What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

The Pac 12 needs to be careful it doesn't get outmaneuvered. Geographically, the Pac 12 is in a bad situation.

The Pac 12 needs to be careful it doesn't get outmaneuvered. Geographically, the Pac 12 is in a bad situation.
Not sure I follow. The PAC 12 is the only major conference in the Western US. Geographically, that's an advantage.

Right but one conference going to 16 teams doesn't automatically call for the rest following suit. My point was the 4, 16 team conferences pretty much hinges on the Big 12 dissolving and their members moving to P12, SEC, BIG, and ACC. If the Big 12 expands to 12 or 14, it gets them back to being a stronger conference that wouldn't need to break up.

Or it is exactly what causes the breakup. I don't know if expansion of the Big 12 strengthens or dilutes it.

One thing with expansion is that the country is changing. You've got to follow the demographic shifts and think to the future. Nevada is about to pass Kansas in population. Zero P5 schools in NV compared to 2 in KS. That's antiquated.

And to give an idea of how stupid the Big 12 was on the last round: West Virginia has a negative population growth rate, makes no geographic sense, is the smallest state population that has a P5 program, and brings nothing good to the table on the conference's academic reputation. Biggest head scratcher in all of what has gone on.
WVU theoretically brings the WMA (Wasthington, DC Metro Area) TV market. that's why they come up in ACC expansion talk all the time, especially with the loss of Mary.

Hawaii. But, man. It's a shorter flight from Los Angeles to Miami than it is to Honolulu.

Yep, that's certainly the most desirable time zone ;)

Hawaii will be travelling 45,216 miles for road games this season. The earth's circumference is 24,901.

Now that is interesting. Imagine if Mizzou and Nebraska went back. That would have huge dominoes.

Would the B1G drop Rutgers? Or would it look to pick up a UConn? Would the ACC offer them Boston College and Syracuse in exchange for getting Maryland back? :ROFLMAO:

I think Snydley is off his meds. But if true, it has to be Nebraska and Missouri. Sure as Hell ain't CU and A&M.

Nebraska has been frustrated by what the move has done to its recruiting in Texas. That's why they're throwing a hail mary with the Mike Riley hire and this silly "Calibraska" thing. They're desperate.

Missouri is an absolute mess and is a horrible fit for the SEC. Hell, they got put in the East. All well and good while Florida & Tennessee are down, but as soon as they start punching to their weight along with UGA being in there, Mizzou has no chance and they know it. I think they'd jump at the chance to play KU, KSU, ISU and NU every year with regular games against OU and OSU. That's their DNA.

But to make those happen the Big 12 would have to be looking at a media deal that paid them B1G/SEC money without it diluting other members. There's the rub.

A and m gets more money in the SEC but they already had money and it didn't win them any championships. They get crushed in that division and the initial bump they got when joining has worn off.

A and m gets more money in the SEC but they already had money and it didn't win them any championships. They get crushed in that division and the initial bump they got when joining has worn off.

You think that Texas politics might bring them back? Interesting thing on this note is that the SEC doesn't have a Grant of Rights, so members are free to leave. aTm and Mizzou could bolt without penalty. Could get crazy again.

P.S. The public is thinking of G5 additions, but we discount the arrogance and financial pull that UT and OU have. It wouldn't surprise me if they had their sights on aTm, Arkansas, Missouri and Nebraska and want to make a play for them.

P.S. The public is thinking of G5 additions, but we discount the arrogance and financial pull that UT and OU have. It wouldn't surprise me if they had their sights on aTm, Arkansas, Missouri and Nebraska and want to make a play for them.
Interesting.

You think that Texas politics might bring them back? Interesting thing on this note is that the SEC doesn't have a Grant of Rights, so members are free to leave. aTm and Mizzou could bolt without penalty. Could get crazy again.

Of those, I think Arkansas might make sense. They don't really fit in the SEC and have some deep ties to the old SWC days. I would be shocked if A&M or NU came back. They both have serious issues with UT.

Delusional B12 fans keep swearing they could pull in the Arizona schools from the P12.

Dammit. Now you have me thinking about completely unrealistic scenarios.

It would shake things up, though. And in a good way, too. I have to admit I'd love to see it happen.

Block the 970 area code. Done.
I was chatting with a couple friends over the weekend, both are huge CSU fans. One worked in the athletic department, the other in administration. They both said that the new stadium was essentially CSU pushing all of their chips in for an invite to either the PAC12 or Big12. Both agreed they had no shot at the PAC, but thought they might have a 10% chance at the Big12. I laughed at them, and the look on their face confirmed what we all knew...no invite is coming.

I told them not to look so sullen, and that they could strike up a solid rivalry with Greeley.

I would think BYU and Cincy would pretty much be locks if they were to expand with G5 schools. Then they will weigh the possibility of adding 2 more and that is where is gets tricky and could dilute the money coming in.

In terms of P5 expansion I have no idea. If they could bring back A&M, Arkansas or Missouri I think they would but that seems like a dream. Nebraska would have to pay a huge exit fee I would assume so that's not happening. UA and ASU would be absolutely crazy to exit their connections to So Cal but who knows, ASU is full of retards.

Back