What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

I like the way DTv treats me as a customer, face it the Pac12 network just isn't as valuable as we would like it to be and the University of Colorado is not helping.

I think that is one of the most valid reasons to choose a company. DTV has excellent customer service. The only issue I have is that they make you sign a contract so you can't leave without penalty and you don't get Pac-12 network which I really like having.

Comcast has horrible rep and I beleive is the most hated company. They've never treated me poorly though. A few years ago I called for a tech issue and the guy transfered me to the account rep after we were done because he said something didn't look correct. The customer service rep said I had been paying too much, lowered my bill and credited my account for the overpayment. I can't really say that they've treated me all that bad.

I think that is one of the most valid reasons to choose a company. DTV has excellent customer service. The only issue I have is that they make you sign a contract so you can't leave without penalty and you don't get Pac-12 network which I really like having.

Comcast has horrible rep and I beleive is the most hated company. They've never treated me poorly though. A few years ago I called for a tech issue and the guy transfered me to the account rep after we were done because he said something didn't look correct. The customer service rep said I had been paying too much, lowered my bill and credited my account for the overpayment. I can't really say that they've treated me all that bad.

How about how a company treats it's employees? Is that important? It is to me and the main reason I refuse to switch to Dish.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/tech/20...or-in-america-for-second-straight-year/10869/

So, the DirecTV salesman at Costco is a liar?

I'm sure the guy in the DTV polo shirt and khakis at Costco is a close confidant of the company president.
Methinks his paycheck doesn't even show DTV as the payor.

There is another card. They save the best games only for their network. At this point I'd consider it in order to force the hands of some fans. Combine that with a streaming offer to counter the DTV weight.

One of the biggest mistakes I believe the network has made. They don't need to put every marquee game on the network, but one a week would really give negotiations traction.

This week Stanford v. U$C is on ABC, Cal v. Texas is on Fox (probably can't help this one), #19 BYU v. #10 UCLA on FS1.

Next week will be even more glaring when inter-conference games start.

One marquee game per week is probably a good idea. It's not going to give you USC/UCLA, but it might give you Stanford/Cal.

Throughout these negotiations, I've never really gotten why the Pac gives the primo games to the networks, thus reducing incentive on DirecTV to negotiate.

Ohio State v . Michigan will never be on BTN, same with Alabama v. Auburn (SECN). I'm not seeing the issue here.

There is another card. They save the best games only for their network. At this point I'd consider it in order to force the hands of some fans. Combine that with a streaming offer to counter the DTV weight.
One of the biggest mistakes I believe the network has made. They don't need to put every marquee game on the network, but one a week would really give negotiations traction.

This week Stanford v. U$C is on ABC, Cal v. Texas is on Fox (probably can't help this one), #19 BYU v. #10 UCLA on FS1.

Next week will be even more glaring when inter-conference games start.

Throughout these negotiations, I've never really gotten why the Pac gives the primo games to the networks, thus reducing incentive on DirecTV to negotiate.

The Pac 12 can't just keep the best games - they have sold ESPN and Fox the best rights during most weeks for a ton of money.

The BTN gets the BT scraps too. They might have enough leverage to change that in the next round.

The SEC sold their best games to CBS/ESPN, so they had to partner with ESPN to form the SECN. That way ESPN keeps half the profits, but moves content they bought from the SEC from ESPN back over to SECN.

It may be time to look at partnering with either Fox or ESPN to get distribution, but that might be giving up a lot of $$$ to get the network on DTV just like the offer ATT just made.

The question that might need to be asked is whether it's worth each school giving up a couple of million each to get national availability? I'd say not yet. It's also possible that the P12N wastes a lot of money on costs... and a network partner would help out streamlining. That would probably mean a lot fewer non-rev sports and moving the studios out of SF and having less costly on air 'talent'.

The Pac 12 can't just keep the best games - they have sold ESPN and Fox the best rights during most weeks for a ton of money.

I understand all that. My point was that the Pac 12 Network might be a little more attractive if it weren't for the fact that the only games that get televised are the scrubs of the league.

The BTN gets the BT scraps too. They might have enough leverage to change that in the next round.

The SEC sold their best games to CBS/ESPN, so they had to partner with ESPN to form the SECN. That way ESPN keeps half the profits, but moves content they bought from the SEC from ESPN back over to SECN.

It may be time to look at partnering with either Fox or ESPN to get distribution, but that might be giving up a lot of $$$ to get the network on DTV just like the offer ATT just made.

The question that might need to be asked is whether it's worth each school giving up a couple of million each to get national availability? I'd say not yet. It's also possible that the P12N wastes a lot of money on costs... and a network partner would help out streamlining. That would probably mean a lot fewer non-rev sports and moving the studios out of SF and having less costly on air 'talent'.

Thats fine and true as long as those current contracts are in force. Disney (ESPNs parent) has gotten walloped by analysts who are now writing analysis that factor cord cutting problems into the stocks future price. Which is down. Basically, ESPN has billions in obligations against a declining revenue stream. If that trend continues they will not be able to buy first pick of the games on a weekly basis like they used to when renewal comes up. Which puts the P12N in the position of having to either sell its best games for less to someone else. Or bury it behind a streaming pay wall and make us all pay to see it.

I thought (and I could be mis-remembering), that the P12 network actually kept rights to some better games for themselves. I thought it was something like ABC/ESPN and Fox have some sort of rotation for the first choice each week, but then ABC/ESPN, Fox and P12N have some sort of rotation for the 2nd choice. I really thought it was supposed to work out that while P12N would never have the marquee P12 game of the week, 3 or 4 times a year P12N would have the 2nd biggest game.

Does anyone else remember that, or am I going to have to go back through Wilner's old blog posts to find his discussion?

I liked the part about how he's planning for flexibility three years down the road when the industry has changed more.

I liked the part about how he's planning for flexibility three years down the road when the industry has changed more.
I assume he has good reason for that opinion. I have no doubt big changes in the way we partake in video entertainment are on the horizon. I just wish I knew what the changes will be.

I assume he has good reason for that opinion. I have no doubt big changes in the way we partake in video entertainment are on the horizon. I just wish I knew what the changes will be.

hint: get a faster internet connection.

May have been posted before, but you can now get Centurylink with Pac12 Mtn, in Denver, and many other areas, but not Greeley. way cheaper than Comcast. They are expanding their area

So can someone help me out here? I'm on a flight that leaves San Francisco about 1 hour before game time for Hawaii. The flight has DirecTV (United Airlines). They claim 100 channels. AZ game is broadcast on FS1 (Fox Sports 1), which United states they get.

What feed do they get over the ocean? Does it change partway from SFO to Hawaii regional? I don't see that our game is broadcast into Hawaii.

So can someone help me out here? I'm on a flight that leaves San Francisco about 1 hour before game time for Hawaii. The flight has DirecTV (United Airlines). They claim 100 channels. AZ game is broadcast on FS1 (Fox Sports 1), which United states they get.

What feed do they get over the ocean? Does it change partway from SFO to Hawaii regional? I don't see that our game is broadcast into Hawaii.

FS1 is a national network so it shouldn't matter where you go.

Tell her to be quiet and read a book.
Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

the directv disappears once you get something like 100 miles out, maybe even less.

the directv disappears once you get something like 100 miles out, maybe even less.
I was afraid of that.
So now my options are to get the WiFi (which supposedly is now operational over the Pacific on United thru Ku Band GoGo service) and try to watch it with my DishAnywhere account which will be impossible, since the bandwidth can't possibly be that good. FURK.

Or just wake up early in Hawaii and stream it on real broadband service there.....

Back