What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pregame Thread - CU vs CSU at Mile High

Now you kids have gone and done it. You made me rep the Ram cause he keeps being good n stuff. Why did you do that?

Then I will neg rep him to counter.

Ramfan does not appear to be the typical CSU fan. He is seemingly realistic and can type a coherent sentence. We are not used to that from that fan base.

Truthfully, I think it was easier to claim that this game was our whole season back when it really meant something to beat CU. Please don't take that the wrong way, CSU can use every bit of positive publicity that beating any P5 team comes with, but winning this game isn't going to bring a ton of attention, glory, or props to CSU like it did back in the late 90s/early 00s.

You'll get no argument from me on that one. We had the same issue with Nebraska. That program hasn't been the same since what CU did to them in 2001 and the games after that weren't quite what they were when we were matching ourselves against a Top 5 program. Still a rivalry. Still hated them. But it lost something when they stopped being elite. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to stomach losing 75% of the time when your opponent is great.

You'll get no argument from me on that one. We had the same issue with Nebraska. That program hasn't been the same since what CU did to them in 2001 and the games after that weren't quite what they were when we were matching ourselves against a Top 5 program. Still a rivalry. Still hated them. But it lost something when they stopped being elite. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to stomach losing 75% of the time when your opponent is great.

Indeed. Post 2002, any wins against them were great but nowhere near as satisfying as when both teams were top 5-15 quality from 89-02.

I remember that game with Nebraska. I kept asking myself if this was real life, the way CU was putting the hurt on them.

I honestly think most CSU fans are fine/normal people, like most CU fans. I think both groups tend to bring out the worst in each other, especially if they are trying to be assholes.

Curious statment here. IIRC, CSU actually had a lead in the second half. CSU was alive and loud. There were several Buffs fans audibly pissed at yet another sh***y start to a season. This all changed by the end obviously, but that Hansley kid was a backbreaker and Ramfan had much to cheer about.

CSU plays Bama close (respect to Sparkles maybe), that might have just been moral victory, but should have given hope to Ramfan last year that the program is improving.

Respect for Ramfan and all, but still **** SCEwe.

If you look at the yardage totals and CSU's inability to run the ball, it was a different game on the scoreboard than it was on the field.

Like last year when we hosted Oregon. On the scoreboard, we were in that thing for a long time. But we really weren't.

I remember that game with Nebraska. I kept asking myself if this was real life, the way CU was putting the hurt on them.

I honestly think most CSU fans are fine/normal people, like most CU fans. I think both groups tend to bring out the worst in each other, especially if they are trying to be assholes.

Funny thing is, most of us here used to root for CSU. I remember back in '93 or so CSU went down to Tucson and beat that Desert Swarm team. I was pulling for CSU the whole way. A lot of that has changed since the mid 2000's though. A lot of vitriol spewed from the younger CSU fan base. That has turned off a lot of CU fans to CSU.

One of the main reasons I don't want to play CSU anymore is that I had a cousin play for CSU and used to like them. Then Sonny arrived and BVP acted like an asshole, and the clincher was walking into games at MIle High and having drunk CSU students almost attacking my wife. They were wise enough not to actually touch her I would have been in jail and many of them in the hospital. I was quivering with rage and she was trying to drag my lone ass out of a group of 100 kids (this was before the tear gas game maybe..some radio station had a old green and gold car that the kids were dancing on top of and smashing it).

That was the last game she went to, and will ever go to that CSU is involved. I think that perhaps if we stopped playing them then maybe I could root for them again. Right now, I really don't think it is productive in any fashion for the fan bases of either team.

Funny thing is, most of us here used to root for CSU. I remember back in '93 or so CSU went down to Tucson and beat that Desert Swarm team. I was pulling for CSU the whole way. A lot of that has changed since the mid 2000's though. A lot of vitriol spewed from the younger CSU fan base. That has turned off a lot of CU fans to CSU.

We were in the student section in Hughes in '96 with our CSU buddies and it was a great time as they rooted for CU as well (when they weren't playing the Rams). I don't know if that would happen today.

We were in the student section in Hughes in '96 with our CSU buddies and it was a great time as they rooted for CU as well (when they weren't playing the Rams). I don't know if that would happen today.

Hard to think that could happen today but many students from both schools went to HS together so maybe. I went to a game at Hughes while I was a student at CU and had a pretty good time in their student section. The beer served there was a huge plus.

I was also at that game in 96. Good times and I did not feel a hostile environment compared to mile high post 2002. The 1998 or 97 game was great too. I believe Sykes was a true freshman and had an enormous hit that I still remember.

The RMS needs a break. It would be healthy for both sides and allow things to get back to that. I'd love to feel like I could head up to Fort Collins to watch the Rams play a Utah State or Boise State or Fresno State, cheer for them, and have the CSU faithful be welcoming to me.

I want to cheer for the state. I root for Air Force. I would love it if UNCo won the Big Sky. I think it's awesome when CSU-Pueblo does well or when RMAC teams do well, or DU is in the tourney for hockey or lacrosse or has a good basketball season.

CSU is literally the only in-state program I root against. It's not right that I like it when Wyoming beats them.

Funny thing is, most of us here used to root for CSU.

I don't know about that. Some of my earliest words as a little kid were "#$% CSUUU". Dad looked at me and said, "now son, we're all Coloradans", to which I giggled and said,
"#$% CSUUU".

Both groups have some bad fans. I've been to every CSU/CU game since 01 besides the last game at Folsom (where we actually won). Believe it or not going to Folsom for that game is pretty uncomfortable as a CSU fan. It was tense, and while most people were pretty good some absolutely we not. I didn't go for the last one there because of how much of a headache it was. I imagine it would be just like that now for CU fans if the game were to be at Hughes. It's easy to blame all of this on the younger CSU fans, which admittedly can be terrible at times and I probably wasn't much better at that age, but there is plenty of blame for CU fans to share. I wouldn't be surprised if many of you here think you are better because you went to CU (if you aren't an alum then lol), like it really is that much better than CSU, and it can show. CSU fans probably think the opposite, but for different reasons. I could have gone to either school, CU has a nice campus and Boulder is a nice city, I just liked the feeling of Fort Collins a little better. I think both fan bases, at times, try to get under each others skin and know exactly how to do so.

One of the main reasons I don't want to play CSU anymore is that I had a cousin play for CSU and used to like them. Then Sonny arrived and BVP acted like an asshole, and the clincher was walking into games at MIle High and having drunk CSU students almost attacking my wife. They were wise enough not to actually touch her I would have been in jail and many of them in the hospital. I was quivering with rage and she was trying to drag my lone ass out of a group of 100 kids (this was before the tear gas game maybe..some radio station had a old green and gold car that the kids were dancing on top of and smashing it).

That was the last game she went to, and will ever go to that CSU is involved. I think that perhaps if we stopped playing them then maybe I could root for them again. Right now, I really don't think it is productive in any fashion for the fan bases of either team.
A rammie student, a guy, hit my daughter in the side of the head with his fist and knocked her flat at one of the games in Denver. The ****er. That was it for me. **** csu.

I despise CSU fans as much as the next guy. I once took a neutral friend of mine who was visiting from Maryland to the game, a guy who had no ax to grind either way, and after the game he said to me, "you know what those CSU fans are? Louts! Drunken louts!" It was a perfect description.

That being said, a in a different year I took my then brother-in-law to the Denver game, and he was a CSU alum who was wearing a CSU shirt. As we patiently waited to be frisked by stadium security a couple of young CU fans (undergraduates by the look of them), started hassling him in humorless, obnoxious fashion. I was embarrassed, and said something to the effect of "Dude! This man is my guest. Chill out!" The undergraduate looked at me and and started to give me some lip, and I was then forced to say "Dude! Have some class!" He finally shut up. While I still despise CSU fans, by no means do I think that our fans are as pure as the driven snow when it comes to bad behavior.

Responding to the two posts above, I don't know what to make of this team. Objectively, I question how we are going to replace the production we had at running back last year. Even if these new RBs are serviceable we need to credit Bibbs for making some plays that our new RBs just won't be able to make. I think we had a solid line, especially towards the end of the year, but I don't think it was quite as good as some of you state. Regardless, that many departures is another issue that I'm unsure how we will deal with. For us to be better this season Grayson has to take the next step. By the end of last season he was pretty decent, but he wasn't a threat to be feared. He will have to be able to do that, at least at times, this year. I don't know if he will be able to do that. These things are all legitimate concerns and could become nightmares.

However, there is a bit of blind optimism that we could be at least as good as the end of last year due to another year of program continuity, the team continuing to gel (if that is even real), HCSparkles learning from his mistakes, Grayson being no worse at the beginning of this year than he was at the end of last year and................... because the bar wasn't set real high to begin with. Our schedule is soft, we don't need to be very good to win 6 games.

I realize that doesn't definitively answer your question. I hope we are as good as last year but it wouldn't surprise me if we aren't.
Absolute best part of this post is that we now have at least one CSU fan calling their coach Sparkles; this needs to become a trend.

This is probably the biggest reason why the season needs to go on hiatus for a while. It might return some civility to both fan bases (in regards to each other - we'll always be assholes to NU).

I could have gone to either school, CU has a nice campus and Boulder is a nice city, I just liked the feeling of Fort Collins a little better.

Holy ****! We all actually have two things in common with you, no wonder we're getting along so well. We normally only have one thing in common with CSU fans.

We all got in to CSU.

Around post 300 this became a good thread. Thanks to all for the therapeutic discussion. Until the tear gas game, I always rooted for CSU (against anyone else that is). I have had many connections there even though I wasn't a student. I cringe when I hear, "it sucks to be a CSU ram." Of course, the original is pretty annoying, I just hope for more class and better creativity from our fans like most of the C-unit stuff.

I also to root for CSU as well back in the 90s. It was fun to read about both teams winning in the Sunday newspaper. I think CSU actually alienated a portion of the CU fans in the state from rooting for them with at least some possible financial support (like catching a game up in Fort Collins when CU is out of town).

Last edited:
Hart is the biggie there, the rest is depth. Sparkles may be sandbagging a bit also.

Hart is the biggie there, the rest is depth. Sparkles may be sandbagging a bit also.
That would be smart after what he put himself and the team thru last year all but guaranteeing the victory. I still remember that press conference and how painful it was for him. Watching the look on sparkles face as he picked the lint off the table was priceless.

That would be smart after what he put himself and the team thru last year all but guaranteeing the victory. I still remember that press conference and how painful it was for him. Watching the look on sparkles face as he picked the lint off the table was priceless.
HAH! I completely forgot about that. That was pure gold.

Would make a great gif if anyone was so inclined...

These kinds of injuries will just make them play with an even bigger chip on their shoulder. It's still their Super Bowl. We need to make sure we show up ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back