1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P-10 & larry scott has their eye on the buffs

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Hugegroove, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

2. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

Very good points in the article. Nice research and interviews. Some new info about how the faculty with Colorado works on more projects with Pac-10 schools compared to big 12 schools, that is something I had not heard before.

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Oh Jon Henderson, just when I thought you were done writing about the Buffs

Other than that, a good article from that hack

4. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

No question that there is mutual interest from CU and the Pac-10; we just need to know that there is another school in the same situation (not named Texas).

5. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

I am struggling to understand the quote from Chip Kelley: "Colorado is one of the haves" ok... what is it exactly we have footballwise?

6. Hugegroove

:lol::lol::lol:

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

We got the funk, in the trunk. We are so close...., apparently we got matches, 'cuz this was place was burned down, down to the ground, we got a bubble, we got a Boyle, we got Juicebox, we got da Flatirons, we got Ralphie and a burning desire to be "in the top half of the Big 12". What more do you need?

8. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I like the idea about having the championship game hosted by the higher ranked team. That is how it should be. No more half empty stadiums. **** that ****.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

One of the best on-campus game environments in the nation, one of the top 25 programs of all time (wins & prestige), one of the few programs that have both a national championship and a Heisman winner, etc., etc. Think about this: we're coming off a decade that we consider awful. But we won the Big 12 North 4/10 years, won 1 Big 12 Championship, were within a couple hundredths of BCS points of playing in a national championship game, had 9 1st team All Americans, and in 2009 we still had 25 CU guys playing in the NFL.

Sometimes, I think we sell ourselves short. It's like Buff Nation is in a state of depression and has trouble seeing what others see. We are one of the "haves" of college football. Just like the University of Washington (a very similar program, university and media market) had several down years, it didn't change the fact that they're one of the big boys in college football. Let's not forget that CU is also in that number. Better days are ahead.

Edit: Just like the football team talked about getting their "swag" back and started acting like that this spring, we as a fan base need to get our swag back too. Screw it. I'm there. I'm going to be a cocky fan this year and from now on. And I'm not taking any more crap from fans of other teams.

AlferdJasper and buff4bcs1985 like this.
  10. Buffnik

Agree. Though I'd say higher ranked unless the lower ranked team won the head-to-head matchup earlier that season.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I like that idea. nik for Pac12 commish!

12. leftybuff

Nice. I like your thinking here....I'm bummed because I don't see things getting better in the short term, but I like the way you paint the long term picture.

13. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

even if he is BSing, i seriously feel like hugging mike riley for at least SAYING that we are still in the bigs.

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

If they're going to have one of the participants in the championship game host it, then the criteria for hosting it should be, in this order:

1. Better conference record
    2. If tied in conference record, then whoever won head-to-head match-up if they played
    3. Higher ranked team

15. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat:

16. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

Uhhh, hate to be a downer here, but Larry Scott says nothing about CU in the entire article. It seems to me that this article doesn't tell us anything new, right? Well, I guess Chip Kelley likes CU, but that's about it. I'm still being cautious with respect to the Pac 10. My concern is that it's been so anti-change for so long that it will stand pat and not do anything...

17. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

Well, that story makes it seem like a like CU will be invited, and will accept.

Obviously the Pac-10's close relationship to the Big Ten allows them some "eyes only" info and it is helping the Pac make their moves as well. Those two leagues do EVERYTHING together.

18. Buffnik

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you about the Pac... except for one thing that makes this situation completely different. You don't hire away an expensive new management team with a history of lucratively managing expansions, sponsorships and television contracts if you are going to stand pat.

19. Hugegroove

My guess here is that they have the same expectations the rest of us do in regards to the Buffs returning to being a team of the "haves" Of course, I doubt that will happen as long as Talkins is still here.

20. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

THIS NIK YOU PUMPED THIS CRAZY ****ER UP

[video=youtube;Y4oQ7tGlEUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oQ7tGlEUM[/video]

21. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

The one stumbling block that I see (and keep hearing about) is that the P-10 doesn't see the per-team revenue going up if they expand. Ultimately, this is about money and if they don't see a case where the schools get more money they won't expand (or won't invite the Buffs). For many reasons, I'd love the Buffs to jump to the P-10 but I am slightly pessimistic about it happening right now.

22. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

That, and I was also surprised DiStefano actually made a point to highlight some of CU's similarities with the Pac 10. He didn't have to do that, I would have expected the standard "The Pac 10 is great, but the Big 12 has an excellent academic, athletic, and research reputation and we are committed to ensuring the continuing success of our conference and its member schools".

23. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Why are so many fans clamoring for a move to the Pac-10? It is a weaker conference top-to-bottom, and how is getting destroyed by USC any better than getting destroyed by Texas?

Changing conferences doesn't make our football team better. I think a lot of you think that it does.

I see a big disadvantage in conference prestige here. If you are the second best team in the Big 12, you will go to a BCS bowl more often than not. Can't say the same for the Pac-10. I see the #2 spot in the B12 as a hell of a lot more of a realistic ambition when the stars align every 7-10 years than #1 in the Pac10.

There are peripheral advantages for making the move, to be sure, but I think most CU fans that are all about this just want to something new and shiny to get excited about since the program is so down right now.

When the B12 renegotiates its TV contract, I am sure that it will be more lucrative than what the Pac-10 has to offer financially. In the long run, a switch is a lateral move at absolute best.

24. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

My opinion?

1. better fit school wise
    2. better travel destinations
    3. less haves vs have nots
    4. Possibility of getting a baseball team back
    5. Rose Bowl
    6. alumni living in the Pac-10 states

25. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

buffs04 - I think that's a very short term view of the two conferences. If this move happens it won't be so we can win a few more football games. You need to take a longer term view of this - the teams on top now weren't always there and won't always be there. Just as CU hasn't always been at the bottom and won't be there forever.

26. Buffnik

Nope. It's all because we are escaping the Big 12 competitiveness so we have a chance to win at football. :wink2: :lol:

But, honestly, even on the winning front, I believe the Pac affords CU a better opportunity over the long term. On average, as I laid out in a long post a while back, the Pac and Big 12 are almost dead even in football prestige and recruiting. But the Big 12 is more top heavy, with 3 super-heavyweights in Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas. Whereas the Pac has 1 super-heavyweight in USC and then is stronger through the middle and at the bottom. Recruiting strength is about even for the conferences, too. Both are good football conferences that CU can do well in. But the AD revenue disparity from the top of the Pac to what CU brings in is within striking distance. To compare it with baseball, the Big 12 has become the American League East. If you're not the Yankees or Red Sox, you end up spending more than you should and getting less back for it because you still aren't able to spend close to what they do. It's not a good situation for CU.

27. leftybuff

As others have said, the move to the Pac 10, if it happens, is a long term move. IMO, it would be best. Cu has much more in common with Pac 10 than Big 12 schools.

Oh yeah, and eat turds UT....

28. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

You do it for a lot of reasons, many of which have been detailed here. I keep coming back to one very telling statistic, which is that there are more CU alumni in the state of California than in all of the non-Colorado Big 12 states combined. People love to talk about how CU doesn't travel well. That's a load of hooey. Look at how many CU fans went out to the ASU game a couple years ago. Or the UCLA game, or the USC game... Are you picking up on the trend, here? CU fans don't have to "travel" to the West Coast. They're already there.

29. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

The UCLA game several years ago in was great. CU had a huge turnout. Tempe was also an allsome time with a big CU crowd in all the bars pre and post game. You can't beat a trip to AZ or Cali in the fall/winter months.

30. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

My season tickets were in a space with a lot of the other teams fans. They would say to me, "wow look how many fans we brought." "How come you guys don't travel as well?"

I would then say, "No one wants to go to Lawrence."