always struggles in tight games. Feels like when we win a close game it's a mistake. Frustrating.

I'm not going to hit the panic button....but it doesn't soften the blow any on what amounted to one of the worst coached games I've seen in a couple years from a coach that seemingly always struggles in tight games. Feels like when we win a close game it's a mistake. Frustrating.
I don't think reality fits your perception. Tad wins a lot more close games than he loses.

Back