What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Michigan State/Mel Tucker Hate Thread

You rang?

man prevails GIF
Yo... what is with the Andy Reid gif?

Would they have canned him if MSU was 4-0? Not so sure about that. This may be desire meeting opportunity. I'd like to see Mel take the position that he was fired because he sucked as a coach, therefore entitled to his full payout.

So I'm sure I'm wrong, but if he has a turpitude clause in his contract, and he admitted to an extra-marital wanking situation with a MSU contractor which resulted in a) a title IX complaint against him and b) a media leak that resulted in negative publicity firestorm, isn't that an open-and-shut case for terminating the contract with cause?

I mean, morality clauses are kinda stupid, but since he had one in his contract and I'm going to assume it wasn't added after he signed it, he has to abide by it in order to uphold his end of the contract. Frankly, I don't see an valid argument that what he did - consensually or non-consensually - didn't violate that clause.

So I'm sure I'm wrong, but if he has a turpitude clause in his contract, and he admitted to an extra-marital wanking situation with a MSU contractor which resulted in a) a title IX complaint against him and b) a media leak that resulted in negative publicity firestorm, isn't that an open-and-shut case for terminating the contract with cause?

I mean, morality clauses are kinda stupid, but since he had one in his contract and I'm going to assume it wasn't added after he signed it, he has to abide by it in order to uphold his end of the contract. Frankly, I don't see an valid argument that what he did - consensually or non-consensually - didn't violate that clause.
I completely agree with you except. . . .

As some of our lawyers here and maybe non-lawyers as well when you are talking $90 million it becomes worth arguing about.

And the first thing you argue about is the wording and the meaning of the contract. The contract has a turpitude clause but did they define it? Is what he did turpitude or just bad judgement? This is a part that I hate but the lawyers will bring in questions about consent, about why she didn't stop it and/or report it sooner, did she "lead him into it?"

I believe that in the end they will settle and I think the settlement will be much lower than some of the lawyers here think it will be but neither side wants to see this thing end up in an open court.

If they are smart universities and many other organizations across the country will be looking at this case and quickly rewriting their policies and contracts to be much more specific about what violates the contract.

He has an argument that consensual sexual conduct doesn't violate the clause. Unless there's a university policy prohibiting sex with vendors, he has enough to get paid in a settlement.

He has an argument that consensual sexual conduct doesn't violate the clause. Unless there's a university policy prohibiting sex with vendors, he has enough to get paid in a settlement.

I can see that argument, and I guess the vagueness of "moral turpitude" is where he might be able to make his case.

From a standpoint of "is having phone sex with someone you're not married to and you work with in your role as an employee of the university immoral enough that it causes embarrassment to the university" (or whatever the wording is), it seems pretty straightforward.

ETA - I'm also not charged with the financial well-being of the MSU athletic department, so I'm not worried about losing in a jury trial and getting stuck with $85 million payment to a guy who doesn't work for me anymore.

I can see the idea that MSU will want to settle.

From a standpoint of "is having phone sex with someone you're not married to and you work with in your role as an employee of the university immoral enough that it causes embarrassment to the university" (or whatever the wording is), it seems pretty straightforward.
Would you feel comfortable making that argument to 12 people that couldn’t figure out how to get out of jury duty…with $70+m on the line?

The way I'm reading this portal stuff in regards to these kids is their choice is to essentially drop out of school for the rest of the semester and then enroll elsewhere for spring semester or finish the season at MSU and then hit the portal. Unless there's a school out there that would let a kid enroll at the end of September?

The way I'm reading this portal stuff in regards to these kids is their choice is to essentially drop out of school for the rest of the semester and then enroll elsewhere for spring semester or finish the season at MSU and then hit the portal. Unless there's a school out there that would let a kid enroll at the end of September?
Northwestern is on the quarter system.

I mean, morality clauses are kinda stupid, but since he had one in his contract and I'm going to assume it wasn't added after he signed it, he has to abide by it in order to uphold his end of the contract. Frankly, I don't see a valid argument that what he did - consensually or non-consensually - didn't violate that clause.
He makes an argument against moral turpitude violation based on Michigan case law in his 25 page response to the notice of termination.

I can see that argument, and I guess the vagueness of "moral turpitude" is where he might be able to make his case.

ETA - I'm also not charged with the financial well-being of the MSU athletic department, so I'm not worried about losing in a jury trial and getting stuck with $85 million payment to a guy who doesn't work for me anymore.

I can see the idea that MSU will want to settle.
There are two clauses for early termination in his contract. I think MSU will base their argument on “ridicule, embarrassment to the university” more so than the moral turpitude clause, although they do mention it in their termination letter.

Cal Berkeley. They’re on the quarter system.

They can transfer, but they cannot play this current season for the new team . If they’ve already played 4 games (just like a redshirt) they lose the year of eligibility too.

I believe, assuming there's nothing special after a coach's firing, that players in normal cases can play UP TO 4 games in a season and retain their redshirt.

With MSU (like most schools) only 4 games in this season, be interesting to see who and how many of their starters are suddenly not playing this Saturday when they play game 5 facing the Hawkeyes in Iowa City.

Back