1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phil DiStefano's got to go

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I can live with Benson. He's shown that he can raise money on the academics side and now seems to be turning his attention to athletics. He's not an educator, but I'm starting to believe that's about as important to the role of University President as being a coach is to the role of Athletic Director - irrelevant.

But DiStefano? I'm not sure what that drunk brings to the table. Politician who has managed to survive myriad issues by avoiding ever taking a risk or making a strong move. He's a pimple on the ass of progress. We need him gone and need to get a leader into the Chancellor position.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Agreed. he's the safest choice of a past time. His only ambition is to not make any waves. I say it is time to get someone in there who can lead, not just survive off the teat of Benson's fundraising.

3. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

Amen

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I could almost defend DiStephano if he could point to any significant accomplishments in other areas but so far I have seen nothing to indicate that he is an effective leader in any area of the university. The significant advances in the CU system have either occurred outside of Boulder (Med school move, Memorial Hospital purchase, UCCS expansion, etc.) or occurred in spite of him with him being along for the ride (new buiding on Boulder campus, etc.)

If he were just a hinderance to athletics but good for the rest of the school then we may not like it but he could be justified but from what I have seen looking in from afar is a guy who is doing a poor job of warming a seat. A guy who is a static administrator in times that require a dynamic individual. He has no vision outside of his personal status quo.

5. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Buffalo Brad likes this.
  6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I think the metaphor of pimple on the ass of progress is too generous. I have suggested this before, but the guy should be roundly booed whenever he makes an appearance at an athletic event or a PSA comes on the screen at Folsom.

7. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

What is the likelihood that he leaves any time soon? He has been at CU for ~30 straight years

8. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Dude has an easy job - never has any pressure on him - why would he leave?

Generally speaking, anyone who has been somewhere for 30 years straight should be viewed with skepticism.

9. leftybuff

Signed,

Queen Elizabeth.

10. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

11. Jaximus

Jaximus Club Member Club Member

[​IMG] = [​IMG]

Both are nutless polititians and somehow survive through a world of ****.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    dply and J.R. Ewing like this.
  12. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

One guy figuratively has no balls, the other guy literally has no balls.

13. Buffnik

Can anyone name a single thing Phil DiStefano has accomplished besides not getting fired when everyone did?

14. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Keeping his job in the face of multiple legal incidents that would have people, including him no doubt, screaming for their heads?

Beyond that.... Hey Hey Ho Ho Phil DiStefano's got to go!

15. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I am not a fan of Dr. Phil's but I think it is time to build some stability in Boulder. A strong AD will solve a lot of issues. I think Phil now has his marching orders in place.

The idea that he does not have a tough job is not realistic. He is basically running a city and having to keep a lot of faction happy in the face of budget cuts, etc. Bud Peterson seemed to be the right guy but he bailed in no time...seem that job is not all that attractive either.

16. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

This is assuming that stability and a strong AD are mutually achievable objectives. And that Bohn's firing had anything to do with marching orders from above Dr. Phil....

17. leftybuff

I don't know for sure, but he was probably successful in the alcohol classes that followed the DUIs.....(allegedly).

18. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

I think this might be the one thing that this entire board has ever unanimously agreed on.

19. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i don't understand "the plan."

this has been my biggest beef with CU for years. if they want us to donate and support them, they must understand that successful folks typically don't do that "unconditionally." we need to be advised as to how they intend to achieve greatness.

if distef has a master plan, then this would be a very good time to share it with all of us donors, alums, and the entire CU community. bohn was far from perfect but i don't understand the timing of the termination at all.

based upon credible news reports, it seems neither the donors nor president benson own this decision. it was distef's. he owns it. so what's the plan?

i know it is a stretch to ask him, after 3 decades of doing everything he can to avoid talking to us, to articulate a plan, but now that he's stuck his foot into this, he's got to be accountable.

20. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

1. Preside over falling academic rating
    2. Destroy football program
    3. ???
    4. Profit

21. Buffnik

It always works out well when the powers that be at CU decide to take athletic things out of the hands of the athletics people and manage them at the university level.

Case in point, when they decided that the Embree firing press conference was too big for the SID's office so they took over the management of that presser at the university level. Brilliantly done.

22. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I don't buy this at all. A wagon with a broken wheel is stable as long as it is sitting still. As soon as you try to move forward the broken foundation prevents any progress. I doubt very much that we get a strong AD with DeStefadoosh involved in the hiring and management.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  23. Liver

by the way, you guys are all spelling his name wrong-- -it is disteFano, not distePHano.

24. SuperiorBuff

Corrected

25. Liver

so much anger. :rofl:

26. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

This is correct.

If DiStephano had done anything notable to strengthen the academic side of the university his failings in athletics could at least be tolerated. I have yet to see a significant positive thing that has happened that he has been responsible for and/or led.

The job is a tough one, the future of the university literally depends on the actions taken by the person in that job. That is why we need someone who is a forward thinking, dynamic leader who can move things in a positive direction rather than a political, no risk-no reward, paper pusher serving out his final highly paid years.

The job of chancellor of a campus like Boulder should never be occupied by the same person more than five years. If you aren't doing a good enough job to get hired away as a university president someplace in that time you aren't being effective.

27. SuperiorBuff

It makes me happy :nod:

28. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

The Plan
    1) launch search committee
    2) hire AD that committee believes has potential for doubling donations.
    3) ???
    4) Profit.

29. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

What the story is so far is that Benson wanted Bohn gone last winter after they fired Embree but he believes that would have put them at a major disadvantage in the coaching search by not having an AD so they decided to wait. It sounds like PD was the one to take responsibility public ally but it was Benson's doing. Fwiw....

absinthe likes this.
  30. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Filling in the blank...