What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB choice?

What should be the call at QB?

• Total voters
Noyer didn’t make it a half at Oregon State. Thinking that last year would have been substantively better with him is laughable
Substantively better in the sense that first downs would not be significant accomplishments for this team with him under center?

That should be obvious.
My issue with the situational usage of Lewis is that it would be for wildcat sets. He's really poor at reading & recognizing a defense in the run game - getting out of plays the defense is stacked to stop, reading the End to choose whether to hand off or pull it on zone read, recognizing blitzes to hit a receiver on a hot read. Since he can't do those things, I don't know what the situation is when I'd pull Shrout to put him in.
Is there anybody on here who would not start JT with McCown as the backup?

Lewis needs a step back.

Guys - I don't think we have consensus here. Don't you think we should give it a few more games to play out?

1662659587240.png

Guys - I don't think we have consensus here. Don't you think we should give it a few more games to play out?

View attachment 54006
I think we're good.

war platoon GIF

They wont ruin him. He is a QB, from a family of QBs.
How do we know he is not ready? Because this staff says so? :ROFLMAO:
You have a guy who when he was recruited everyone knew needed time to develop and mature but because fans who aren't they watching everyday are frustrated they know more than anyone else. Yea, let's just roll a kid who was playing HS ball out there to spend his time getting up after getting blasted over and over. Really good way to teach a kid to go through his progressions and make quality decisions. And putting an inexperienced QB behind a tissue paper OL with no running attack is a great way to develop confidence.

I don't think playing in this offense would be good for a freshman QB if his last name were Manning.

But fine, let's just keep throwing QBs out there to get destroyed. By the way were you one of the ones who a couple years ago was insisting that Lewis had to play?

I think you're right. With the current redshirt rules, they can get him on the field running the offense once games aren't in doubt. Everything that can be done to give him a good shot at winning the job in 2023 should be done.

I'd start JT Shrout and play Lewis if JT has to miss a play or series or whatever, then use McCown as the mop up duty guy.

Agree with you and Duff, There are ways to get a young QB on field experience without exposing him to the beating that is involved in just "throwing him out there to see what he's got."

Considering their incompetence at everything else do we think this staff would manage that well?

Shrout is gone after this year, but I assume Lewis is as well. I can’t imagine him coming back after the heat he will take from the fans for Karl this year.

This is where you really want a new offensive minded HC to bring in a transfer QB and set up McCown for success

Shrout is gone after this year, but I assume Lewis is as well. I can’t imagine him coming back after the heat he will take from the fans for Karl this year.

This is where you really want a new offensive minded HC to bring in a transfer QB and set up McCown for success
I was just thinking about that. I wonder if the new transfer rules change the calculus on coaching hires for programs like Colorado. Find the best non-P5 frosh or soph QB out there, and try to hire his coach.

If that happens, it has to be some kind of a first. How bad of a HC do you have to be to chase away your first and second string QB's?

If that happens, it has to be some kind of a first. How bad of a HC do you have to be to chase away your first and second string QB's?
Oh actually just checked and says he’s a junior on the roster. I thought this was his last year. In that case he should be back, nvm

Last edited:
I would love to have McCown play, but do not want to burn that RS in a year where the coach is going to be tossed

Lewis I think you're right on. Just a guess, but he'll go back to some G5 in TX and finish there. Who knows what Shrout's going to do? I could see him staying here, but if he goes-that's why a coaching search has to start with Blake Anderson and Ricky Rahne IMO.

Lewis I think you're right on. Just a guess, but he'll go back to some G5 in TX and finish there. Who knows what Shrout's going to do? I could see him staying here, but if he goes-that's why a coaching search has to start with Blake Anderson and Ricky Rahne IMO.
Holy sh*t Ricky rahne was born in Morrison! Hope he has a house here

I would love to have McCown play, but do not want to burn that RS in a year where the coach is going to be tossed
He can play up to four games and still keep the RS. If you play him this year, I think you really want to start that process off at Folsom. Still need to set the young man up to be successful, and starting him in either of these next two games I don't think does that for a couple of reasons-They're both road games, and they are probably the two hardest environments CU will play in this year. I'd make McCown the backup to Shrout, but give him a three game run in October. Maybe give him that first start against Cal, the Oregon State game to see how he handles a road environment, and then Arizona State.

He can play up to four games and still keep the RS. If you play him this year, I think you really want to start that process off at Folsom. Still need to set the young man up to be successful, and starting him in either of these next two games I don't think does that for a couple of reasons-They're both road games, and they are probably the two hardest environments CU will play in this year. I'd make McCown the backup to Shrout, but give him a three game run in October. Maybe give him that first start against Cal, the Oregon State game to see how he handles a road environment, and then Arizona State.
I agree. They didn't do Lewis any favors last year. For all we know he was ruined from it, but I guess someone had to be back there and get demolished.

Last edited:
A lot of this loss is on the coaches, particulary the D coaches. We played a great 1st half and then, like so many times last year, changed nothing for the 2nd half. Their coaches made adjustments, spread the field, rushed us a new A-hole.

The O sucked too.
Absent Klatt watching the game, I see Barnett as the most authoritative, informed - and loving - critic of the Buffs. When JS threw the bad ball, GB immediately said, "that's his problem" and noted that at TN, and at practice here, he thinks he can complete evey pass and will throw into coverage all day. I'm guess KD does a balance.
There is no doubt, Lewis plays nervous.

Disluke. Lewis is playing as well as he can. Dude showed a lot of heart in some of his runs last year. But to this point, he just hasn’t shown the ability to play well enough. I don’t think it’s a motivation issue like you suggest.
To clarify: Blew plays with no sense of urgency, as though the job is his for good. That is what I meant. Maybe we're seeing the same thing with 2 different takes on it.

To clarify: Blew plays with no sense of urgency, as though the job is his for good. That is what I meant. Maybe we're seeing the same thing with 2 different takes on it.
Fair. My perspective is that he plays tentatively, afraid to make a mistake, which I think was erroneously coached into him last year. And it appears that is still an issue for him this year.

Fair. My perspective is that he plays tentatively, afraid to make a mistake, which I think was erroneously coached into him last year. And it appears that is still an issue for him this year.
That could be a more correct way to see it and takes into account his hesitance last year when it looked like there were plays to be made. Appreciate your post on this. The kid is in a difficult situation, as is Shrout.

Add to this that line play has been so poor that he rarely has had the opportunity to reach the decision point without being under pressure. He is looking like a guy who even when not under pressure is anticipating it instead of just playing.

Back