What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Pre-Game Thread: CU @ Nebraska, September 8, 2018 @ 1:30 MT

Ain’t this grand? What a great couple of weeks to be a CU fan.

Anyone else notice how natural it is to pick up where we left off with the dooshnozzel Nebraska trolls hitting us up on game week?.

There is nothing artificial or forced about CU fans hating on the aNUs to the east.

Too bad the lamb trolls stayed away last week...we'll get to deal with them and NU again next year. And in 2023 & 2024.

Maybe. But I'm betting he'll be more impressive with his legs than his arm, especially in game 1. It appears we have faster edge defenders this season than in recent years (sure, we all loved D-Mac and Ryan Moeller, but Taylor and Lewis have another gear) and hopefully that helps with a running QB. I say stack the box, pen the QB, and see how many he completes to his guys and how many he completes to ours.

Agree. I think any frosh is going to struggle with any sort of reads, checkdowns, and having the patience to wait in the pocket. But he looks very slippery when he gets out and a more than capable passer on the intermediate to shorter routes.

In my head, Frost will have a base set of their offense that is all Pass/Run/Option and will test us everywhere. There's no reason they won't have this rehearsed to a T and finally polished. There's a lot you can do without making it too complicated within that offense he runs.

Our pass rushers will want to bring heat to get this kid's attention, but if they don't do it under control, he'll get away. When that happens, I hope we are not in man coverage and have our DBs with eyes glued on their WR's and not notice the QB running down the field (ahem, UofA).

Yeah, I'm willing to roll the dice a little, play zero coverage or maybe a little cover one, and force him to beat us with his arm. Our CBs aren't as good right now as they have been, so it's a gamble, but that would be my initial plan until he proves he can complete passes consistently.

Agree 100%. With young QB's, especially true dual threat guys, they tend to hold onto the ball too long because...

1.) they aren't used to the speed at this level.
2.) they are used to being able to get out of trouble with their legs.

I was impressed with Martinez in how quickly he made decisions with the ball (granted we only are seeing highlights). I'm guessing Frost drilled it into his head to make a quick read and then tuck it and run if nothing is there. You're better off with a young guy like him tucking and running too early than holding the ball too long. Also, Nebraska's D looked really bad, almost no pressure and guys running pretty wide open, so that makes things easier for him.

If we jam at the line of scrimmage with our big corners against their undersized WRs, I think we could frustrate him and force him into tucking too much or holding the ball too long. Its been said on here a lot, but I feel a LOT better about Taylor and Lewis' speed in containment this year than trying to stop him with last years' defense. Improved D line and Landman's sure tackling up the middle, and I'm feeling really good about slowing him down. Also, I think he might be susceptible to some punishment too, as he runs a little upright and isn't the biggest guy.

Agree 100%. With young QB's, especially true dual threat guys, they tend to hold onto the ball too long because...

1.) they aren't used to the speed at this level.
2.) they are used to being able to get out of trouble with their legs.

I was impressed with Martinez in how quickly he made decisions with the ball (granted we only are seeing highlights). I'm guessing Frost drilled it into his head to make a quick read and then tuck it and run if nothing is there. You're better off with a young guy like him tucking and running too early than holding the ball too long. Also, Nebraska's D looked really bad, almost no pressure and guys running pretty wide open, so that makes things easier for him.

If we jam at the line of scrimmage with our big corners against their undersized WRs, I think we could frustrate him and force him into tucking too much or holding the ball too long. Its been said on here a lot, but I feel a LOT better about Taylor and Lewis' speed in containment this year than trying to stop him with last years' defense. Improved D line and Landman's sure tackling up the middle, and I'm feeling really good about slowing him down. Also, I think he might be susceptible to some punishment too, as he runs a little upright and isn't the biggest guy.
Just remember Nebraska had their 1’s offense and 1’s defense in the same ‘team’. So he was playing against the 2nd-3rd team defense (assuming they kept some 2’s on the main team for substitutions). So yes, the D looked bad, but that’s because they were the backups to a bad defense last year. It remains to be seen what we will see as the first team D shut down the 2nd teamn” offense and they obviously didn’t show those on highlights. Out team needs to prepare like they are the Utah/Washington defense.

I do not feel like Martinez throws a good ball at all, and is more a running first, and throwing second QB. I would take Montez over him anyday, and it will be interesting if we can get a few really good licks on him, and maybe even get Edwards to land on him, or Nate "Hammer" Landman to hit him hard and see how he reacts.

The Husker TV show has predictions, and of course they chose the Big Red, but they have used the term "Pull Away" in the second half, and I have heard this said by many Husker fans, like they have actually "pulled away" from anyone in the last 2-3 years? The Buffs will not in my opinion go away if they are somehow down, so I just do not see the translation of having this unknown Husker team be prepared to put together an entire first game against a fellow P5 team that has been just as tested by some of the better speed and spread teams in the country. We have played against many teams better than Nebraska and will not be surprised. I just am not seeing this type of analysis? They also say we are SOFT on the outside (Worthington and Fisher will have something to say about that), and that Nebraska has the "Skill" players to make things happen?

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-colorado-prediction

So freaking jacked right now!!!

Me today "I'm really scattered today"

Wife today "anything I can do?"

Me "move the CU nub kickoff up to right now?"

Her "when's kickoff?"

Me "130 Saturday"

Her "oh that's when we're all going to the Italian festival at Belmar"

Me one blink...two blink....

Her "oh, the baby and I will go."

I'm such a good dad!

To the red attire -
After 30 years, the breakdown occurred...twins' schools both have red as a primary color and the youngest son's HS colors are red and blue.
Sigh...the things we do for our kids.

Key to a Buff win will be running the ball; if CU can own the clock, grind down the Nebraska D, and neutralize the environment in Lincoln we will have a good shot at a road win. PLUS - I love all of the different looks Chev can put in place with our dynamic ground game.

Key to a Buff win will be running the ball; if CU can own the clock, grind down the Nebraska D, and neutralize the environment in Lincoln we will have a good shot at a road win. PLUS - I love all of the different looks Chev can put in place with our dynamic ground game.

That’s the second half strategy when CU has a comfortable lead.

Getting out fast and competing in a shoot-out against a true frosh QB is also viable. The team that makes fewest mistakes/turnovers wins this one. Martinez being green vs Montez’s experience is key.

Nothing I see says CU has an O that will own the clock. Those days are gone.

Back