What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

Yeah. Great read. Frustrating that a deal couldn't get done, but it sounds like what was on the table was simply something the Pac-12 could not accept.

I don't think the University Presidents are all that concerned with getting immediate carriage on DTV if it means sacrificing something. They are heads of non-profits, they have long term goals and objectives that reach 5 to 10 years down the road, they aren't focused on the next quarterly earnings. I think they are more concerned about expanding conference exposure internationally, and DTV has absolutely no impact on international markets.

Bummed a deal couldn't get done, but glad the league held their ground.

I wonder if an online sub model could work for the network? Kind of like HBO Now.

I don't think the University Presidents are all that concerned with getting immediate carriage on DTV if it means sacrificing something. They are heads of non-profits, they have long term goals and objectives that reach 5 to 10 years down the road, they aren't focused on the next quarterly earnings. I think they are more concerned about expanding conference exposure internationally, and DTV has absolutely no impact on international markets.

With the future being cord cutting? Yeah Id say so.

I think ATT wanted a piece of the ownership because they realize that content owners will have a lot more power in the future. I could see a situation where if the locked up the content and it could only be offered on an ATT distribution system of some kind that would benefit them.

Down the road, maybe even 5 years from now, you could see streaming. I think the P12N should join that dish streaming deal or Apple TV.

With the future being cord cutting? Yeah Id say so.

I think ATT wanted a piece of the ownership because they realize that content owners will have a lot more power in the future. I could see a situation where if the locked up the content and it could only be offered on an ATT distribution system of some kind that would benefit them.

Down the road, maybe even 5 years from now, you could see streaming. I think the P12N should join that dish streaming deal or Apple TV.

I think you have a pretty accurate view of the future. I look at my TV bill and question why I pay that much. Truth is that if I could get the Buffs every week streaming along with the games that are free over air I wouldn't hesitate to cancel or at least reduce to a fairly basic package.

It's all about getting the product to the customer. Larry Scott and Directv pissing match is ridiculous. They prove one of my old Dad's favorite sayings, "There are more horse's asses than horses."

Wrecks their business? I'm not convinced.

Really? The deal would compromise deals with the other carriers and they want an equity stake in the network which would also decrease cash flows to the schools. That is called wrecking the business.

Your dad must be bad at math.
That's funny! Sounds like you might have known my old Dad. He was trained as a photo interpreter for the only night aerial photo recon squadron in WWII largely because of his math and spatial interpretation skills. His squadron was first involved on D-Day, taking the recon photos of the Normandy countryside just hours before the invasion. He did the analysis of those photos as well as photos taken for the 3rd Army advance through Europe. The Air Force sent him to meteorology school and graduate school after WWII where he aced all of his math classes. He did forecasts for Strategic Air Command. After retiring he worked on some secret stuff for NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain and retired again. He enjoyed math so much he continued as a volunteer math tutor and paper grader for the Colorado Springs school district up until 2 months before he passed at a great age. Take care. ;-)

That's funny! Sounds like you might have known my old Dad. He was trained as a photo interpreter for the only night aerial photo recon squadron in WWII largely because of his math and spatial interpretation skills. His squadron was first involved on D-Day, taking the recon photos of the Normandy countryside just hours before the invasion. He did the analysis of those photos as well as photos taken for the 3rd Army advance through Europe. The Air Force sent him to meteorology school and graduate school after WWII where he aced all of his math classes. He did forecasts for Strategic Air Command. After retiring he worked on some secret stuff for NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain and retired again. He enjoyed math so much he continued as a volunteer math tutor and paper grader for the Colorado Springs school district up until 2 months before he passed at a great age. Take care. ;-)

What is this, 3rd grade? My dad was a ninja.

Really? The deal would compromise deals with the other carriers and they want an equity stake in the network which would also decrease cash flows to the schools. That is called wrecking the business.
You can't tell me they can't make it work. Improvise, adapt and overcome. Get it done. Until then I'll stand by my assessment of all involved.

You can't tell me they can't make it work. Improvise, adapt and overcome. Get it done. Until then I'll stand by my assessment of all involved.
1) You can't tell me A as a rule, so I believe in B.
2) Until you tell me A, I will believe in B.

You realize your logic has some issues here, right?

Those are notable accomplishments, congrats to the old man. Maybe biology then?

Contrary to what I've written in this thread, I really do not have any issues with DTV. My issues are with proprietary goods. I know why companies love them but I believe they are inherently bad for the consumer. The only reason DTV is allowed to treat it's customers and it's clients this way is because Sunday Ticket. I would really prefer them not to have an additional good that they could use to bully people/sports bar into carrying only their cable subscriptions.

If LS kowtows to AT&T/DTV they would piss off the other companies. Those companies might want similar terms and the product that the Pac owned would be less and less their own. Or they could not renew when the contract is up and then AT&T/DTV would once again have a monopoly. Not good for Pac-12, not good for the fans, not good for the other cable providers.

I believe that is why Comcast's customer service has been so bad. They had the fastest internet. Now that others are catching up to their speeds and surpassing them comcast has been trying to get better at customer service.

You (and other people crying that LS and the P12 couldn't get a deal done) are looking at this as if there is a "win-win" deal out there. There isn't. LS isn't compromising when he's in a strong position that's getting stronger with future cord-cutting.

Look at it this way- how would you feel about your realtor telling you "You can't tell me we can't make this work. Just because they're offering 75% of what your house is worth, you need to improvise, adapt and overcome. Get it done. If you can't, you're a horses ass."

Look at it this way- how would you feel about your realtor telling you "You can't tell me we can't make this work. Just because they're offering 75% of what your house is worth, you need to improvise, adapt and overcome. Get it done. If you can't, you're a horses ass."

Even worse. They would still own a percentage of your new house too.

Really disappointed in the Pac12 leaders. Everyone wines about how the SEC is in everyone's face, well they have a great business model. When you are in everyones face and it is easy to get access to their games, pre-game shows, breakdowns, practice reports, etc... They are doing what the PAC should be doing. Spend a little to make a lot. Exposure means everything - wait till a study comes out about how it effects recruiting. Scott needs to get off his high horse and get his product out to the masses. I am pretty sure Directv has more customers then dish and Comcast combined...

Really disappointed in the Pac12 leaders. Everyone wines about how the SEC is in everyone's face, well they have a great business model. When you are in everyones face and it is easy to get access to their games, pre-game shows, breakdowns, practice reports, etc... They are doing what the PAC should be doing. Spend a little to make a lot. Exposure means everything - wait till a study comes out about how it effects recruiting. Scott needs to get off his high horse and get his product out to the masses. I am pretty sure Directv has more customers then dish and Comcast combined...

Lol no they do not. Cable has way more customers than DirecTV and Dish. I believe dish has about 12-13 million and DTV has around 21 million but neither compare to cable.

Back