What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Washington State Game Thread (10/21, 8:45 on ESPN)

Not shortsighted, I just believe that the networks have done far more due diligence than you or I. If they thought that a bunch of west coast teams playing each other in the middle of the day would outperform other conferences, they would absolutely book them. Face it, it makes way more sense in every way possible to have west coast teams play during primetime in their local markets, while also filling the late spots for the East Coast. How else would you structure it?
Oh, I know it's better for the networks. It's just bad for the Pac 12.

Oh, I know it's better for the networks. It's just bad for the Pac 12.
OK, so the Buffs play at 4:00p EST next weekend. Which of the following games do they pull viewers from on the East Coast to get this exposure?
-Miami v G Tech (ABC)
-LSU v Auburn (CBS)
-Texas v OK (ESPN)

So glad we can accommodate TV Networks time slots! While the typical (non-student) fans trying to attend are screwed with these times.
Anybody that knows me knows that I'm as hardcore CU football as they get, but I've not attended a single conference game and only watched the Arizona game on TV live this year because I just don't have the time.

Fan attendance is declining and I can guarantee you that late night games aren't helping.

Great ratings and money!!!...as we watch a football game in increasingly empty stadiums.

So glad we can accommodate TV Networks time slots! While the typical (non-student) fans trying to attend are screwed with these times.
Anybody that knows me knows that I'm as hardcore CU football as they get, but I've not attended a single conference game and only watched the Arizona game on TV live this year because I just don't have the time.

Fan attendance is declining and I can guarantee you that late night games aren't helping.

Great ratings and money!!!...as we watch a football game in increasingly empty stadiums.
Great point....minus the fact that last game was just shy of 50K in the seats and nearly a sell out.

My point was general attendance. Here is the article I was referring to.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-2016-crowds-decline-for-sixth-straight-year/

You obviously seem obsessed with trying to convince us that these late times are a good thing. More power to you, but it simply doesn't work for me and my family.
I guess that is my issue. It is unfortunate that it doesn't work as well for you and your family, but if you look at the actual data, attendance is increasing at Folsom and ratings are better when we get later time slots. If it doesn't work for you personally, I can understand the frustration but it seems disingenuous to frame it as a gigantic problem for the PAC and CU as a whole.

I guess that is my issue. It is unfortunate that it doesn't work as well for you and your family, but if you look at the actual data, attendance is increasing at Folsom and ratings are better when we get later time slots. If it doesn't work for you personally, I can understand the frustration but it seems disingenuous to frame it as a gigantic problem for the PAC and CU as a whole.
Yeah, Chris Fowler's tweet opened my eyes this weekend, so I can't argue with the facts as much as I want to. I still think the late games hurt when it comes to CFP and Heisman rankings since nobody on the east coast sees the Pac 12.

At the end of the day as long as Colorado is benefiting then I will accept it.

[QUOTE="buffedup, post: 2300360, member: 761"..... but it simply doesn't work for me and my family.[/QUOTE]

Are you implying that you and your family never go do anything away from the house at 7 pm on a Saturday night?
(Referencing the last CU home game at night and even tacking on an extra hour to start time)

I can see the late game debate go both ways and so does the reaction on this board.
Families with kids like evening games because it allows full family game attendance with no conflict from the days youth sports activities.
Families with kids don't like evening games because apparently no kids get to stay up late on weekends.

Older adults like evening games because they have ALL of Saturday to do whatever they want to do without the 5 hour game experience in middle of day.
Older adults don't like evening games because they want to go to bed at 9 pm instead of in the third or fourth qtr of a game.

How many people in the Eastern time zone are going to watch a Pac 12 team beat another Pac 12 team 63-49 at 2:30 AM? Not many I think.

How many people in the Eastern time zone are going to watch a Pac 12 team beat another Pac 12 team 63-49 at 2:30 AM? Not many I think.
The internet is your friend here, try checking out the scores from last weekend.

When you guys head to a Rockies game at 7p or a Broncos Sunday night game do you sit and complain about the time then as well? I am genuinely not sure where the angst is coming from on this.

In what world do the Rockies or Broncos ever play at 8:45 at night? Monday/Sunday is 6:15-6:30 and the Rockies only played a 7:10 game twice this season. Now if you want to talk about the 8-8:30 starts when they play on the west coast? I complain about that too, but that’s during the week and I can’t stay up to watch that.

[QUOTE="buffedup, post: 2300360, member: 761"..... but it simply doesn't work for me and my family.

Are you implying that you and your family never go do anything away from the house at 7 pm on a Saturday night?
(Referencing the last CU home game at night and even tacking on an extra hour to start time).[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn’t tell you why it doesn’t work for us?

That’s because it’s none of your ****ing business!

But I’ll educate your extreme ignorance. Children’s ability to stay up late is directly correlated to their age and maturity. An 8 year old is very different from an 8 month old. You also can’t just leave them home alone, like a pet. I can draw a picture if that helps.

In addition, what your spouse wants/is willing to accommodate for late night games is a very significant reality in life.

You may just figure these hard truths out someday!

In what world do the Rockies or Broncos ever play at 8:45 at night? Monday/Sunday is 6:15-6:30 and the Rockies only played a 7:10 game twice this season. Now if you want to talk about the 8-8:30 starts when they play on the west coast? I complain about that too, but that’s during the week and I can’t stay up to watch that.
Did you watch the first Broncos game this year?

Not shortsighted, I just believe that the networks have done far more due diligence than you or I. If they thought that a bunch of west coast teams playing each other in the middle of the day would outperform other conferences, they would absolutely book them. Face it, it makes way more sense in every way possible to have west coast teams play during primetime in their local markets, while also filling the late spots for the East Coast. How else would you structure it?

Several things here-One, there's a huge difference between kicking at 5 or 6 and 9, so your Bronco analogy doesn't hold water. Two, these times suck for the fans who go. I was at the lightning delay game with Oregon in 2015 that didn't start here until after 9pm MT, and I didn't get home until close to 2am. Three, they don't help us in recruiting. This is a 9pm kick here (which is 10pm in Texas, where we also recruit..........and 11pm in Florida and Georgia, and we recruit there, too). Four, these times hurt the conference as a whole. Washington (who is probably our only CFP contender at this point) hasn't had a kick earlier than 5pm Pacific. If they miss the playoff at 12-1 or 13-0, that's going to be what their fans are going to point to first.

Larry Scott made a critical mistake with the start-up of the Pac 12 Networks. Obviously, there's the DirectTV issue. Given we've got a bazillon other threads on that already, I'm not going to say much more about it. More importantly, he decided to go off on his own to start the Pac 12 network, versus using ESPN, FOX, etc. as a partner. It hurts our schools-the SEC sold a huge chunk of their network to ESPN, and the Big 10 has a similar arrangement with FOX. They're both making more per school than we do with 100% of the revenue. This is strange, because nine of the top 35 TV markets in the country are in the Pac 12 foot print (LA, SF, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Sacramento, SLC, San Diego, Portland) according to Nielsen. Here's my point-if you get a TV partner to invest in and help with your third-tier network, they're going to be more willing to put non-national brands (like Purdue on 9/23) on national TV in the late afternoon and early evening (forget the 10am MT kicks) on a Saturday when everybody can see them because they've got a stake in the success of your third tier.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult.
FWIW, raised two kids as Buff fans, through 19 football and basketball seasons.

(Referencing the last CU home game at night and even tacking on an extra hour to start time).

Oh I didn’t tell you why it doesn’t work for us?

That’s because it’s none of your ****ing business!

But I’ll educate your extreme ignorance. Children’s ability to stay up late is directly correlated to their age and maturity. An 8 year old is very different from an 8 month old. You also can’t just leave them home alone, like a pet. I can draw a picture if that helps.

In addition, what your spouse wants/is willing to accommodate for late night games is a very significant reality in life.

You may just figure these hard truths out someday![/QUOTE]

Back