What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

(Quasi) Official CU-CSU game thread

• Second half was encouraging, CU had struggled down the stretch in a couple games this season

You have asked why i grate at your posts and go after them in the past, you've complained about it (probably fairly) but this is an example, I saw it agreed with most of it and thought, huh? really we've struggled down the stretch in games? The rest of it i am on board with but I dont recall us struggling down the stretch if anything it seems like we've been better in the second half, but its plausible. If its plausible and the cardiac Buffs like to kill me - then it could point to issues closing games that would rear their head later.

So then i back check a few things and we've only been outscored in the second half by AFA and ISU, ISU we played tighter in the second half so and dead even over the last 15 so it didnt happen there, and while its sort of true against AFA (up 19 w/4 to go) the scrubs gave up pretty most of that. UNCO we didn't boat race as badly as we did in the first half but if you thought Tad was going to embarrass his old school you don't know Tad very well. So its basically not true, its a mildly plausible worst case scenario.

So no they havent struggled down the stretch at all this year, if anything it is the first half of games that should worry us, we wont always be able to come back a-la Auburn and CSU from those poor first halves.

1st half margin: +24
2nd half margin: +70

Crazy to me that we owned the second half despite only making 2 threes. This team is very well rounded.

I know the defense wasn't great in the first half but a lot of that was just that CSU was hot. Clavell would have made more threes in the second half but they don't have a lot of depth so his legs are going to get tired and his shot has a lot of jump in it so you know that wasn't going to continue.

I don't see how anybody can come away from that game with the idea that we "struggled". CU just beat the living piss out of the goats in their gym.

I don't see how anybody can come away from that game with the idea that we "struggled". CU just beat the living piss out of the goats in their gym.

And we beat them when they shot well from three and we didn't.

cat%20-%20i%20love%20this%20thread%20so%20much-2.jpg

I post this not so much as a love for this thread (which I have) but as an homage to the basketball board in general. The font of statistics, opinions, and overall basketball knowledge here is incredible. Thank you to the mods and all the constructive participants (you know who you are) for making this what has to be the best CU basketball site on the web, and what may well be the best (if not the busiest) CBB site in the nation. Kudos to all!

Forgive me ... I get a little sentimental this time of year, and even more so at this stage of my life. And yes ... I am a little drunk.

GO BUFFS!!!

After your embarrassing post during the first half, maybe you should sit a few plays out.
Good game for careless posters to learn from. Sure we didn't expect or want to be down 13 at half to CSU, but this Buff team is not going to cave, and posting the sad hopelessness of this year's team before the game is over is a mistake. This is not the first time either.

And in reviewing this most excellent thread, I came across this:

Very good officiating crew.

We all give officials a lot of criticism and outright virulence ... and it is often well deserved. But I share pate's take on this crew ... I thought they did a great job today. They didn't make themselves more important than the game, they didn't make any flagrantly bad (or even just bad) calls that I can remember, and when they had a different take on a call among them they consulted with each other and tried to get it right. And they didn't make many ticky-tack calls ... they "let 'em play" ... but it was called evenly IMO.

Just sayin' we should appreciate good officiating in the rare games in which it occurs.

My big takeaway on the team from today is that it was confirmation that they can handle a hostile game environment.

Played ISU in a "neutral" game within 6 despite J40 playing his worst game
Came back to blow away Auburn in their gym on national tv during the tipoff marathon with them having their best crowd in forever.
Came back to blow away CSU in their gym in the one game they live for.

This is something we haven't seen before. It's early in the season, so I'm not calling it fact yet. But there is definitely a great trend at work.

This is something we haven't seen before. It's early in the season, so I'm not calling it fact yet. But there is definitely a great trend at work.

Pac12 play is lining up to be something special. Any pre-season prognosticators who picked CU to finish in the bottom half of the conference may want to revise their predictions. Eight games in to the season and I can't wait to see how the Buffs stack up against everyone else in the conference. This team has more depth than I've seen during the Boyle era.

Pac12 play is lining up to be something special. Any pre-season prognosticators who picked CU to finish in the bottom half of the conference may want to revise their predictions. Eight games in to the season and I can't wait to see how the Buffs stack up against everyone else in the conference. This team has more depth than I've seen during the Boyle era.

It also looks like there isn't an easy out on the Pac-12 schedule this year. Weakest team looks like Stanford, but they're a dangerous team with a good deal of young talent.

Pac is also stacked. Things can change (last year Washington entered January pushing the top 10 and finished 5-13 and 11th), but it looks like a real grind. Not a single easy road game anymore (like USC of years past, for instance). We've got a good team, but if our record ends up being much prettier than Tad's first 3 Pac years we will truly be something special. The Pac is simply a different animal now.

Maybe they have the crowd mics turned down but Moby does not sound like it is rocking to get in the Buffs' heads or anything. An in-person report could tell me I'm wrong. Crowd doesn't sound like they think it's the rivalry game the broadcast team played it up to be.
The ROOT mics were very quiet. Both the CSU and CU fans were louder than they appeared to be on TV. CSU fans got pretty loud on made baskets but they aren't very educated basketball fans. With a handful of exceptions things were pretty quiet when CU had the ball after a big CSU bucket.

Tad went with the 7 man rotation in the 2nd half, as Talton and Miller needed to sit.
Wes Gordon really went crazy, especially the early run in the 2nd half. In every phase.
Not sure I agree with Tad's insistence on sitting Dom when he gets that early 2nd foul. I'd take him out but I'd use him for a few minutes to spell Yaz. He needs a break. What is magic about allowing him to play most of the 2nd half?

Tad went with the 7 man rotation in the 2nd half, as Talton and Miller needed to sit.
Wes Gordon really went crazy, especially the early run in the 2nd half. In every phase.
Not sure I agree with Tad's insistence on sitting Dom when he gets that early 2nd foul. I'd take him out but I'd use him for a few minutes to spell Yaz. He needs a break. What is magic about allowing him to play most of the 2nd half?

The interesting thing is that other teams are going after Dom and will continue to until Dom figures out the foul issues. Pretty much every set play to start games and the 2nd half is an iso attacking Dom to try to get him started with a foul. It looks like the book on beating CU is to get Dom off the court and also to frustrate & annoy him into committing a cheap foul.

Once Dom takes the next step on that issue -- and Yaz takes the next step so that the team doesn't miss much of a beat when Dom's on the bench -- then this team will get scary good.

It also looks like there isn't an easy out on the Pac-12 schedule this year. Weakest team looks like Stanford, but they're a dangerous team with a good deal of young talent.

This is true. Yet there are only two ranked teams, Arizona (19) and Oregon (15). CU could beat either on the right day. Collectively the PAC12 has amassed a 68-20 record (.773) thus far and yet no others have been embraced by the polls. The pundits must not have a clue who is good, and are content to watch the teams cannibalize each other.

It's hard to tell how many P12 teams could realistically punch a ticket to the NCAAs. Three? Four? Seven? At this point, as you say, every team in the conference could go dancing.

Having depth this year is key in getting separation between the top and bottom. I'm glad that Tadd sat Tory "Chomps" Miller while giving minutes to Fortune, Akyazili and Talton. CU will need production from the bench to separate from the pack. And CU can get production. You don't know whether King, Fortune, Scott, Fletcher or Collier will be the leading scorer from game to game. And the D has proven they can rebound and clamp down. It's exciting to think about what happens when CU plays at it's ceiling, because you know that when they are hitting on all cylinders, they could beat anyone.

It's the old (but true) saw ... if it happens west of the eastern time zone, it's minimally important. And if it happens west of the central, it's irrelevant. And I say that as a born and raised east-coaster.

Arizona will rise in a big way due to their win at Gonzaga, while Oregon will fall due to their loss to UNLV (likely still ranked).Utah and Cal have been ranked already. Utah is certain to reappear tomorrow (26th and 27th this past week). Cal may well reappear in the Coaches' (28th last week) although they've done nothing to warrant being ranked. Despite having 3 losses, UCLA likely gets a good deal of votes since they beat Kentucky. As for us, we deserve to get some votes at the moment, but since we aren't a name brand and received zero hype preseason it will be a long road to receive a ranking or even a decent amount of votes.

Sorry if answered elsewhere, but why did CU wear white uniforms today for a road game?

Sorry if answered elsewhere, but why did CU wear white uniforms today for a road game?

Because it was a "Green Out" game for CSU ... and the home team gets to pick their unis for games. Same as in the NFL and other leagues ... not sure about how CFB works.

That was such a fun game to watch. Tad had the team make such fantastic adjustments and go the right guys on the floor in the second half. Got the team to use their size and go inside and not waste trips down the floor with bad outside shots. Absolutely fantastic defense that keyed the offense. The coaching staff and the team in general have taken huge steps up from last year. Absolutely fantastic win!

Because it was a "Green Out" game for CSU ... and the home team gets to pick their unis for games. Same as in the NFL and other leagues ... not sure about how CFB works.

Visitors wear white unless the home team allows it. The only exception that I know of is USC-UCLA that play their home colors and the visitor used to lose a timeout each half for now following the rules (both teams would cede it to keep tradition). That has since been changed.

Here's a good video with some live sound for those of you wondering what the noise level was like in there. It's from FoCo TV but they have some good second half CU highlights in there. There's also a delightfully loud "Just Like Football" chant at 1:47.

Here's a good video with some live sound for those of you wondering what the noise level was like in there. It's from FoCo TV but they have some good second half CU highlights in there. There's also a delightfully loud "Just Like Football" chant at 1:47.

I respect that they actually showed positive CU highlights, unlike the CU website where you can never tell who won the game from highlights alone.

Visitors wear white unless the home team allows it. The only exception that I know of is USC-UCLA that play their home colors and the visitor used to lose a timeout each half for now following the rules (both teams would cede it to keep tradition). That has since been changed.

Wrong board SBG. (y)

Would be nice if I could get some legit highlights in this day and age

Sitting up in the B section it was hard not to notice the average CSU fan. Overweight, wearing some form of hunting attire (camo). Pretty much clueless in terms of basketball. We had a complete idiot plump Mom and her plump offspring in front of us. She kept looking back at us like "how dare you cheer the visiting team in our house". Whatever. She got up and left early, towing the kids behind her. One of my greatest moments as a Buff fan. "Have a great rest of your afternoon"!

Back