What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Overall thoughts on the class

I understand Rivals had CU at #68 class, there are 125 teams in FBS.......So I believe we are barely buried in the bottom half. Of course if you were referring to standings then yes, 1 win would guarantee a bottom third finish. Thanks for clarifying.

There are +/-65 BCS schools, so middle of the pack is another way of saying recruiting is marginally better than the MTN, Sun Belt and MAC conference teams. Additionally, the #68 class is really not that different than the #86 class that CSU pulled in. I'm 100% Buff, but let's not sugar coat the reality. CU has recruited dead last in the Big12/Pac 12 in 3 of the last 4 years. Mike Mac needs to pull off a great coaching job and Dillon needs to be the answer next year in order to pull in a top 35 class that CU so desperately needs.

Importing the SJSU staff - desperation
I am curious why this is desperation in your eyes? this group, his "team" if you will just completed a brutal rebuilding job at a down trodden school, they are comfortable with each other and work well together. So given the enormity of th etask ahead why introduce an unnecessary variable in trying to build and all-star staff when you know how the current one operates? The real question is will he have the guts to fire people who under-perform, not why did he bring a group he knows with him.

Keeping all of JE's recruits - desperation

We can argue this point either way - I think it was curious that he did not make changes in this class but Jon & Company had done a lot of damage to our relationships on the recruiting trail, with a small class the move to start to rebuild those can be argued.

Filling in numbers with more 2* athletes - deperation

The two three stars we picked up to round out the class yesterday actually lifted this class above where Jon's transition class was ranked and that is with 19 vs 23 recruits in the former. We also appear to have fewer academic risks in this class than we did in the last transition class.

I know he's supposed to be a good field coach, and don't we need that. We will hopefully beat CSU and the division 2 teams we schedule in the future. But all this talk about getting guys that play both ways and coaching like he did in a lesser conference is a recipe for competing in a lesser conference. He stepped up to the big leagues, albeit at a down program, and now he has to step up his game, not keep doing the same ol'. I also disagree that we're guaranteed a better recruiting class next year despite our record. If we win one game next year, this program will stay buried in the bottom third.

No actually we do need that, did you watch last season at all?

Yes. "I got one thing to say coach, get to work." MMac was probably wondering who this douche is. I am officially done with that show and most of the other ones on there. Mile High Sports FTW!

In comparing Klatt's football experience with MM's, this is equivalent to an intern telling a CEO to get to work.

There are +/-65 BCS schools, so middle of the pack is another way of saying recruiting is marginally better than the MTN, Sun Belt and MAC conference teams. Additionally, the #68 class is really not that different than the #86 class that CSU pulled in. I'm 100% Buff, but let's not sugar coat the reality. CU has recruited dead last in the Big12/Pac 12 in 3 of the last 4 years. Mike Mac needs to pull off a great coaching job and Dillon needs to be the answer next year in order to pull in a top 35 class that CU so desperately needs.

Fair enough- I think we were recruiting against some of the programs in non-BCS conferences this past year, and so a case could be made that evaluating against the entire FBS was valid, but agree this is not where we want to be long term. I will say that I would prefer to see a gradual year over year class improvement than seeing this staff fall into the same pattern of reaching for the higher ranked athletes who are being passed over by top tier schools because of academic or character risks. I much prefer to see an entire class eligible and generate a bit less buzz than make a big splash on a specific recruit (2008 anyone?) only to have them ineligible or transferring in one or two years.

I want CU to build for sustained success rather than continuing to watch them gamble and lose on the quick fixes.

I used to like Joel and CJ. that was a good show. Sometime over the last year or so, JK has gone to CostCo and gotten a giant family sized tub of instant douche mix he apparently has for breakfast everyday.

Great synopsis Duff Man. I'm very excited about this class, mostly because they'll all have that chip on their shoulder because they didn't get the 4 and 5 stars behind their name. I also like the fact that we've added more speed, specifically in the WR and LB core.

But our QB signing is the real reason I'm happy this signing period. Oh how I hope he pans out because we need a QUARTERBACK IN THE WORST WAY!!! If he becomes a good quarterback in the next few years (or possibly this year) it should really elevate the entire class. I'm looking for good things from Dillon, but Sefo may be the best option for our new Pistol attack since he'll have the best wheels at the QB position.

more i look at sefo's film, the more I worry about his arm strength.

I think arm strength is over-rated when we're talking about college football. It's extremely important for the NFL where the windows become so small and the players are so savvy and athletic in the defensive backfield. For college, though, just give me good decision making and accuracy. If the OL protects, receivers will be wide open on almost every play.

He doesn't have a huge arm but it's sufficient. The things I like is he can keep plays alive and he's pretty accurate. The game I watched him on tv, he was on the money about every throw and had no protection.

It amazes me that people consistently think that as long as a guy can consistently get the ball to a location, eventually, that means he has arm strength.

Joe Montana didn't exactly have a cannon. He was on time and on the money all the time. More than one way to get it done.

No actually we do need that, did you watch last season at all?

I'm just responding to this, because the rest is all opinion. If you read my sentence, you'll see that I'm also emphasizing that we need a good on the field coach. I think you transposed words...

Sorry for arguing ole wise founder of arm strength.
heh - just because it is true doesn't mean I'm a founder of arm strength. Interesting insult though.

For example, Cody threw a beautiful deep spiral; it just took forever for it to get there. And only if his feet were set. Arm strength is more than the ball getting there. Can you get it there on a rope? When your feet aren't set? etc. Look at his videos. Sefo's throws have a lot of lift in them. As nik stated above, doesn't mean he can't be an effective college QB - but it does limit what he can do.

you're far less intelligent than you think you are
No doubt. I'm glad I have you as an enemy though. Gotta have a cupcake on the schedule.

I'm just responding to this, because the rest is all opinion. If you read my sentence, you'll see that I'm also emphasizing that we need a good on the field coach. I think you transposed words...

No doubt you are right i transposed that.

Your post is also just all opinion, is that not the purpose of a message board? For people to share their opinions.

No doubt you are right i transposed that.

Your post is also just all opinion, is that not the purpose of a message board? For people to share their opinions.

Funny, I thought that was what I said. I guess we are in violent agreement. :smile2:

Joe Montana didn't exactly have a cannon. He was on time and on the money all the time. More than one way to get it done.

Absolutely. But I also think it's fair to call Montana an outlier. He was ridiculous with his reads, anticipation and accuracy. Athleticism was severely under-rated too (PA state high jump champ in high school). For the most part, though, you need a cannon to be an elite NFL QB. I just don't agree when that logic is projected onto college where we see so many elite QBs that don't have big arms, including some Heisman winners who couldn't even run.

Absolutely. But I also think it's fair to call Montana an outlier. He was ridiculous with his reads, anticipation and accuracy. Athleticism was severely under-rated too (PA state high jump champ in high school). For the most part, you need a cannon to be an elite NFL QB. I just don't agree when that logic is projected onto college where we see so many elite QBs that don't have big arms, including some Heisman winners who couldn't even run.
agreed. However, it's never a good thing to be lofting your passes all over the place.

heh - just because it is true doesn't mean I'm a founder of arm strength. Interesting insult though.

Not an insult, just a sarcastic response to what appeared to be a belittling statement directed towards myself. I'm glad you elaborated on why Sefo's arm strength worries you, it is a good point, good opinion, you are entitled to that, and so are we. Back to the discussion:

As long as Sefo can drop 45 yard TD dimes in the corner of the endzone (as shown in the video) and make the other throws he needs to, he could be good. I am pulling for this guy because it seems we haven't had a difference maker at QB in a long time. I've endured too many losing seasons and can't take it anymore!!!

Arm strength can certainly be overrated, but one of the glaring issues with our QBs last decade has been arm strength.

Absolutely. But I also think it's fair to call Montana an outlier. He was ridiculous with his reads, anticipation and accuracy. Athleticism was severely under-rated too (PA state high jump champ in high school). For the most part, though, you need a cannon to be an elite NFL QB. I just don't agree when that logic is projected onto college where we see so many elite QBs that don't have big arms, including some Heisman winners who couldn't even run.
No doubt, I agree. Good post.

Back