What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

I think it stays at 4 until the Big 12 dies, then goes to 8. 4 Conf Champs + 4 At large. Pod System with 16 teams is going to change the way the post season of CFB looks and I am kind of excited about it.
If the Big-12 dies, it will already be an 8 team playoff using the conference championship games (the best possible outcome IMO).

If the Big-12 dies, it will already be an 8 team playoff using the conference championship games (the best possible outcome IMO).

The pod system leading to a Conference Playoff + National Playoff is going to be a lot of fun to watch and may result in the FB equivalent of March Madness.

Right. The Pac-12 can just stay at 12 while every other conference expands to 16.

No effect on money, exposure, facilities, coaches pay, CFB playoff bids, MBB/WBB tourney bids, VB tourney bids, etc. Nope, just stay at twelve and everything is somehow going to be great.

Huh?

Knowing what we know about Texas, what's your solution then?

edit: nevermind, should have read through the thread.

Last edited:
Texas is the best athletic department and best school in the Big-12. That would not be the case in the Pac-12 so they wouldn't have as much power as they do now IMO. That is probably what people are hoping for if they joined, Stanford, USC, Washington, UCLA and even OU if they came along would be able to easily out influence Texas in those conference rooms.

Really need those Texas tv sets to make this work.

Yup. Consider this: Texas has a population that is exactly twice the size of the 6 Mountain Time Zone states (I'm county AZ in Pacific because they're on the Zone the majority of the year.) And those Texas TV sets care about college football a heck of a lot more than most of the Mountain Time zone TVs.

Without UT this is all pointless.

Yes, football does drive BUT they are a blue-blood MBB program and is a lock for the tourney every year. Lots of eyes watch them. Kansas games vs AZ would be must watch every year.

That's if the games were actually covered on real TV, and not regional cable access programs...

That's if the games were actually covered on real TV, and not regional cable access programs...
KU vs UA would be on a major network. In fact, every KU game would be. I think the PAC network realizes things aren't great and hopefully will change.

Yup. Consider this: Texas has a population that is exactly twice the size of the 6 Mountain Time Zone states (I'm county AZ in Pacific because they're on the Zone the majority of the year.) And those Texas TV sets care about college football a heck of a lot more than most of the Mountain Time zone TVs.

Yup, very depressing, from a football/AD standpoint anyway. Academically they'd be a welcome addition for sure.

CU and UT actually have a really good relationship, too, regardless of how some fans might feel.

I think we need more exposure across the country. The only way I see to do that is to add central time zone teams.

No expansion necessary to get more national exposure. The Pac-12 Network needs to get quite relying on regional distribution and go to national distribution, DirecTv.

No expansion necessary to get more national exposure. The Pac-12 Network needs to get quite relying on regional distribution and go to national distribution, DirecTv.
So you think TV distribution is the only barrier for the P12N? I would argue that the time slots our conference's games consistently get are just as important in this discussion.

Not only, but a big first step into the modern era.
Agreed, it's a big part of moving in the right direction, but I don't think it addresses other major issues holding the Pac 12 back at the moment. Even if people on the east coast had access to the P12N through DirecTV, who is going to watch a game that begins at 9 or 10 pm ET? That has to change, just as much as the distribution, IMO.

Agreed, it's a big part of moving in the right direction, but I don't think it addresses other major issues holding the Pac 12 back at the moment. Even if people on the east coast had access to the P12N through DirecTV, who is going to watch a game that begins at 9 or 10 pm ET? That has to change, just as much as the distribution, IMO.

First they have to get the game on there television, then they can decide to stay up late or not. Without the ability to watch the game the rest is moot.

First they have to get the game on there television, then they can decide to stay up late or not. Without the ability to watch the game the rest is moot.
For most of the east coast the PAC12 network is available on your basic cable sports options. Think I pay an extra 5-6 bucks extra a month is all. Yes it sucks to watch games that start at 10pm here.

You're acting like DTV is the only provider on the east coast. Plenty of people out there have access to the games, whether it be at home or at a bar. Very few actually care to stay up until midnight or one o'clock to watch them. Both arguments have merit, but the time slots are ultimately the bigger issue, IMO.

Green chili sauce is awesome and many people consume it in the SouthWest. Maple syrup is awesome and many people consume it in Canada. Let's mix maple syrup together with Green chili sauce to create a super sauce market with double the consumers?

That is the add Texas and Oklahoma argument in a nut shell to me. ...and besides, as the SW and BIG12 show, UT is an ingredient that always congeals and starts to rot everything.

When adding Utah and CU, the PAC-12 showed that it was looking to add schools with a similar, or complimentary, flavor to the conference. It was also looking at the future more than the present. Utah was a non P5 school and CU was really down. Neither was a giant market. Now both schools are thriving. Larry Scott seems to be an out-of-the-box guy that looks to the future. Kind of fits the Silicon Valley, think different culture that is the PAC. He is even looking at growing the brand through the Pacific for ****s sake!

To me the most sensible expansion is to build a future San Diego market by adding SDSU and starting a new (you heard me mofos) div I football program at UC San Diego (that school with 34k enrollment and ~2million well off alums).

Last edited:
Green chili sauce is awesome and many people consume it in the SouthWest. Maple syrup is awesome and many people consume it in Canada. Let's mix maple syrup together with Green chili sauce to create a super sauce market with double the consumers?

That is the add Texas and Oklahoma argument in a nut shell to me. ...and besides, as the SW and BIG12 show, UT is an ingredient that always congeals and starts to rot everything.

When adding Utah and CU, the PAC-12 showed that it was looking to add schools with a similar, or complimentary, flavor to the conference. It was also looking at the future more than the present. Utah was a non P5 school and CU was really down. Neither was a giant market. Now both schools are thriving. Larry Scott seems to be an out-of-the-box guy that looks to the future. Kind of fits the Silicon Valley, think different culture that is the PAC. He is even looking at growing the brand through the Pacific for ****s sake!

To me the most sensible expansion is to build a future San Diego market by adding SDSU and starting a new (you heard me mofos) div I football program at UC San Diego (that school with 34k enrollment and >>2million well off alums).
Every try mixing green chili and clear brown gravy and putting it on your mash potatoes at Thanksgiving? Thank me later.

To me the most sensible expansion is to build a future San Diego market by adding SDSU and starting a new (you heard me mofos) div I football program at UC San Diego (that school with 34k enrollment and >>2million well off alums).

UCSD decided to go D1 in everything but football. If they decide to go for it in football, they would pretty much be a lock for a Pac-16.

San Diego is one of the worst sports cities in the country. Big market that doesn't give a **** about supporting their teams. No thanks on any team in SD. Again, that market doesn't do anything for the conference in almost any way, shape or form. Need expansion to come from the East.

UCSD decided to go D1 in everything but football. If they decide to go for it in football, they would pretty much be a lock for a Pac-16.

Wouldn't it be too late? They should've got to it like 10 years ago if they wanted in. They would be a nice fit academically, though. Probably a preferred alternative to SDSU.

SD is interesting because San Diego County alone is 3.2 million people. The entire state of Idaho is 1.6 million people. That said, California in general gives many less ****s about supporting sports teams than elsewhere, so idk if the larger population really matters.

Also worth mentioning, with the Chargers moving to LA, if there was a P12/16 team in SD, they'd be the main sports attraction in that area.

Back