What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

We are if they come along with Oklahoma. The key is that we get 1 of the 2 hyperelites in the region. UT can probably command the entire Texas media market on its own, but OU would do a ton for Dallas and could reach the rest of the state with some other partners. I might make sure it happens. OU plus UH, TCU and TTU. No way that PACN wouldn't be on every basic cable tier in the region. And if you have those kinds of inroads into both CA and TX, the national outlets like DirecTV have to play ball.
The emergence of SEC football in the state is destroying the iron grasp the Longhorns had on Texas. That with their recent struggles have really reduced how dominant they are in Texas. Oklahoma, UH, TCU, and Tortilla Tech would bring probably just as many eyeballs.

The emergence of SEC football in the state is destroying the iron grasp the Longhorns had on Texas. That with their recent struggles have really reduced how dominant they are in Texas. Oklahoma, UH, TCU, and Tortilla Tech would bring probably just as many eyeballs.

For ****s and giggles, let's play that out for expansion.

Pac-16 adds OU, UH, TCU, TTU
B1G adds KU, UConn
ACC adds Notre Dame, Texas (unequal revenue sharing attracts them)
SEC adds OSU, KSU

West Virginia, Iowa State and **** bailer! get left out.

We are if they come along with Oklahoma. The key is that we get 1 of the 2 hyperelites in the region. UT can probably command the entire Texas media market on its own, but OU would do a ton for Dallas and could reach the rest of the state with some other partners. I might make sure it happens. OU plus UH, TCU and TTU. No way that PACN wouldn't be on every basic cable tier in the region. And if you have those kinds of inroads into both CA and TX, the national outlets like DirecTV have to play ball.
Which gets us back to the fact that OU isn't interested.

In the event the Big 12 implodes, OU would have its choice of SEC, ACC and PAC 12. The PAC 12 is a distant third in that race.

Which gets us back to the fact that OU isn't interested.

In the event the Big 12 implodes, OU would have its choice of SEC, ACC and PAC 12. The PAC 12 is a distant third in that race.

First of all, you have it wrong. B1G would be their first choice. After that, the money and the fans say SEC 2nd but the OU president and academic side would much prefer the Pac (and the coaches could be swayed since they recruit CA very heavily). ACC is so distant that it's not really in the conversation, imo.

First of all, you have it wrong. B1G would be their first choice. After that, the money and the fans say SEC 2nd but the OU president and academic side would much prefer the Pac (and the coaches could be swayed since they recruit CA very heavily). ACC is so distant that it's not really in the conversation, imo.
So the PAC 12 is in third place regardless of the order in which the conferences line up in front of us.

Oh, and then there's the issue of OSU.

OU to the PAC 12 ain't happening. UT to the PAC 12 ain't happening. We can dredge up all the ridiculous scenarios we like to make the square peg fit in the round hole. Doing so does not actually mean it's any more likely to happen.

Big-12 presidents probably just said this to get media attention and have something else on the table when saying Baylor would not be punished by the conference.

So the PAC 12 is in third place regardless of the order in which the conferences line up in front of us.

Oh, and then there's the issue of OSU.

OU to the PAC 12 ain't happening. UT to the PAC 12 ain't happening. We can dredge up all the ridiculous scenarios we like to make the square peg fit in the round hole. Doing so does not actually mean it's any more likely to happen.

Negative-Nancy.jpg

There's a chance that they look East instead of West. That's where the money is.

If they go to 14, I think they'll take Houston. That would make it so that 7 teams in TX/OK stayed together and played each other every year. That's a very big deal for scheduling. Figure 3 non-conference games. All of the Texas schools will play at least 2 of those in Texas. Then, 9 conference games. For the 6 within division, all 6 would be played within TX or OK (can take the RV to the game). That leaves 3 more conference games. Either 1 or 2 in TX depending on the year. So between 8 & 10 out of 11 games played in TX each year with the 12th in OK.

So my bet is Cincinnati as a travel partner for West Virginia, UCF and USF for the media and recruiting, and Houston for the politics and scheduling.

Edit: If they decide to go to 12, then UH won't make it. I'd guess Cincinnati and either UCF or Memphis.

Let's not forget that Mike Bohn was hired at Cincy specifically to help negotiate entry into a P5 conference- presumably the Big 12. You can rest assured he is in the ear of several ADs. He played football at Kansas. I'd put Cincy near the top of the list for the Big 12.

There's a chance that they look East instead of West. That's where the money is.

If they go to 14, I think they'll take Houston. That would make it so that 7 teams in TX/OK stayed together and played each other every year. That's a very big deal for scheduling. Figure 3 non-conference games. All of the Texas schools will play at least 2 of those in Texas. Then, 9 conference games. For the 6 within division, all 6 would be played within TX or OK (can take the RV to the game). That leaves 3 more conference games. Either 1 or 2 in TX depending on the year. So between 8 & 10 out of 11 games played in TX each year with the 12th in OK.

So my bet is Cincinnati as a travel partner for West Virginia, UCF and USF for the media and recruiting, and Houston for the politics and scheduling.

Edit: If they decide to go to 12, then UH won't make it. I'd guess Cincinnati and either UCF or Memphis.

Cinci and UCF would make a lot of sense as up and coming schools.

Houston would make sense for media market and ease of travel. Memphis gets them a foothold in SEC territory, but IMO offers very little otherwise.

But is it a good thing?
If the Pac 12 doesn't want to eventually get left behind, yes, expansion is a good thing. Whether or not UT or OU being added to the conference is a good thing is debatable and would depend on what kind of concessions and revenue sharing they would be willing to submit to.

Big 12 Expansion to 14, would kind of eliminate the talk of a 4, 16 team conferences, no? At least for quite some time.

No. Only because Notre Dame sits out there. If they decided to join the ACC or B1G it would immediately push one of those conferences to 16.

Unless, of course, Notre Dame decided that with its traditional biggest rivals being USC and Stanford that joining the Pac-12 gave them the most scheduling flexibility for the non-conference.

No. Only because Notre Dame sits out there. If they decided to join the ACC or B1G it would immediately push one of those conferences to 16.

Unless, of course, Notre Dame decided that with its traditional biggest rivals being USC and Stanford that joining the Pac-12 gave them the most scheduling flexibility for the non-conference.

Those road trips though... :puke:

UT is a cancer, they always have been. The siren song of money and exposure may get them into the P12, but the P12 will live to regret it, every other conference has.

UT is a cancer, they always have been. The siren song of money and exposure may get them into the P12, but the P12 will live to regret it, every other conference has.

Luckily for us the Horns would have to give up their unequal revenue sharing and I just don't see that happening.

You think OU and/or UT in the PAC 12 is a positive thing?

Not commenting about whether or not OU and Texas is positive for the Pac. I personally don't want anything to do with Tex-ass.

I was more commenting on your glib attitude.

But I apologize, I forgot that discussing unlikely scenarios on a college football board during the offseason is wholly inappropriate. Please forgive us.

Right but one conference going to 16 teams doesn't automatically call for the rest following suit. My point was the 4, 16 team conferences pretty much hinges on the Big 12 dissolving and their members moving to P12, SEC, BIG, and ACC. If the Big 12 expands to 12 or 14, it gets them back to being a stronger conference that wouldn't need to break up.

Not commenting about whether or not OU and Texas is positive for the Pac. I personally don't want anything to do with Tex-ass.

I was more commenting on your glib attitude.

But I apologize, I forgot that discussing unlikely scenarios on a college football board during the offseason is wholly inappropriate. Please forgive us.
It's not inappropriate, just tiresome.

Back