What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predict the opening day starters

This is so spot on. Doesn't matter who the QB is if they have no confidence in the O Line their mentality is altered.
I wonder sometimes how much of Sefo's leadership qualities were measured by how many times he was sacked or ate the grass after a throw but he never bitched? I never saw a negative reaction from Sefo after a play never. He let Phil do his wet work, Phil would help Sefo up and then talk to a O lineman. I'm not shading Sefo's leadership qualities in the least he took a beating for almost 4 yrs and deserved a 10 win season.
Well ****ing said. True this.

The pencil depth chart made me chuckle a bit, definitely more than one position where "or" was stated just to make the seniors feel ok about themselves.

I just don't see Ento starting for very long, plays weak when fighting for the ball and runs sloppy routes. Unless he is both significantly stronger and has had a serious attitude adjustment, I would expect others to get playing time ahead of him. @Bread said Shenault isn't a starter, but if I am honest, neither is Ento. Winfree won't leave the field very much when CU has the ball this year. Nixon and Jackson (if he can ditch that injury bug) are going to see tons of time. Macintyre is a good glue guy if he is healthy.

Morettie, Sherman, Pursell, Lynott and Haigler will be the starters on the O line. RT is a major concern.
I love hearing that Lytle is pushing Montez, but I suspect the 'or' for the QB spot is more to get Montez to keep pushing himself. Clearly the coaches think he needs to be pushed.

Don't be surprised if Callier and Falo end up the day one starters at OLB (one on each side)...not sold on Wells or Tchangam yet....but I am hopeful.

Despite being a captain Gamboa is going to have to yield some serious playing time to Landman. No way that guy doesn't see as many or more snaps as Gamboa this year. He is too good.

Taylor being considered the day one starter at Buffback either means he is very legit or CU has a problem. Miller, Worthington, Fisher and Abrams will be the other DB starters (Abrams is going to adapt to D1 fast).
There's a lot I disagree with in this post, but there is no "OR" with Montez. The OR is between Noyer and Lytle.

Ento needs an attitude adjustment? Hmmm....

I am still waiting for Nixon to make his first play as a Buff before I see him as a starter. There were no electric moments last year, so we will see.

I suspect Isaiah Lewis is better than he's credited for as he's listed as the #2 and they didn't move a bunch of other guys over to safety. I'm surprised to see him listed as bigger than Nick Fisher who is well put together. Throw in that I've always felt that Ray Robinson would be an early contributor in a major way and I don't think we are as thin as Duff thinks.

I'm saving my concern for OL.

I am still waiting for Nixon to make his first play as a Buff before I see him as a starter. There were no electric moments last year, so we will see.

I suspect Isaiah Lewis is better than he's credited for as he's listed as the #2 and they didn't move a bunch of other guys over to safety. I'm surprised to see him listed as bigger than Nick Fisher who is well put together. Throw in that I've always felt that Ray Robinson would be an early contributor in a major way and I don't think we are as thin as Duff thinks.

I'm saving my concern for OL.

Kyle Trego is our most experienced backup safety (28 total snaps in 2017)... by far.

Kyle Trego is our most experienced backup safety (28 total snaps in 2017)... by far.
If an injury were to happen to Fisher or Worthington, I wonder if they'd look at moving Taylor back there (ala Moeller) and play more traditionally on defense with the extra true OLB or bring in a NB like Blackmon (or bump Miller to NB and bring in Udoffia/Abrams for the other CB spot).

Yes. Thought you were looking at the younger guys and how it affects numbers for this class. Yes we are thin there in 2018 unless some young guys are studs.

If an injury were to happen to Fisher or Worthington, I wonder if they'd look at moving Taylor back there (ala Moeller) and play more traditionally on defense with the extra true OLB or bring in a NB like Blackmon (or bump Miller to NB and bring in Udoffia/Abrams for the other CB spot).

I assume Wigley would move back there if need be, but there would have to be some reshuffling if injury strikes IMO.

Yes. Thought you were looking at the younger guys and how it affects numbers for this class. Yes we are thin there in 2018 unless some young guys are studs.

Just need Worthington and Fisher to stay healthy this season. The numbers will be there in 2019 (not necessarily the experience), but injuries would be killer this season.

The pencil depth chart made me chuckle a bit, definitely more than one position where "or" was stated just to make the seniors feel ok about themselves.

I just don't see Ento starting for very long, plays weak when fighting for the ball and runs sloppy routes. Unless he is both significantly stronger and has had a serious attitude adjustment, I would expect others to get playing time ahead of him. @Bread said Shenault isn't a starter, but if I am honest, neither is Ento. Winfree won't leave the field very much when CU has the ball this year. Nixon and Jackson (if he can ditch that injury bug) are going to see tons of time. Macintyre is a good glue guy if he is healthy.

Morettie, Sherman, Pursell, Lynott and Haigler will be the starters on the O line. RT is a major concern.
I love hearing that Lytle is pushing Montez, but I suspect the 'or' for the QB spot is more to get Montez to keep pushing himself. Clearly the coaches think he needs to be pushed.

Don't be surprised if Callier and Falo end up the day one starters at OLB (one on each side)...not sold on Wells or Tchangam yet....but I am hopeful.

Despite being a captain Gamboa is going to have to yield some serious playing time to Landman. No way that guy doesn't see as many or more snaps as Gamboa this year. He is too good.

Taylor being considered the day one starter at Buffback either means he is very legit or CU has a problem. Miller, Worthington, Fisher and Abrams will be the other DB starters (Abrams is going to adapt to D1 fast).

1. What the hell are you talking about re: Ento? He hasn't played in two years, he's gotten bigger and stronger in that time, and he was redshirted because the staff thinks he has NFL potential, but he needed to get stronger and more seasoned.
2. Nixon didn't do anything last year to show me, or anyone else that he's legit yet. Jackson hasn't played in 3 years. He's got a big learning curve IMO despite his athleticism.
3. If Haigler returns to his freshman year form, he'll be better than last year. That said, he's finally at 300 lbs. and I expect him to be our best or second best lineman this year.
4. Wells is a beast. Will be an all conference player.
5. Taylor is a freak athlete and was a top ten JUCO player for a reason.

You consistently have odd takes.

1. What the hell are you talking about re: Ento? He hasn't played in two years, he's gotten bigger and stronger in that time, and he was redshirted because the staff thinks he has NFL potential, but he needed to get stronger and more seasoned.
2. Nixon didn't do anything last year to show me, or anyone else that he's legit yet. Jackson hasn't played in 3 years. He's got a big learning curve IMO despite his athleticism.
3. If Haigler returns to his freshman year form, he'll be better than last year. That said, he's finally at 300 lbs. and I expect him to be our best or second best lineman this year.
4. Wells is a beast. Will be an all conference player.
5. Taylor is a freak athlete and was a top ten JUCO player for a reason.

You consistently have odd takes.
Watch Ento this year. I'd love to be wrong but everything I've seen in person says he isn't a quality starter. I've also seen plenty of Nixon in person and his athleticism is off the charts, ditto Jackson. You're right, neither has shown anything on the field yet.
I tend to think Wells hasn't shown anything on the field yet either. So you likely know more than me. Taylor is just an unknown, though clearly he is fast. Hope he pans out.

What is up with the roster? WR and RB stand out to me as big mistakes on this depth chart.

Mac needs to stop holding seniority in such a high regard and he needs to start the best talent.
Really? How so? I understand the RB part, but it seems the have Evans at #1, who actually was very productive before his injury, then 4 RB's all tied for 2nd. Are you referring to McMillian not being on top?

Good Lord. Off-season sucks. Just a little bit to go ladies and gentlemen, don't commit Harry Caray just yet.

W/r/t Ento over Shenault, there is an "OR" next to Ento's name, which means that it's Ento OR Shenault as the penciled in starter. Viska is going to play a ton.
Ah, didn’t see that OR thank you for that! I never thought Viska wouldn’t play a ton even if #2 but just thought it was odd. Thanks for pointing that out!

You’re good, just go kill a snake if you’re upset.
I'll have to settle for killing these foxes if they keep coming around trying to dig up Joe's grave. I even laid cement over the top and the little ****ers try to dig around it.:D

I just don't get that Gamboa, as a middle linebacker, has 6 total TFL in 2085 career snaps on D. Seems like you could accidentally stumble upon something like 20 without even trying. Landman had what 4 in 70-some snaps last year alone.

Really? How so? I understand the RB part, but it seems the have Evans at #1, who actually was very productive before his injury, then 4 RB's all tied for 2nd. Are you referring to McMillian not being on top?

McMillan and Fontenot are better than Evans. Also, Viska not starting? That's a joke. He's are best WR (yes, I think he's better than Winfree).

Lang is a wild card for the success/depth of the DL. Obviously a lot rides on Javier making a big jump from last year, but Lang has true blue chip talent and size. If he's ready to go, it should change the outlook of the DL, IMO.

Back