What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

I get why people think Texas will destroy that conference, but Texas really does not understand the room they are walking into.

The money matters (obviously), but I am still scratching my head on this move from the Texas POV.
Yup, Texas will always be Texas and they will do Texas things.

That act though will carry a lot less weight with Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, even Tennessee than it did with KU,KSU, ISU, TT, etc.

They won't be dealing with a bunch of schools that need them to carry them to relevance.

Going to be funny when Texas suggest moving the CCG and MBB tourney permanently to Jerry World.

Reaching out to the Pac-12 about a potential 20-school merger was discussed during Thursday’s Big 12 leadership call. Such a move seems to be a more favorable alternative for the Big 12 than bringing in new members, which might involve raiding the American Athletic Conference, to lift its membership back into double digits.
Of course this is a favorable alternative to the Big 12 because it’ll be the only thing that maintains the Big 12 GOR for the “leftovers”.

OU and Texas are gone. OU and Texas want individual teams scrambling for seats and KU and possibly ISU working on going to the B1G…. WVU maybe to go to the ACC… etc…. would be enough to blow up the GOR (and/or make it not worth the court battle) and leave the leftovers holding their dicks sooner than 2025. And would at least get OU and Texas off the hook for most, if not all of the remaining GOR. If most of the league is looking around and exploring options, is there really a GOR at that point, after all.

Iowa City, Lincoln, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Columbus, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign, State College. Not a lot of interesting road trip options in the B1G. And then there’s the issue of us getting the **** beaten out of us on a regular basis. Recruiting would be more difficult without a conference tie in to our historical recruiting areas. We would have more money, but that’s about the only advantage that I see. And also the red polyester factor has to be considered.
Advantages
1 Money
2 Get to beat NU every year

Disadvantages:
1. No games in good recruiting grounds
2. ****ty road trips

If you start from the premise that our ceiling is playing in the conference championship game once a decade, the extra money would probably be enough to overcome the distant recruiting grounds.

If we end up with UNLV or UNM after all the chips fall, I’m going to be pissed. Might as well add CSU if those are our best options.
If the PAC can't do better than that it will only be a matter of time until USC, Oregon, Washington are gone to greener (as in $$$$) pastures and the league becomes a glorified MWC.

So many possibilities, but majority of the scenarios don’t really help the PAC 12. The only disaster would be the PAC actually getting raided, like say USC and Notre Dame to the BIG. That would be bad.

I keep thinking about what the conference could add. Best I can see is going into Texas to add 4 there. Does adding four from Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, OK State really help? I’m not so sure.

KU, KSU, ISU do nothing for the conference in my opinion.

Limo Larry blew it not grabbing OU, OSU when given the chance.

Way I see it, there is 10% chance of upside for CU, and a 90% chance downside risk.

CU and KU add value to the B1G through the Denver and KC tv markets. PAC-12 needs the central time zone to stay relevant, so they need KU (KC tv), TCU for Dallas, TT for Lubbock, and OSU for Oklahoma City. Those are the 4 that make sense for the PAC. I am not sure any other schools make sense for the B1G from a TV perspective. I think the Texas schools aren't really attractive to them. I could see the B1G maybe going gangbusters and look to add USC and UCLA, make a true coast-to-coast conference.

The big 12 loses their best two programs and of course pac 12 fans are worried about the conference getting raided lol. Don’t worry guys, the big 12 is dead and the pac should have first pick soon. Just need to pick the right schools to be able to recruit Texas and the conference will be fine.

CU and KU add value to the B1G through the Denver and KC tv markets. PAC-12 needs the central time zone to stay relevant, so they need KU (KC tv), TCU for Dallas, TT for Lubbock, and OSU for Oklahoma City. Those are the 4 that make sense for the PAC. I am not sure any other schools make sense for the B1G from a TV perspective. I think the Texas schools aren't really attractive to them. I could see the B1G maybe going gangbusters and look to add USC and UCLA, make a true coast-to-coast conference.

Lubbock adds value? What about Houston? Fourth largest city in the US.

The big 12 loses their best two programs and of course pac 12 fans are worried about the conference getting raided lol. Don’t worry guys, the big 12 is dead and the pac should have first pick soon. Just need to pick the right schools to be able to recruit Texas and the conference will be fine.

Unless the Big Ten is intent on making a bold move of their own.

Unless the Big Ten is intent on making a bold move of their own.
The difference between a bold move for the Pac and the Big 10 are very different. Notre dame is the only bold move they can make outside of raiding some ACC schools, imo.

BIG could ask USC, Stanford, and Notre Dame to join.
In theory, yes. They could. I find that scenario to be extremely unlikely. The B1G and PAC have had a mutual relationship for decades. The Rose Bowl still means a lot to both conferences. I just don’t see one trying to poach another’s members. A far more likely scenario would be the B1G going after KU and ND. The bold move, in my opinion, is to get KU before the B1G does, and add OSU and some combination of two out of the group that includes Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston and SMU.

In theory, yes. They could. I find that scenario to be extremely unlikely. The B1G and PAC have had a mutual relationship for decades. The Rose Bowl still means a lot to both conferences. I just don’t see one trying to poach another’s members. A far more likely scenario would be the B1G going after KU and ND. The bold move, in my opinion, is to get KU before the B1G does, and add OSU and some combination of two out of the group that includes Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston and SMU.
That and the two conferences (3 actually when you include the ACC) need one another to compete nationally against the SEC if texas and Oklahoma go there

Plus I know regional considerations are becoming less important, but Stanford and USC’s travel schedule (in all sports) becomes pretty dreadful in the BIG.

I get why people think Texas will destroy that conference, but Texas really does not understand the room they are walking into.

The money matters (obviously), but I am still scratching my head on this move from the Texas POV.
I agree. I don't understand why they would do this if the goal is to win championships. As long as Texas and OU are in the Big 12, they will have a seat at the table. It seems it would be easier to make a national playoff coming out of the Big 12 as opposed to the SEC.

I agree. I don't understand why they would do this if the goal is to win championships. As long as Texas and OU are in the Big 12, they will have a seat at the table. It seems it would be easier to make a national playoff coming out of the Big 12 as opposed to the SEC.
Texas and OU have a solid path to the title anywhere other than the SEC. They have to deal with Ohio state, Michigan and penn state in the big 10 but have a solid recruiting base to beat them. Have to deal with USC in the pac but there are depth trap games. Clemson, Florida state and Miami in the ACC but those Florida schools can recruit some serious talent. The SEC is a nightmare for them.

They added value ten years ago. The Pac12 could’ve used the CTZ ten years ago. This isn’t about cable markets and TV this time. This is about establishing the highest level product going forward. TV markets, regions, etc… already matter significantly less than they did the last time there was realignment, if they matter at all, and in 10-20 years they won’t matter at all. Leagues are positioning for streaming not the cable markets of ten years ago, and the market for streaming is world-wide.

Maybe KU adds value to another power 5 for basketball based on streaming. Outside of that, there’s not a team in the Big 12 that moves the needle for any league.

The PAC needs to add schools, if any exist, that are going to make fans of other schools say, man, I really need to subscribe to the PAC network/channel/stream because there are some great games.

Back