What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

I hope this guy is right DBT, after all an asshole like myself can then prove I would pay for the right to see Larry's little network. What will not be mentioned is all of the "I am pleased", "glad I made the switch" boasters that will switch back as soon as they are able
Naw - I finally dumped DTV right at the start of football season. Happy with my Pac 12 network, no issues with Xfinity, and happy to have reception on snowy days, too!

DTV no more. Hello p12n. Hello U-verse. Pretty slick to be able to watch on my mobile devices in addition to the TV.

I did not realize the Pac 12 network was that much more expensive than the other conference channels. No wonder there was a visceral negative reaction from some of the execs like DTV. This secondary link left me a bit stunned, too.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...st-lucrative-sports-network-in-country-072214

Projected revenue by channel:
SEC: $611m
P12: $249m
B10: $237m

That is a wild difference, but I do not know the SEC/ESPN revenue split vs the P12 production costs running it in house. I do know I would rather have ESPN slobbering all over my teams and pumping my network games up, than not, along with being in 75m households vs 26m.

We shall see how this plays out long term, but the SEC is certainly playing with the better near term hand.

I did not realize the Pac 12 network was that much more expensive than the other conference channels.

Pac 12 network is not more expensive than the SEC and BTN... P12N just doesn't have as many deals in place to be carried out of market, where rates are a fraction of what they are in market. It makes no sense for a report to average in market and out of market subs into one number like they are the same thing.

I also don't believe that the BTN has less REVENUE than the P12N. That's crazy. BTN might distribute less to their schools due to the 50/50 partnership with Fox....

Last edited:
I also don't believe that the BTN has less REVENUE than the P12N. That's crazy. BTN might distribute less to their schools due to the 50/50 partnership with Fox....

Not sure I buy it either, but if it's true, Larry Scott is a ****ing genius, because that revenue ain't shared with anyone.

Not sure I buy it either, but if it's true, Larry Scott is a ****ing genius, because that revenue ain't shared with anyone.

he's not a genius in my book until the Pac12 Network is on DirecTV and can be seen in bars nationwide-

This whole thing, subscription TV services, is a house of cards in the long run. The foundation of this house of cards is sports subscribers. In my mind millennials potentially keep this thing going or destroy it. What emerges after that is the big unknown.

I would pay $10-$20/month for the P12 network streaming package, maybe more. Is that enough to offset the lost revenue from being carried on all of Comcast & dish? Will have to see how things evolve.

Last edited:
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/PlayStation-Vue-Beta-Invites-Sent-Out-68930.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...neers-the-future-of-television-282517811.html

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...-tv-to-apples-ipad-without-cable-subscription

Fox sports channels on the PlayStation.

Sling TV is a response to Sony's package imo.

It's just a matter of time till Larry and crew think this thru. I don't see DTV retaining clout in the big picture. Diminishes as time moves along.

I seriously doubt Directv will lose one wink of sleep over the P12 Network as long as they have exclusive rights to the elephant in the room known as the NFL.

Last edited:
Pac 12 network is not more expensive than the SEC and BTN... P12N just doesn't have as many deals in place to be carried out of market, where rates are a fraction of what they are in market. It makes no sense for a report to average in market and out of market subs into one number like they are the same thing.

What would you figure the P12's actual revenue and per subscriber costs to be if you dispute this data? I do not have enough information to provide an informed opinion.

I agree our take home revenue should be quite a bit higher than what the B1G takes home since we run our own network, but our costs are well above zero, too. IIRC, the P12 provided no disbursement to teams in year 1 to cover start up costs. I have not heard since then what any estimates may be for per team revenue.

Regardless, this data does very much support the idea that the SEC is winning for now due to the leverage available with ESPN.

he's not a genius in my book until the Pac12 Network is on DirecTV and can be seen in bars nationwide-
Can't be said enough.

Even if we give up a lot revenue? And therefore a big chunk of remittances back to the schools?

The SEC is now part of Sling and we're not. As others have advocated before, all PAC should be available directly online.

Probably because its packaged as part of the ESPN cluster of channels. Probably all the ads and infrastructure are all hardwired into the ESPN systems and departments.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/PlayStation-Vue-Beta-Invites-Sent-Out-68930.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...neers-the-future-of-television-282517811.html

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...-tv-to-apples-ipad-without-cable-subscription

Fox sports channels on the PlayStation.

Sling TV is a response to Sony's package imo.

It's just a matter of time till Larry and crew think this thru. I don't see DTV retaining clout in the big picture. Diminishes as time moves along.

Larry and Crew as a fledging startup probably assumed the DTV deal would get done and gave up streaming rights or gave a grace period for streaming rights (10 years) so that those providers willing to give them bandwith wouldn't immediately face competition.

My kids watch more netflix then they do DTV. In fact, Im the only one that watches DTV anymore. DTV is a dinosaur.

I seriously doubt Directv will lose one wink of sleep over the P12 Network as long as they have exclusive rights to the elephant in the room known as the NFL.

What they ARE probably losing sleep over is that there is nearly zero growth now because there are no new customers. What they are also losing sleep over is rising provider charges that have run up against the maximum they can charge the consumer. That they are limited to due to geosynchronous orbits the the number of countries they can sell service in. With that in mind why do you think they give away nearly the kitchen sink just to keep you from canceling for Dish or Comcast?

Faced with the fact that their satellites are aging, already partly functionally obsolete, and slowly failing and will need replacement is an expensive problem. Rising labor costs, and on and on, I see a lot of head winds. Whereas Netflix I see mostly tail winds due to the substantially lower capex because their delivery system is already paid for.

Saying the DirecTV, Dish and cable business models are doomed is like saying United and Southwest should be scared because high speed rail is the way we will travel coast to coast in the future. Yeah it might happen, but I'm not holding my breath. Abandoning negotiations with the current leader in sports programming because we might see a shift in the market is short-sided (and, yes I know LS has never said he has truly stepped away from the table). And relying on the next great thing in technology is tenuous at best - how's everyone's laser disc collection doing? Just because hipsters stream old episodes of Friends on Netflix does not mean that the majority of current subscribers (many my age and my parents age) will go through the hassle of buying new equipment so they can re-learn how to watch tv. Furthermore, what are the practical implications of the US switching to internet streaming? The US ranks 31st in download speed according to the recent Ookla Speedtest study (hope that pacifies that dude that insists we use citations).

Internet/streaming TV may be the way of the future, but it ain't that day yet. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being obtuse. Time for LS to put on his big boy pants and make the Pac-12 network more than just a regional sports channel.

Saying the DirecTV, Dish and cable business models are doomed is like saying United and Southwest should be scared because high speed rail is the way we will travel coast to coast in the future. Yeah it might happen, but I'm not holding my breath. Abandoning negotiations with the current leader in sports programming because we might see a shift in the market is short-sided (and, yes I know LS has never said he has truly stepped away from the table). And relying on the next great thing in technology is tenuous at best - how's everyone's laser disc collection doing? Just because hipsters stream old episodes of Friends on Netflix does not mean that the majority of current subscribers (many my age and my parents age) will go through the hassle of buying new equipment so they can re-learn how to watch tv. Furthermore, what are the practical implications of the US switching to internet streaming? The US ranks 31st in download speed according to the recent Ookla Speedtest study (hope that pacifies that dude that insists we use citations).

Internet/streaming TV may be the way of the future, but it ain't that day yet. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being obtuse. Time for LS to put on his big boy pants and make the Pac-12 network more than just a regional sports channel.

Its more likely the reason the P12 network failed to win negotiations with Dtv is probably largely due to the decision to go it alone rather than partner with ESPN or Fox or NBC, CBS, et al. which would have brought a lot more clout to the negotiations.

Faced with the fact that their satellites are aging, already partly functionally obsolete, and slowly failing and will need replacement is an expensive problem. Rising labor costs, and on and on, I see a lot of head winds. Whereas Netflix I see mostly tail winds due to the substantially lower capex because their delivery system is already paid for.

When did netflix open their own data center?

When did netflix open their own data center?

Oh, thats right. The cloud is not a data center. Its a big puffy white thing in the sky full of CDs and wires. I sure hope 4Dem knows not to fly thru one. :smile2:

The cloud is fancy buzz word for OPDC; Other People's Data Center (Amazon in the case of Netflix).

Somewhere there is a server with Netflix's contents stored for the subscribers to access. My larger point was that Netflix's barriers to entry ($$$) are lower because they dont have to launch satellites, build uplink downlink centers, make set top boxes, perform at home installations (for free), or string miles and miles of coax to get access to peoples living rooms. All they need is reliable storage (data centers) and the ability to handle millions of streams. If the internet did not exist they would still be mailing us DVDs.

Last edited:
Oh, thats right. The cloud is not a data center. Its a big puffy white thing in the sky full of CDs and wires. I sure hope 4Dem knows not to fly thru one. :smile2:

The cloud is fancy buzz word for OPDC; Other People's Data Center (Amazon in the case of Netflix).

Somewhere there is a server with Netflix's contents stored for the subscribers to access. My larger point was that Netflix's barriers to entry ($$$) are lower because they dont have to launch satellites, build uplink downlink centers, make set top boxes, perform at home installations (for free), or string miles and miles of coax to get access to peoples living rooms. All they need is reliable storage (data centers) and the ability to handle millions of streams. If the internet did not exist they would still be mailing us DVDs.

I was asking if you knew if something changed.

All the hand wringing and catering to OTT (streamed) services may or may not pan out. That customer base is already fickle (the cord cutters / cord nevers), they will be on to the next cheap thing as soon as it comes out. Only time will tell, everyone currently feels they need to be in that space so as to not be left behind. Could it be just another 3D or 4K TV fad though? Also, when will the bit providers want an even bigger chunk of the pie for providing the pipe?

well, i set up a sling tv account, and will be closing out dish as soon as i get my antenna up. I am hopeful that the pac 12 will get on sling, or apple tv. or some other stream before next seaon.

All the hand wringing and catering to OTT (streamed) services may or may not pan out. That customer base is already fickle (the cord cutters / cord nevers), they will be on to the next cheap thing as soon as it comes out. Only time will tell, everyone currently feels they need to be in that space so as to not be left behind. Could it be just another 3D or 4K TV fad though? Also, when will the bit providers want an even bigger chunk of the pie for providing the pipe?

89, meet a former player....

well, i set up a sling tv account, and will be closing out dish as soon as i get my antenna up. I am hopeful that the pac 12 will get on sling, or apple tv. or some other stream before next seaon.

So, you'll save $80 a month doing this?

89, meet a former player....

So, you'll save $80 a month doing this?

something like that. i watch less and less broadcast tv. it is usually wasted time. I enjoy netflix and not just watching what ever is on. the savings is good. My daughters are a year and three years to college, so i guess I need to save where I can (no picts you pervs). I may even cancel sling until foootball season, because i don't really care to watch baseball or their other summer offerings on ESPN. it may be a passing fad, but I'm jumping in.

something like that. i watch less and less broadcast tv. it is usually wasted time. I enjoy netflix and not just watching what ever is on. the savings is good. My daughters are a year and three years to college, so i guess I need to save where I can (no picts you pervs). I may even cancel sling until foootball season, because i don't really care to watch baseball or their other summer offerings on ESPN. it may be a passing fad, but I'm jumping in.
No contract makes it easy to subscribe when you want and drop it if you don't need it.

I would be dangerously close to making this move myself if/when the Pac12 network creates such an option.

For me to get rid of cable I'd need fox sports, ESPN and p12N.

As long as every bar and restaurant that has any NFL promotions, or people keep moving from their home market to someplace new the monster that is the NFL will kick everyone's ***** to the curb in most of the US market. Where it doesn't (SEC Country) is where the NFL has the fewest franchises and CFB will rule the roost there. The bottom line is and no one here wants to admit it. For the most part NO ONE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE PAC 12, BUT THE PAC 12. Half the country is asleep or out to dinner or for the evening in the middle of the PAC's viewing schedule. If anyone did and I was wrong the PAC Network would be more available, supply and demand, and there is no demand.

Back