What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas State Game Thread

i certainly understand why some folks are pissed at a blowout win. there is the level of competition we played and the lack of intensity, especially in the first half, and montez and the o-line certainly have some work to do.

on the plus side, i think we might have the top db in the p12 in oliver. and, the d overall looks a lot better than folks thought they would, altho the competition hasn't exactly been fierce so far. and, we appear to have an actual kicker again and the special teams haven't shat the bed yet.

the intensity thing bugs me the most. we do not have the athletes yet to not bring our A game every weekend. this will become particularly obvious in conference play.

i know folks want to single out montez and he certainly needs to work on some things, but he is, far and away, the best qb we have had in many many years with far and away the most upside in many many years. and he spread the ball around well. he's going to get better.

the o-line is clearly not cohesive yet, but that's a big reason you want to start the season with patsies. they looked a bit better than last week and we still have another week to work on it. irwin is missed, but that shouldn't be an excuse-- they aren't playing fast and mean and together. lindsay is a freaking warrior and they just didn't do enough to get him through the first level, among their other flaws.

expectations are up in a big way. and, every team in conference is going to come ready this year-- our guys need to dial it up. it is too early to panic about the offense and far too early to declare the defense our strength. i think we're going to see some shootouts with this team this year in conference.

This. #perspective

i certainly understand why some folks are pissed at a blowout win. there is the level of competition we played and the lack of intensity, especially in the first half, and montez and the o-line certainly have some work to do.

on the plus side, i think we might have the top db in the p12 in oliver. and, the d overall looks a lot better than folks thought they would, altho the competition hasn't exactly been fierce so far. and, we appear to have an actual kicker again and the special teams haven't shat the bed yet.

the intensity thing bugs me the most. we do not have the athletes yet to not bring our A game every weekend. this will become particularly obvious in conference play.

i know folks want to single out montez and he certainly needs to work on some things, but he is, far and away, the best qb we have had in many many years with far and away the most upside in many many years. and he spread the ball around well. he's going to get better.

the o-line is clearly not cohesive yet, but that's a big reason you want to start the season with patsies. they looked a bit better than last week and we still have another week to work on it. irwin is missed, but that shouldn't be an excuse-- they aren't playing fast and mean and together. lindsay is a freaking warrior and they just didn't do enough to get him through the first level, among their other flaws.

expectations are up in a big way. and, every team in conference is going to come ready this year-- our guys need to dial it up. it is too early to panic about the offense and far too early to declare the defense our strength. i think we're going to see some shootouts with this team this year in conference.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm still in the same place.
giphy.gif

Sounded like, after the game, Montez had figured out how to properly run this offense. At half time Lytle told Montez to act like him. Don't run, stand in the pocket, and deliver downfield.

For whatever reason thay worked. Offense started to get running.

I am still waiting to judge this offense until after we get all our pieces back. Not having Irwin is really hurting things.

Just got home. Did it look any better on tv? cause damn. Our offense better get their **** together and quick. The Oline man?? WTF? Beutiful day and glad we won, but feels weird...

team didnt look interested in playing...oline pushed around like a bunch of patsies, montez acts like he's a two time league mvp and misses wide open receivers....play calling beyond vanilla...did i miss anything?

Honestly, I have not been on the Montez train since the beginning. He reminds me a lot of current NFL Paxton (not college Paxton). He looks like he just doesn't get it. Lazy footwork, slow progression. I want to see a pocket passer with decent mobility. Noyer? Lytle?

Just got home. Did it look any better on tv? cause damn. Our offense better get their **** together and quick. The Oline man?? WTF? Beutiful day and glad we won, but feels weird...
Wow...did you drive to Wyoming before heading home?

Yes. Because his performance against Oregon wasn't legendary and his performance against OSU was terrible and he looked awful against USC.

Absolutely looked great against Michigan when he just got thrown in...
And OU and OSU defenses were not good last year. And the first two this year? Not inspiring.

And OU and OSU defenses were not good last year. And the first two this year? Not inspiring.
Against CSU he threw for 72%, 200yds and a TD against TSU he threw for 61% 299yds and a TD, ran for another.

I think your expectations are too high, because that is decent QB play, especially given what Lindsay provides. Montez has a crazy high ceiling. You need to be patient.

Against CSU he threw for 72%, 200yds and a TD against TSU he threw for 61% 299yds and a TD, ran for another.

I think your expectations are too high, because that is decent QB play, especially given what Lindsay provides. Montez has a crazy high ceiling. You need to be patient.
I don't see it. I see his decision making as extremely poor and his footwork is lazy. Just me.

What did he leave on the field is what I'm seeing. The multiple missed passes and his non anticipatory play.

Guys on the radio were commenting on his lack of anticipation.

Last edited:
My opinion. We are allowed to have them right? Or do we need to all be on the same group think? That Montez is going to be the greatest CU QB ever?
That you have that opinion is fine. I'm calling into question the quality and legitimacy of that opinion based on fairly common football knowledge. You don't have to think that Montez is the next Kordell to know that he's not better just thrown into the game. The whole thing of, 'I can have my opinion, right?' is kind of a ****ty way of hiding the fact that your opinion in this case isn't really defensible. It's nothing personal. Your opinion just happened to score a 10 on my truly utter ****ingly ****tiness meter.

You clearly are a scholar of the game. Holy ****, remove yourself from this thread already. Not trying to be too harsh, but that is almost as stupid of a post as all of Freddie the Ram's posts combined.
Nice edit. No, I will not remove myself from this post. Why? Because I'm a CU fan and I expected more from Montez. Especially after an off season of knowing he would be "the guy".

That you have that opinion is fine. I'm calling into question the quality and legitimacy of that opinion based on fairly common football knowledge. You don't have to think that Montez is the next Kordell to know that he's not better just thrown into the game. The whole thing of, 'I can have my opinion, right?' is kind of a ****ty way of hiding the fact that your opinion in this case isn't really defensible. It's nothing personal, but in fact your opinion scored a 10 on my truly, utter ****ingly ****tiness meter.
I can give two ****s about your "meter". In fact, your thoughts of me don't really matter cause I don't know you or your opinions on jack ****. In fact, you come off as an arrogant **** so I just don't give a damn about you.

Back