What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting - a big problem

With Huckins & Kronsage committed, the panic meter is no longer pegged. It seems we are making some progress in OL recruiting, although we still have a ways to go, IMO.

Yes - no panicking - but we still have a long way to go, and frankly it would be nice to find a top-tier OT.

Yes - no panicking - but we still have a long way to go, and frankly it would be nice to find a top-tier OT.

You can win a lot of games with 3* OL who know the system and play well together. It would be nice to see a few 4* and 5* players in the mix, though.

You can win a lot of games with 3* OL who know the system and play well together. It would be nice to see a few 4* and 5* players in the mix, though.

Agreed but typically those guys are more effective once the mature and 3* ol with 3-4 years in the system is often a pretty good option. The problem for us is we dont really have 3-4 years to wait.

I personally do not even care about star ratings at this point. The coaches have impressed me with their eye for talent so far (guys under the radar) and with these two big cats working together all during their high school years is going to help. The amount of Texas kids entering the program and the history of work ethic from Texas high school ball - will be huge... next season we will see an improvement. In two or three years, LOOK out - here come the MIGHTY BUFFS back on the scene!!

Agreed but typically those guys are more effective once the mature and 3* ol with 3-4 years in the system is often a pretty good option. The problem for us is we dont really have 3-4 years to wait.

Maybe not 3-4 years, but certainly 2-3 years, IMO. I would be very surprised if any of the OL we recruit in this cycle plays as a freshman or even a RS freshman. Most likely they'll first see the field in 2015 at the earliest.

We need to be seeing some more success in CO and CA before we can officially declare OL recruiting on stable ground. After all, CA recruiting is a major reason we are in the PAC-12. There are only so many quality prospects we can lose out of our backyard or CA kids to other PAC-12 schools before it puts us in a bad spot.

We need to be seeing some more success in CO and CA before we can officially declare OL recruiting on stable ground. After all, CA recruiting is a major reason we are in the PAC-12. There are only so many quality prospects we can lose out of our backyard or CA kids to other PAC-12 schools before it puts us in a bad spot.

While I agree with you, it's good to see us getting some Texas beef on the OL. They raise a different breed of O-Linemen in Texas.

Not really. Reconnecting with the California fan base was important but the ability to get into a better revenue sharing situation was a prime driver. Recruiting CA had little to do with the decision to join the PAC. If you look at the history of CU, we have always recruited the west coast very well. CU had lost the Texas pipeline the last few years under Hawkins. To be successful, CU has to recruit well in both CA and TX regardless of the conference we are in at the time. Look at Oregon - they have dipped into Texas for key recruits.

While I agree with you, it's good to see us getting some Texas beef on the OL. They raise a different breed of O-Linemen in Texas.

Many years ago one of my work colleagues had a son who was an All-State player in CA (DT). A promotion ended up having the family transfer to Texas - I had dinner at their home one evening and was asking the young man the difference between CA football and TX football at the HS level. He said that he thought there was a lot of athletic talent in both states but the players in Texas were better coached and had better technique. He later played for A&M. Just reinforces what you are saying.

Many years ago one of my work colleagues had a son who was an All-State player in CA (DT). A promotion ended up having the family transfer to Texas - I had dinner at their home one evening and was asking the young man the difference between CA football and TX football at the HS level. He said that he thought there was a lot of athletic talent in both states but the players in Texas were better coached and had better technique. He later played for A&M. Just reinforces what you are saying.

Completely disagree with Texas producing better offensive lineman. Since the 2003 draft, Russell Okung and Trent Williams have been the only ones drafted in the first round that were from Texas.

OL recruiting is coming along, I would still like 2 more OL added to the class. We will have 5 OL. Kough will make it 6 in the 2013 class. I am comfortable with about 18 OL on Scholarshp.

Completely disagree with Texas producing better offensive lineman. Since the 2003 draft, Russell Okung and Trent Williams have been the only ones drafted in the first round that were from Texas.

From the data you provided, the score is 2 to nothing...

BTW, not that easy to research, since the question was from a state, not which college attended (which is available here).

BTW, not that easy to research, since the question was from a state, not which college attended (which is available here).

Neither of those played for University of Texas, they played high school in Texas. I didn't do California because there are a lot more. Last year alone they had 2 in the first round and 3 in the first 37 which would already be more than the whole state of Texas. You can research it by going to Wikipedia and searching 2012 nfl draft and so on. It took a few minutes, but not that long.

exactly what I have been trying to say - nothing against Colorado kids, but high school football in Texas is a whole other thing!! I will take those guys working out in July and August in 100+ degree temps and usually great coaching.

Neither of those played for University of Texas, they played high school in Texas. I didn't do California because there are a lot more. Last year alone they had 2 in the first round and 3 in the first 37 which would already be more than the whole state of Texas. You can research it by going to Wikipedia and searching 2012 nfl draft and so on. It took a few minutes, but not that long.

"a lot more" == zero unless you list them. Your argument "go look it up" is invalid.

I'm not so interested in the answer that I can overcome my innate laziness to do the research, but if anyone is interested this site here would probably be of help.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2012&round=round1#round1

You can filter by year and the like and go step-by-step through the first round of the last few drafts to find out the answer to how many OL players have been taken from each state. Granted, it would also require you to click on each prospects name one by one to see their profile in order to see what state they attended HS in, but it IS possible.

For example, there were three OLinemen by my count who went in the first round last year. One each from California, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Your argument, you prove it. We are a show, not tell, group around here. If you doubt me go into the politics forum (actually, don't, you won't ever make it back.)

"a lot more" == zero unless you list them. Your argument "go look it up" is invalid.

Matt Kalil, David Decastro, Tyron Smith, Mike Iupati, Alex Mack, Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, Logan Mankins

I missed Jason Smith for Texas players

Maybe it wasn't alot more, but it was a decent amount more for just first rounders

I am not saying we do not need to double dip in both CA and TX (we do), but aren't we fooling ourselves a bit if we do not admit that CA is a more vital to success in the PAC-12? Are we really going to get where we want to be by mostly striking out on blue chips in CA? Color me skeptical.

As for downplaying the trend of us striking out on elite CO OL, I will just have to disagree. We do not need to get all of them, but we better start getting some.

As for downplaying the trend of us striking out on elite CO OL, I will just have to disagree. We do not need to get all of them, but we better start getting some.

I'll never downplay that. I still think that's a major concern and something we need to address.

Matt Kalil, David Decastro, Tyron Smith, Mike Iupati, Alex Mack, Ryan Clady, Sam Baker, Logan Mankins

Maybe it wasn't alot more, but it was a decent amount more for just first rounders

Cool, and now the carrot, rep!

David DeCastro is from (Seattle-area) Washington. He played at Stanford but grew up and graduated from Washington.

You post is so far off base...

First, I never said Texas produced better offensive linemen.
Second using a stat like only two players from Texas were drafted in the First round since 2003 is not relevant to anything. We are talking about RECRUITING TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. By the way the NFL is full of offensive linemen from Texas - I stopped counting at 20....OU has made a good living getting OL from Texas.

You post is so far off base...

First, I never said Texas produced better offensive linemen.
Second using a stat like only two players from Texas were drafted in the First round since 2003 is not relevant to anything. We are talking about RECRUITING TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. By the way the NFL is full of offensive linemen from Texas - I stopped counting at 20....OU has made a good living getting OL from Texas.

Saying they are a whole different breed suggests that they are better, doesn't it? I just don't see much of a difference between the two states. If you are talking about the midwest or southeast being a different breed, I would agree.

I have heard several recruiting guys and coaches say that there's a difference when they watch the camps in the south, including Texas. There's a toughness and competitiveness that's at a different level than when they observe the camps in other parts of the country. I believe there's something to that. Football matter more down there.

I have heard several recruiting guys and coaches say that there's a difference when they watch the camps in the south, including Texas. There's a toughness and competitiveness that's at a different level than when they observe the camps in other parts of the country. I believe there's something to that. Football matter more down there.

I don't disagree at all about the competitiveness of the camps in Texas. I just don't see the talent being better from Texas.

Back