What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Predictions for RMS

That's impossible. We had 5'6 Rodney Stewart out there

Give me a 5'6 RB with great feet any day over the big guys with stiff hips. Size really only matters as a season wears on. Guys like Stewart are more apt to get dinged due to the pounding over the course of a year. Its just harder for a smaller frame to withstand.

That said I do like Nwoke. I think he has good combination size and speed. He really came on towards the end of last season. However, no one is going to confuse him for those "quick-twitch" backs who have the ability to make plays in space. He is what CSU has always been successful at producing - a downhill, one-cut runner who hits the hole hard.

Give me a 5'6 RB with great feet any day over the big guys with stiff hips. Size really only matters as a season wears on. Guys like Stewart are more apt to get dinged due to the pounding over the course of a year. Its just harder for a smaller frame to withstand.

That said I do like Nwoke. I think he has good combination size and speed. He really came on towards the end of last season. However, no one is going to confuse him for those "quick-twitch" backs who have the ability to make plays in space. He is what CSU has always been successful at producing - a downhill, one-cut runner who hits the hole hard.
In all honesty, I think the key matchup is our DL (either dinged up, small, or young) slowing down your OL (some experience and skill although a lot is returning from injury). I can't imagine your D is gonna shut us down with the front 7 issues you have. If our DL just does an OK job slowing down nwoke (and we keep grayson running around and throwing picks without killing us on scrambles) CU will win this one going away.

However, if the ground and pound arises, CU will have to be mistake free on offense to give the D a rest and take advantage of the opportunities they do get, because this game will be close and short.

And this makes sense with the lack of real game changers at the skill positions for both teams over the years - especially QB.

QB is the real wildcard this year. I don't think either coaches know what to expect. Grayson has the ability to keep some plays/series alive with his legs. That will be a big change from recent years on the CSU side anyway.

QB is the real wildcard this year. I don't think either coaches know what to expect. Grayson has the ability to keep some plays/series alive with his legs. That will be a big change from recent years on the CSU side anyway.

I do hope he is able to move around back there, I think CU will be spending a lot of time in the CSU backfield this year. At least from what I have heard about your O-Line in practice. Looking forward to this game

In all honesty, I think the key matchup is our DL (either dinged up, small, or young) slowing down your OL (some experience and skill although a lot is returning from injury). I can't imagine your D is gonna shut us down with the front 7 issues you have. If our DL just does an OK job slowing down nwoke (and we keep grayson running around and throwing picks without killing us on scrambles) CU will win this one going away.

However, if the ground and pound arises, CU will have to be mistake free on offense to give the D a rest and take advantage of the opportunities they do get, because this game will be close and short.

Agreed. Given all the injuries suffered last season, CSU's o-line needs to gel quickly. Its a solid bunch, but I don't expect a 2009 type o-line performance. How well they deal with CU's DL will really set the tone one way or the other for the game.

Our front 7 is definitely thin and a work in progess. CSU needs to keep CU passing on third down because I think CSU does have some decent edge rushers out of the 3-4 set. However, if its 3rd and short most of the day - CSU will be in trouble.

I do hope he is able to move around back there, I think CU will be spending a lot of time in the CSU backfield this year. At least from what I have heard about your O-Line in practice. Looking forward to this game

Capriglio and Baird are back at the tackles. Neither were available during spring ball. Plus the offense is always behind the defense when installing a new system with different line calls and terminology. If both are healthy I think they will play pretty well.

Capriglio and Baird are back at the tackles. Neither were available during spring ball. Plus the offense is always behind the defense when installing a new system with different line calls and terminology. If both are healthy I think they will play pretty well.

Both had knee injuries?

Basically what I am thinking. The spring was a red herring. Your OL is probably going to be solid. Our true frosh on the DL are going to need to be what they are cracked up to be, or it is going to be a long day. Unless, of course, our corners are bad ass (who knows!) and we can stack the box with impunity.

Uribe against a OT coming off injury should be an interesting matchup

If I were CU, I would move Uribe around and over towards Baird's side of the line on passing downs. Baird is a bit larger than Capriglio, but he doesn't get into his protection as quickly.

If I were CU, I would move Uribe around and over towards Baird's side of the line on passing downs. Baird is a bit larger than Capriglio, but he doesn't get into his protection as quickly.
*forwards to buff coaches* :wink2:

I'm really looking forward to the blitzes that we come up with now that we have an actual secondary. When we actually had corners last year, Brown got guys into the backfield unblocked at least a few times a game. I think that Utah QB still has nightmares of Major coming up the middle at him :lol:

Basically what I am thinking. The spring was a red herring. Your OL is probably going to be solid. Our true frosh on the DL are going to need to be what they are cracked up to be, or it is going to be a long day. Unless, of course, our corners are bad ass (who knows!) and we can stack the box with impunity.

Thats actually why I don't think CSU's tackles are the key match-up. To me it really comes down to the center, Richburg. If he can control his gap(s) and give Nwoke the creases he needs on the inside I don't think CSU will be forced to pass as much.

Thats actually why I don't think CSU's tackles are the key match-up. To me it really comes down to the center, Richburg. If he can control his gap(s) and give Nwoke the creases he needs on the inside I don't think CSU will be forced to pass as much.
Eh, I think your Tackles against our smaller DE's' could be a bad matchup. Our returning DE's had a real problem holding up against the run last year. Supposedly CUD has come on strong, but we don't know how Juda Parker is doing, and a true frosh could steal that spot.

Eh, I think your Tackles against our smaller DE's' could be a bad matchup. Our returning DE's had a real problem holding up against the run last year. Supposedly CUD has come on strong, but we don't know how Juda Parker is doing, and a true frosh could steal that spot.

Don't forget Bonsu is apparently 100% healthy and is trying to really prove himself this year. Our front 7 could either be great and truly wreak havoc our it could be mediocre... we will see on sept 1st

Don't forget Bonsu is apparently 100% healthy and is trying to really prove himself this year. Our front 7 could either be great and truly wreak havoc our it could be mediocre... we will see on sept 1st
Our ceiling is nowhere near "truly wreak havoc." Pericak is good, not great. Bonsu has the potential to be good, but hasn't been good for 3 years. our DE's are decent pass rushers and serviceable at best against the run.

Basically, our ceiling, if everything works out (including the frosh), is "solid."

Our ceiling is nowhere near "truly wreak havoc." Pericak is good, not great. Bonsu has the potential to be good, but hasn't been good for 3 years. our DE's are decent pass rushers and serviceable at best against the run.

Basically, our ceiling, if everything works out (including the frosh), is "solid."

If our LB's return to the level they were playing at times last year, and our DL is improved we really could do some damage on O-Lines. You have to keep in mind we likely have a decent secondary this year.

CSU's DEs had the same problem last season and were simliarly sized. If CU's DEs allow themselves to get sealed on the edge, Nwoke can be a load to bring down when he gets a head of steam. Like we have been saying, the point of attack is going to be critical again this year.

Agree with Darth on the front seven's ceiling. We are still going to have struggles at times due to our lack of DE depth.

If our LB's return to the level they were playing at times last year, and our DL is improved we really could do some damage on O-Lines. You have to keep in mind we likely have a decent secondary this year.

Alot of it is scheme. TCU fields a top 25 defense almost every season and they do it with 6'3 250lb DEs. The difference is TCU is always attacking the line of scrimmage and using their speed off the edge - even against the run on early downs. CSU never did that last season and got torn apart against the run.

Early turnovers are what scare me. Our nightmare scenario is that we fally behind early on stupid turnovers by our inexperience skill players. We are forced to pass while CSU grinds down the clock behind Nwoke.

Agree with Darth on the front seven's ceiling. We are still going to have struggles at times due to our lack of DE depth.
I was thinking about it, and with Kisima not making it in... I could see 3 of our Frosh DE getting significant snaps unless both CUD and Juda turn it on big time. And even then, those guys will need breaks. That is not good and will cause problems. We have no proven depth on the DL. At all.

Early turnovers are what scare me. Our nightmare scenario is that we fally behind early on stupid turnovers by our inexperience skill players. We are forced to pass while CSU grinds down the clock behind Nwoke.

A big special teams play is also a fear of mine. CU always seems to get an early one in this game.

I was thinking about it, and with Kisima not making it in... I could see 3 of our Frosh DE getting significant snaps unless both CUD and Juda turn it on big time. And even then, those guys will need breaks. That is not good and will cause problems. We have no proven depth on the DL. At all.

I think our issues are really going to be exploited on the edges though. Poor DE depth and a LB group that has adequate (not great) speed is a bad matchup for some of the spread teams we will face.

I think our issues are really going to be exploited on the edges though. Poor DE depth and a LB group that has adequate (not great) speed is a bad matchup for some of the spread teams we will face.

Where I'm most worried is with Zona and Oregon. Those offenses put a ton of pressure on DEs to make the correct reads.

Is Major still there? That kid is a pretty good sideline to sideline LB.

Back