What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Pac-12 Championship Buffs vs. Washington Score Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CU has been blessed this season, especially the last few games. Almost every time we've needed a TO, a big play or a call to go our way, it has. W looks like the better team on paper and likely should win by 10 to 14 (they gave up 7 interceptions this year), but, sometimes dreams come true and this could be one of them. I'm not sure what 'serendipity' means, but I think it fits the Buff's season.

Very proud of our players. Going 'worst to first' takes a hell of a lot of commitment and belief in oneself.

Go Buffs.

Have you guys learned nothing this season?
DRINK THE KOOL AID!!!

MM will have them prepped and ready!
Their goal all season was teh p12 champinoship, and htey have to go 1-0 to get it!

Not much difference between #4 and #8...here's the score:

CU: 37
PUPPIES:24
That is a BIG difference!!!!

Just out of curiosity, how many UW games have you watched this year?

A couple of things with the way that I look at metrics ... first, I look primarily at conference games in trying to compare teams in conference ... it's apples to apples that way. Part of the reason that I also look at YPC and YPA is because I want to see what kind of explosive play potential you are getting in the passing game. In conference, the Buffs rank 3rd in yards per attempt (behind UCLA and UW) but 7th in yards per attempt. That tells me that there are opportunities for big plays when you make a completion and that matches what I saw with the coverage ... press short and intermediate while forcing shots over the top. I haven't seen much of Colorado playing in prevent ... if they are it's likely in the games where they are up big playing inferior teams. By and large the YPC has been in the 12-13 yard range for most of the games for Colorado. Actually, UW and Colorado are basically identical in yards per attempt in the passing game at 6 yards per attempt. The big difference is that UW gives up on average about 2 yards less per completion as predominately teams are forced to throw check downs on UW without the ability to hit explosive plays over the top ... that stems from IMO UW trusting their athletic talent and fundamentals to come up and make tackles whereas Colorado plays more aggressively. Both strategies have worked well for each respective team. Come tomorrow night though, the data would tell me that UW has the better chance to make explosive plays in the passing game.

Regarding UW not seeing a pass defense like Colorado, the metrics would tell me that USC is very comparable in the passing game. I'd definitely say that USC's CBs are more athletic than Colorado's ... and that's not slighting Colorado's DBs. The biggest issue that UW had against USC was their inability to run the ball that turned them 1 dimensional as UW had 27 carries for 17 yards and got hurt with sacks. It was definitely a below average passing game at 17 for 37 for 259 (7 yards per attempt, 15.2 yards per completion). It wouldn't shock me tomorrow if Browning's completion percentage was in the 50-55% range ... the bigger question is whether or not the yards per completion though is in the 14-16 yard range (on the season in conference UW is averaging 15.3 yards per completion).

From what I've seen of Colorado's front, I don't think that they'll be successful 7 on 7 in the run game. I could be wrong ... but if Colorado doesn't bring an 8th man down to the box to account for the RB I don't see a lot of success for them in trying to slow down the run game with 7 in the box versus 7 run blockers in 2 TE sets. With the exception of the USC game, UW in conference has run for at minimum a 4.8 yard per carry average. You mention the coverage sack ... and that's worth discussion. Browning has shown an ability to step up in the pocket and extend plays ... it often can create a number of explosive plays. I don't disagree with you that if Colorado can get you behind the chains that that's where their defense has shown the ability to be very successful and turnovers become an issue. To me, it's one of the primary reasons why UW needs to make sure that they are fully embracing the run game and stay in situations where they are no worse than 3rd and 7 or less ... anything in that range puts you in a spot that it's a doable pickup with something as simple as a quick slant or out route.

The part where I am a little confused is saying that UW hasn't stopped a good running game ... clearly haven't watched UW play. Stanford is all about the run game ... 30 carries for 29 yards. USC was 3.1 yards per carry. Utah was at 4.5 yards per carry ... Troy Williams had a series of nice scrambles that helped (and I consider Troy much more mobile than Sefo). The problem when looking at our run stats is understanding context of the game. If you look at what Oregon did on the ground to UW, it looks nice. They also lost 70-21 and a lot of those yards came in the 2nd half. Oregon St ran the ball 30 times for 177 yards ... pretty sure 75 of those yards came on a fly sweep in the 2nd half of a game that was in bed by halftime. Running the ball has not been a successful strategy against UW unless you basically have an elite athlete at the QB position ... which Sefo isn't.

Based on your work above, it would be interesting to solicit your analysis that compares the beauty of Emilia Clarke versus Hanna Davis. (Google both, you won't be disappointed)

I imagine that it would be very quantitative and septic. Your detailed metrics that evaluate the distance between eyeballs in relation to the triangulation of the nose, and the height, weight, hip, waist, breast metrics would certainly determine your winner. A pimple on the ass of either one could swing the balance either way.

PS: a discussion of the warrior spirit that inhabits the hearts of both Browning and Liufau is missing from your insufferably long analysis. Nobody puts anal in analysis like you.

Pretty sure if Washington had played a top 10 team on the road in non-conference, they'd be sitting at 10-2 right now as well. This game is very even.
Or that CU would be 11-1 if we'd played Rutgers at home instead of Michigan on the road.

Actually, we might be 12-0 since if you change the game you likely change the fact that our defensive captain at OLB and our Kicker don't go down to season-ending injuries that week with our QB was lost for 3 weeks.

If you are looking hypotheticals trade Michigan for Rutgers and there is a very good chance that Sefo isn't in a position to get hurt at the point in the game that he did. We win the game and leave it with a healthy QB, which also means that we have a much better shot at beating USC.

McCartney also very well could have been on the sideline watching his backup play as well so we also don't lose a top edge defender.

Had this vivid dream after taking 40mg of Melatonin with my Johny Walker Red Label night cap and a shot of NyQuil thrown in for good measure: Leavitt found a hidden weakness in how UW blocks the pass rush. Browning, who holds the ball to long, got hurried and sacked all night. It was Gillam with the delayed blitz on passing downs. He came in like a rocket...like what he did to Manny Wilkins except all night long. CU won the game 17 to 3! When I woke up I thought it had happened.

Rewatched the Washington-Utah game this am. The Dawgs did not look any better than the other ranked teams that the Buffs have played this year. In fact, I am hoping that since the Dawgs haven't really had that hard of a schedule. That the Buffs can punch them in the face (like Meatchicken), and keep em down all game. Buffs win 24-20

what-s-your-prediction-o.gif

At this point...don't care. 1-0.
And for this game, let's just go 1-0 on every play. Every player just win the current play.

I've watched 9 udub games this year -- all of the conference games. See, I don't look at the games like a homer. As the saying goes, I "put my money where my mouth is" if you catch my drift.

Here's what I've seen from udub... great team speed. Quick team who makes up for technical deficiencies with pace. Untested. Udub has been fortunate to not really play many good, healthy teams. Cake non conference all at home. Shaky against anyone who shows competence.

How many CU games have you watched?

I doubt the number to be very high. Otherwise, you'd be a lot more concerned since udub has had great difficulties against above average defenses. Hidden within your copious notes is the assumption that CU's players simply aren't very good or fundamentally sound. Teams have made this mistake this season. The metrics disagree with your notion that we don't have highly skilled players or that we can't game plan to confuse your relatively inexperienced QB. You mentioned the USC game. We have a better defense than USC. Why wouldn't you envision problems? Just because you use flawed metrics and assume we aren't athletic or skilled....

Interesting you mention Stanford. I'd hardly compare us to them since their passing attack is extremely remedial. It's pretty easy to stop a one dimensional team, especially one who has a piss poor receiving group.

You're set with the YPC metric, which is a bad one. If a team sees a ton of volume (as both teams have) the better route would be to look at their effiency in denying catches. We'll have to disagree about how we play defense since your concept is based in some awful assumptions noted above.

I also think that your preference here exists to cover up for the fact that udub concedes far more completions than Colorado. Even including the cupcakes, udub allows >10% higher completion percentage per game. At a clip of a 1/2 yard more per attempt than Colorado, I'd say it's the udub defense who ought to be concerned with explosive plays.

I'd also have great concern since we don't let teams complete passes at a high rate (<49%). Picking up first downs on throws Browning makes against scrubs will probably not be available tonight. You're mistaken to think Browning will automatically complete 55% of his passes. Think more like 49-50% for 5ish per attempt.

I had mentioned that I had watched in detail the last 2 games ... which are in my opinion very indicative of how Colorado is playing at the moment. What a team did in September and October matters to the resume ... but may or may not be indicative of what the team is today.

As for my referencing of Stanford, it was in response to the notion that UW can't stop a running game. It was not in trying to compare what Colorado does to what Stanford does.

I agree that completion percentage CAN matter. But with the way some teams play, completion percentage CAN also be overrated. For example, Sam Bradford is completing over 71% of his passes this year for the Vikings ... would you say that the Vikings have a successful passing game? If an offense is completing a high percentage but are full of check downs and inconsequential passes, does it really matter? That's why I compare about yards per completion ... it's a measure that tries to magnify how explosive an offense is through the passing game. Is it perfect? No ... but few things are in measuring statistics. It's why you have to measure statistics against what you see with your eyes.

The other thing with statistics is that depending on bias you can spin in any way possible. It's one of the reasons why I use conference only ... it eliminates noise and keeps consistency better. That being said, the reality is that teams do things differently depending on the situation ... again, why you need to measure what you see versus what you get in the data. There's a massive difference in what UW has done throughout the year in the 1st half and the 2nd half ... does that mean that they tire easily? Fail to make halftime adjustments? Lots of backups playing? You have to watch the games to have a great feel.

As for completion percentage against Colorado, the 3 best passing teams with the combination of QB/WRs most comparable to Washington in conference would be Oregon, USC, and Washington State. The completion percentage/yards per attempt/yards per completion for those 3 games are as follows:

Oregon: 66.7%, 8.9 yards per attempt, 13.3 yards per completion
USC: 67.6%, 9.7 yards per attempt, 14.3 yards per completion
Wazzu: 49.1%, 6.1 yards per attempt, 12.5 yards per completion

I've talked previously at length about what I thought that Colorado did well against Wazzu ... it was a very strong game plan. Oregon/USC athletically are at a different level than Wazzu ... Wazzu is largely scheme. You can question Browning but he was offensive player of the year in the conference. Ross is the kind of receiver that there are few of in the conference (think JuJu Smith Schuster as a comparable). And like Oregon/USC, Washington strives to achieve balance in the run/pass game where Wazzu is so heavily pass.

I've said previously that I'm very impressed by Colorado's defense and the job that Leavitt has done there. He's getting the most out of the defense ... that's great coaching ... and the results from the defense tell you that comparatively to most teams Colorado's athletes are not taking a back seat. I do think that there's a bit of a difference between for instance Colorado and USC's athletes (it's why USC was +177 in offensive yards gained in the game) ... and for the record I think that USC has slightly better athletes than UW has in most places. It's not that I think Colorado is bad ... far from it. I do think that there's a gap athletically between Colorado and Washington ... just like I would say that there's an athletic gap between Washington and Alabama. I think that based on the numbers, most here are anchoring that there isn't a difference between the teams. Pointing to how "close" the USC game was comparatively to the UW game versus USC as another data point ... whereas the closeness in the USC/Colorado game to me was largely dictated on the turnovers that Colorado was able to force.

I had mentioned that I had watched in detail the last 2 games ... which are in my opinion very indicative of how Colorado is playing at the moment. What a team did in September and October matters to the resume ... but may or may not be indicative of what the team is today.

As for my referencing of Stanford, it was in response to the notion that UW can't stop a running game. It was not in trying to compare what Colorado does to what Stanford does.

I agree that completion percentage CAN matter. But with the way some teams play, completion percentage CAN also be overrated. For example, Sam Bradford is completing over 71% of his passes this year for the Vikings ... would you say that the Vikings have a successful passing game? If an offense is completing a high percentage but are full of check downs and inconsequential passes, does it really matter? That's why I compare about yards per completion ... it's a measure that tries to magnify how explosive an offense is through the passing game. Is it perfect? No ... but few things are in measuring statistics. It's why you have to measure statistics against what you see with your eyes.

The other thing with statistics is that depending on bias you can spin in any way possible. It's one of the reasons why I use conference only ... it eliminates noise and keeps consistency better. That being said, the reality is that teams do things differently depending on the situation ... again, why you need to measure what you see versus what you get in the data. There's a massive difference in what UW has done throughout the year in the 1st half and the 2nd half ... does that mean that they tire easily? Fail to make halftime adjustments? Lots of backups playing? You have to watch the games to have a great feel.

As for completion percentage against Colorado, the 3 best passing teams with the combination of QB/WRs most comparable to Washington in conference would be Oregon, USC, and Washington State. The completion percentage/yards per attempt/yards per completion for those 3 games are as follows:

I've talked previously at length about what I thought that Colorado did well against Wazzu ... it was a very strong game plan. Oregon/USC athletically are at a different level than Wazzu ... Wazzu is largely scheme. You can question Browning but he was offensive player of the year in the conference. Ross is the kind of receiver that there are few of in the conference (think JuJu Smith Schuster as a comparable). And like Oregon/USC, Washington strives to achieve balance in the run/pass game where Wazzu is so heavily pass.

I've said previously that I'm very impressed by Colorado's defense and the job that Leavitt has done there. He's getting the most out of the defense ... that's great coaching ... and the results from the defense tell you that comparatively to most teams Colorado's athletes are not taking a back seat. I do think that there's a bit of a difference between for instance Colorado and USC's athletes (it's why USC was +177 in offensive yards gained in the game) ... and for the record I think that USC has slightly better athletes than UW has in most places. It's not that I think Colorado is bad ... far from it. I do think that there's a gap athletically between Colorado and Washington ... just like I would say that there's an athletic gap between Washington and Alabama. I think that based on the numbers, most here are anchoring that there isn't a difference between the teams. Pointing to how "close" the USC game was comparatively to the UW game versus USC as another data point ... whereas the closeness in the USC/Colorado game to me was largely dictated on the turnovers that Colorado was able to force.
Your problem is your unintended, condescending attitude. The idea that CU doesn't have speed and athletes in the secondary is a joke. We have 3 players who will get looks in the NFL back there. The dline is above average, and some guys there may also get a look.

Your posts read like what we've heard all season. 'what a cute story, but CU has no talent'. I know you don't mean it that way, but that is how it reads. UW is a great team, but they aren't the head and shoulders above the rest of the PAC.

I can see this game going any which way.

Where you were right... udub would do well in the run game. Where you were wrong... CU's D would be prone to explosive plays.

Browning was horrible, but still not the worst QB in the game. Sefo laid an egg and handed udub the keys to a big win. Congrats.

I was trying to figure out a way to say what Manhattan said. Congrats to Washington.

Most of the season teams forced Browninv to beat them in the air to take away the run game ... Colorado went the opposite way.

I thought that Colorado needed to change that in the 2nd half but the pick 6 basically changed everything.

Browning played terrible ... the secondary was also obviously causing problems.

In the end, the biggest question I had going into the game was how was Colorado going to score ... that played out.

I can understand how what I was saying going into the game sounded the way it did ... not a lot of fun hearing what one doesn't want to hear.

Colorado has had a great season regardless of tonight ... the benefits in recruiting from this year will help to enable future sustained success for the program.

Most of the season teams forced Browninv to beat them in the air to take away the run game ... Colorado went the opposite way.

I thought that Colorado needed to change that in the 2nd half but the pick 6 basically changed everything.

Browning played terrible ... the secondary was also obviously causing problems.

In the end, the biggest question I had going into the game was how was Colorado going to score ... that played out.

I can understand how what I was saying going into the game sounded the way it did ... not a lot of fun hearing what one doesn't want to hear.

Colorado has had a great season regardless of tonight ... the benefits in recruiting from this year will help to enable future sustained success for the program.

Honestly, I didn't have the attention span to read the book you wrote.

Regardless, UDub's defense was nasty and your OL was dominant in the run game.

Washington is a deserving champion. Now represent in the Playoff.

Yeah, I want to see Udub win in the playoffs. Especially if they play Alabama. But want them to win, and USC to win big in the Rose if they go. And us to win wherever we end up. I didn't know if we would even make a bowl at all this year, so if we end up in the Holiday of Alamo I won't hate it. I'm good with whatever, but want Pac-12 to win all bowl games.

Yeah, I want to see Udub win in the playoffs. Especially if they play Alabama. But want them to win, and USC to win big in the Rose if they go. And us to win wherever we end up. I didn't know if we would even make a bowl at all this year, so if we end up in the Holiday of Alamo I won't hate it. I'm good with whatever, but want Pac-12 to win all bowl games.

At this point, I think it only helps with conference prestige in recruiting along with more money if UW gets to the title game.

After last night, I expect uw to go out and win it all, if not, stand by for me holding a grudge. Don't **** this up.

Amusing going back and reading this thread ... will be an interesting game this Saturday

could you opine as to the reasons why your coach has not had major cosmetic dental surgery to correct his rat-face? i mean, you would think he'd want to look like a human and not some kind of a circus freak. your detailed "analysis" on this matter would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back