What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas State Game Thread

Maybe Bish is waiting for Lindsey and Adkins to leave to have his shot at more PT in an open competition? If that doesn't happen next Spring, hopefully he accepts it and is willing to move to LB for his final two years.

Montez has a cannon but he does not have a quick release. It is really obvious when you go to the scrimmages and they have all 4 qbs throwing at the same time to 4 different receivers, he is usually the slowest release but the ball gets there faster.

What happened to the 2 RB sets that I thought were actually pretty effective against CSU? It feels like the coaches went to an entire other playbook for this game to see what worked and completely left behind the things that do work. The toss run option was effective, never saw it. The bubble screen would kill with any WR, never see it. I also remember some great posts about how the Leach system does not use TE's? Can anyone tell me why that is the case, since having a guy sitting in the middle as a safety valve would be smart!

I'll say it again, Lindsay seems to be avoiding contact to the extreme this year. There were a few instances where we only needed a yard or two and he could have gone straight ahead for 3 or 4 but have been hit. Instead, he planted, went sideways, took a less ferocious hit and only got 1. I'm not questioning his mettle, but it's frustrating to watch.
I call BS...I dare you to go see him and say that to him directly.

Maybe Bish is waiting for Lindsey and Adkins to leave to have his shot at more PT in an open competition? If that doesn't happen next Spring, hopefully he accepts it and is willing to move to LB for his final two years.
That's what it seems like to me as well.

Montez has a cannon but he does not have a quick release. It is really obvious when you go to the scrimmages and they have all 4 qbs throwing at the same time to 4 different receivers, he is usually the slowest release but the ball gets there faster.
Maybe he should shorten up his delivery some. I wouldn't mess with that now of course, off-season for that. Heard Aaron Rodgers talking about that a few years ago, that's what he did, according to him.

Worthington stands out 2 games in.
Jackson wad awesome

Defensive depth is extremely suspect. Guys like wigley, Blackmon, Akil jones etc get basically zero reps until absolute garbage time. I think it's quite telling. Our starters are ok but there's a big drop off after that. Hopefully we stay healthy

I call BS...I dare you to go see him and say that to him directly.

I would not go and tell PL that, he would whoop your A$$, but it does seem like he ran really, really hard at CSU for most of the game because it mattered a lot to him.

This game was as discussed supposed to be in hand quickly, so as the time went by, he seemed to be choosing his shots. We are missing Kyle Evans and his change of pace, but I still hope that Adkins gets his confidence 100% back and can just let it rip and not worry about injury. I am sure the poor guy is just scared as hell of another injury.

Jackson wad awesome

Defensive depth is extremely suspect. Guys like wigley, Blackmon, Akil jones etc get basically zero reps until absolute garbage time. I think it's quite telling. Our starters are ok but there's a big drop off after that. Hopefully we stay healthy
I would look into the reps more if we didn't lose 9 starters from last year, this defense needs as much game time as possible imo.

I would look into the reps more if we didn't lose 9 starters from last year, this defense needs as much game time as possible imo.
Well sure. But our back ups CB's are basically Moeller, Worthington, and Fisher. Or some combo of the 3. Then you go wigley and Blackmon. I doubt that works out in the pac 12

Well sure. But our back ups CB's are basically Moeller, Worthington, and Fisher. Or some combo of the 3. Then you go wigley and Blackmon. I doubt that works out in the pac 12
Blackmon needs reps and needs them soon, we will utilize him against teams like Washington state. I know it sounds dumb but the last position on this team I worry about is defebsuve backs, they are well cosched and athletic. Much more worried about akil/van diets coming in than Blackmon or wigley.

I'm more worried about our ability to stop the run. Oliver is going to shut down WR#1, but Edwards doesn't seem like the run stuffer extraordinaire we thought he'd be and I think Lewis is better at rushing the passer than he is filling the gap.

Also concerning, McCartney covering a RB. Pretty sure that's a no go. We might want to scrap that asap

We have very little talent at RB. I never expect us to be on the level of USC or OU, but those RBs are miles ahead of ours. We may be talented at WR and the secondary, but we've got some real holes and depth issues on this team - but I don't mean to imply we can't be good this year. We just need to stay healthy, see steady improvement from our O and D lines, and we can be pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Jackson wad awesome

Worthington and Jackson have stood out to me as well, and I'll also say that I am extremely impressed with Drew Lewis. He is an athlete

This play looks just as good as it did from the opposite viewing angle live from the stands yesterday

He almost pulled that same play off last week (with two hands instead of one) against Gallup. He's typically not out of position, but he's able to close on the ball so incredibly well even when the receiver gets a little space. Boss.

We aren't a good team.
psh. You're a classic buff fan. Ride the tide when it's high, but **** on them when they don't look perfect. They will figure it out, stop being such a douche.

psh. You're a classic buff fan. Ride the tide when it's high, but **** on them when they don't look perfect. They will figure it out, stop being such a douche.
IM NOT A DOUCHE YOU, YOU, DOUCHE!
I posted that in the first quarter and I stand behind it. I should've added a qualifier: "At this point."

So funny thing happened yesterday. On Facebook, you get a notification on what you posted on that day in the past. Some fun tidbits of my posts the past couple weeks. "Beating CSU in double OT was one of the best games as a student." "Pumped that we beat central Arkansas. Mac may be turning this around." "Christian Powell is a beast." "I can't wait to watch Connor Wood." "We beat WSU on the road time to party."

Last night after the game I hung out with some friends that follow CU football but didn't go to the game. They asked me how we looked. I said we sucked. I think it's time for us to demand a lot out of this team and they have been disappointing so far, but it's the second game. Montez looked a lot better in the third quarter. The line will vastly improve with Irwin. O-line play will thrive once they get a cohesive unit for a couple games. Phil is trying not to get hurt. The defense and their depth will grow as the season wears on.

Point being is it was only two years ago I was excited about beating CSU in overtime and now I'm pissed at two fairly comfortable wins. Stop panicking. We will be just fine.

Honestly who gives a ****. Buffs are 2-0, look kinda crappy on offense without two key starters and still basically covered the spread in both games. No amount of bitching on a message board is going to change anything so why waste energy on the anxiety? Just enjoy the ride.

Good perspective. We all agree that we weren't very good against CSU but we beat a team that is expected to be close to the top of their G5 conference by two TDs and held them to 3 points. Yes with some breaks they could have scored more but had we opened up we would have also. That game was not in doubt.

Again we mostly agree that against a poor Texas State team we didn't impress but again we won by 34 points. Tighten up the timing on some of the deep balls and we would have hit 50 easy. On the balance we got a fluke TD on the fumbled punt (but having the raw speed on the field to pick it up and outrun everybody counts for something) and had the Texas State WR not gotten tackled by the turf monster when he had the ball ahead of our entire D we would have given up a TD.

No we don't suck, no we aren't a bad team, no the sky isn't falling. The offense isn't as good as we expected it to be, the defense has given up some things but overall is better than we expected it to be.

We aren't a great team either. If we want to have a chance to beat teams like Washington and USC we have to fix some things and fix them quickly but how quickly we forget when we truly were a bad team. It may be telling that our expectations have now risen to where we can give up a total of 6 points and win two games against anybody by a total of 47 points and we are complaining.

Good perspective. We all agree that we weren't very good against CSU but we beat a team that is expected to be close to the top of their G5 conference by two TDs and held them to 3 points. Yes with some breaks they could have scored more but had we opened up we would have also. That game was not in doubt.

Again we mostly agree that against a poor Texas State team we didn't impress but again we won by 34 points. Tighten up the timing on some of the deep balls and we would have hit 50 easy. On the balance we got a fluke TD on the fumbled punt (but having the raw speed on the field to pick it up and outrun everybody counts for something) and had the Texas State WR not gotten tackled by the turf monster when he had the ball ahead of our entire D we would have given up a TD.

No we don't suck, no we aren't a bad team, no the sky isn't falling. The offense isn't as good as we expected it to be, the defense has given up some things but overall is better than we expected it to be.

We aren't a great team either. If we want to have a chance to beat teams like Washington and USC we have to fix some things and fix them quickly but how quickly we forget when we truly were a bad team. It may be telling that our expectations have now risen to where we can give up a total of 6 points and win two games against anybody by a total of 47 points and we are complaining.
I believe the tendency we have as fans is once a level of success has been obtained the expectation of continued success becomes the norm and we forget hence we came. Rose colored glasses become a thing of the past and we assume player's growth one year to the next will continue. It becomes an issue of the little things done well one year and drops off the next because of player attrition. The hilarity of it is we've wanted the Buffs to succeed for so long we have difficulty accepting success because it may not be what we envisioned it would be.

I'll throw this out, for everything that I've read about Winfree am I the only person who thinks he isn't being utilized correctly? To see him on TV you can tell he's bigger than most DBs, why not have 2 speedsters with Winfree on the field at the same time creating difficult coverage situation? The receivers we have in different sets can create so much havoc it's mind boggling..sprinkle in the TE and we've got a monster.

I believe the tendency we have as fans is once a level of success has been obtained the expectation of continued success becomes the norm and we forget hence we came. Rose colored glasses become a thing of the past and we assume player's growth one year to the next will continue. It becomes an issue of the little things done well one year and drops off the next because of player attrition. The hilarity of it is we've wanted the Buffs to succeed for so long we have difficulty accepting success because it may not be what we envisioned it would be.
Or maybe we are still in a collective buff depression from 10 years of suck. So much so that we can't get full enjoyment of our football team. If we lose, the old attitude of we suck, we don't have the right personnel, etc. comes through. If we win, we are so ingrained with the negativity, we have to pick it all apart.

I definitely wasn't happy after the win yesterday. Now a day past, I feel better. The buffs won, while still trying get all the pieces to come together. This year it is nice to have the luxury of a cupcake OOC. A few of years ago we would have been beaten or destroyed in the same situation.

So funny thing happened yesterday. On Facebook, you get a notification on what you posted on that day in the past. Some fun tidbits of my posts the past couple weeks. "Beating CSU in double OT was one of the best games as a student." "Pumped that we beat central Arkansas. Mac may be turning this around." "Christian Powell is a beast." "I can't wait to watch Connor Wood." "We beat WSU on the road time to party."

Last night after the game I hung out with some friends that follow CU football but didn't go to the game. They asked me how we looked. I said we sucked. I think it's time for us to demand a lot out of this team and they have been disappointing so far, but it's the second game. Montez looked a lot better in the third quarter. The line will vastly improve with Irwin. O-line play will thrive once they get a cohesive unit for a couple games. Phil is trying not to get hurt. The defense and their depth will grow as the season wears on.

Point being is it was only two years ago I was excited about beating CSU in overtime and now I'm pissed at two fairly comfortable wins. Stop panicking. We will be just fine.
I have feeling Phil was told to run like he's running. What does that say for the rest of the backs? Not good.

Back