What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

Pretty sure the 2-10 thing won't be right, but he did nail the grade for our DC.
Doesn't really bode well for the D, does it? The D performance in SLC was beyond pathetic. Watching that midget back up RB run over the Buff D like Larry Csonka was tough to watch. You have to hand it to them though, they kept sticking their chests into his facemask as they got pushed backwards....

Pretty sure the 2-10 thing won't be right, but he did nail the grade for our DC.
I didn't even know F- existed.

BTW, I googled "Matrix Analytical football" and came up with... his and Dave Bartoo's twitter feeds, which contain a link to https://www.patreon.com/cfbmatrix for which they are both co-founders. To get any information, you evidently have to become a paid subscriber. The site has a stated goal of $2500/month and is 17% toward that goal. They don't publish anything publicly available that I can see that proves their algorithm is worth anything, and the general public rewards them with $425 a month (they have levels of information at $1, $5, $10, and $15 per month).

I didn't even know F- existed.

BTW, I googled "Matrix Analytical football" and came up with... his and Dave Bartoo's twitter feeds, which contain a link to https://www.patreon.com/cfbmatrix for which they are both co-founders. To get any information, you evidently have to become a paid subscriber. The site has a stated goal of $2500/month and is 17% toward that goal. They don't publish anything publicly available that I can see that proves their algorithm is worth anything, and the general public rewards them with $425 a month (they have levels of information at $1, $5, $10, and $15 per month).
smu.gif

What is wrong with the kids who play o-line. It looks like there are plenty of big boys to go around. Why is it said that they suck so much?

What is wrong with the kids who play o-line. It looks like there are plenty of big boys to go around. Why is it said that they suck so much?
Not jelled. To much rotation, injuries, experimentation right now. They need time to play as a unit, especially some of the things Chiv is doing on O where timing and coordination are huge. Moretti, a healthy one, needs to become the norm, not the exception, in recruiting. They also need a seasoned full time coach, like a Herb Hand.

Not jelled. To much rotation, injuries, experimentation right now. They need time to play as a unit, especially some of the things Chiv is doing on O where timing and coordination are huge. Moretti, a healthy one, needs to become the norm, not the exception, in recruiting. They also need a seasoned full time coach, like a Herb Hand.

A composite Top 100 player needs to be the norm in recruiting? You sure about that standard?

You are going to be a miserable CU fan if that is your norm.

You don’t think Adams is a good coach?

This one of the things I have thought about since they promoted Adams to CO-offensive cord is Mac likes having 2 DB coaches plus that's his specialty as well so basically 3 guys coaching the DB's yet for the 0-line which is arguably the 2nd most important position group in football they put a dude there with not very much experience and other responsibilities as well. Seems to me they should probably put more of an emphasis on the OL as a whole both coaching and recruiting.

A few answers skirted along the edges of my question ranging from jelling to coaching. Again, what is the difference between a 6'5" 310 LBer from CU and one from Washington? I guess it is the meat on the hoof question. To get specific, Justin Eggers: 6-5 305 JR prior college exp. If he is any good shouldn't he be starting? Hunter Vaughn: 6-7 300. Soph. Been in system approx 3 years? If he has any talent at all....Chance Lytle 6-7 310: A coaches dream size wize. been ion system 2 years. If he has any talent at all should he not be in the mix?

A few answers skirted along the edges of my question ranging from jelling to coaching. Again, what is the difference between a 6'5" 310 LBer from CU and one from Washington? I guess it is the meat on the hoof question. To get specific, Justin Eggers: 6-5 305 JR prior college exp. If he is any good shouldn't he be starting? Hunter Vaughn: 6-7 300. Soph. Been in system approx 3 years? If he has any talent at all....Chance Lytle 6-7 310: A coaches dream size wize. been ion system 2 years. If he has any talent at all should he not be in the mix?

Yes, if they had talent, they would be in the mix. They don’t. They aren’t.

Plus they need better coaching and much more attention than Adams can give them.

So what does better coaching look like? Not trying to beat a dead horse here.

More film room? More technique work. Can meanness be thought?

Justin Eggers is a walk-on, in case you didn't know that.
Hunter Vaughn has been on campus almost 2 years.
Chance Lytle has been on campus for just over a year. He's technically entering his RS Freshman year.

So who on the Buffs roster is a legit PAC 12 player? Which coaches are legit PAC 12?
It's probably fair to assume all (minus a few depending on whos opinion you believe) are PAC 12 caliber football players, we've had a few exceptional years of recruiting. The coaching staff has shown they are capable of performing well. I don't think this is a player talent or coaching talent issue as much as it's a tackeling/dropped pass/overall execution issue. This year is one of the most exciting and pivotal years in recent memory.

It's probably fair to assume all (minus a few depending on whos opinion you believe) are PAC 12 caliber football players, we've had a few exceptional years of recruiting. The coaching staff has shown they are capable of performing well. I don't think this is a player talent or coaching talent issue as much as it's a tackeling/overall execution issue. This year is one of the most exciting and pivotal years in recent memory.

Slam on the brakes. First of all, which "few exceptional years of recruiting" are you referencing? That is a pretty incredible statement.

Second, a team cannot look as completely overmatched at times on defense (and offense) and it is conveniently just an execution issue. Of course, talent and coaching was an issue last season.

Are you looking for answers or just asking rhetorical questions?
Not rhetorical at all. There are some in this forum who suggest that CU has a dearth of talent and a lack of coaching ability.

My question is straight up.

Take it by position groups if willing.

Not rhetorical at all. There are some in this forum who suggest that CU has a dearth of talent and a lack of coaching ability.

QB - Yes to both players and coach
RB - McMillan definitely is, we’ll see on Fontenot. Not sure if Hagan would be in demand by another P5 program.
WR - Yes to both
TE - We’ll see on players. No on coach at this point
OL - Some players for sure, we’ll see on others, and yes to the Coach as well even though he’s inexperienced

DL - A few players are and the coach is a BIG we’ll see
OLB - Yes to both
ILB - Yes to both
DBs - Yes to both

Slam on the brakes. First of all, which "few exceptional years of recruiting" are you referencing? That is a pretty incredible statement.

Second, a team cannot look as completely overmatched at times on defense (and offense) and it is conveniently just an execution issue. Of course, talent and coaching was an issue last season.
Id say the past couple years we have attracted guys we haven't recently, not saying we are killing it by any means but we are definitely improving in that area. Being in the talk for a guy like Kyle Ford is a good deal. Not to mention the improved in-state recruiting and the TX recruiting. I think you might've misunderstood what I was trying to say initially.

Also, I disagree with your second point slightly. How many missed tackles, dropped passes and 3'n'outs were there? Execution is huge in the game of football. It obviously wasn't the only reason, we were overmatched at times ie. USC, but it was a major issue that cost us games. This is a team that could easily have gone 7-5.

QB: Some talent, but Montez as a top-half Pac-12 QB is questionable in my mind. Roper was a terrific hire as QB coach.

RB: Below average and depth issues. Hagan is mediocre.

WR: Clearly upgrading talent here year by year. Chev is a good coach.

TE: After thought and mediocre talent overall. Bernardi is a mediocre coach.

OL: Some talent, but a severe lack of depth. Dearth of upperclassmen in numbers and talent. Adams is a solid coach who could make the jump this year.

DL: Below average talent and there are depth issues. Coach is TBD.

OLB: Potentially some decent talent here. Position coach is solid.

ILB: Average talent with improving depth. Coach is solid.

CB: Good talent with improving depth. Position coach is good.

S: Average talent with depth issues. Position coach is good.

OC: TBD
DC: Below average

Id say the past couple years we have attracted guys we haven't recently, not saying we are killing it by any means but we are definitely improving in that area. Being in the talk for a guy like Kyle Ford is a good deal. Not to mention the improved in-state recruiting and the TX recruiting. I think you might've misunderstood what I was trying to say initially.

Also, I disagree with your second point slightly. How many missed tackles, dropped passes and 3'n'outs were there? Execution is huge in the game of football. It obviously wasn't the only reason, we were overmatched at times ie. USC, but it was a major issue that cost us games. This is a team that could easily have gone 7-5.

Improved recruiting is not "exceptional." That wording was quite exaggerated.

When you go 5-7 (with a cupcake OOC schedule), EVERYTHING plays a role. To minimize the talent and coaching issues might make you feel better, but the issues were all present, sometimes all in the same game.

Back