What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Questions for the former Buff football players on the board

Strongest Player: Joel Freaking STEED. Broke my helmet once.

Fastest Player: Carruth, but JJ could blaze on the field.

Best Athlete:Mike Pritchard...240+ vs. Tenn as an RB.

Toughest: Joe Garten

Meanest: Tate Nelson, his sarcasm could be so cruel...:smile2:

Funniest: Lee Hipp over Alfred Williams, Billy Coleman et al.

After we beat Choklahoma State with a fake FG pass to Fauria from about 30 yds. out and the team headed out to the buses, Lee exclamed, "Hey, where's the extra bus for coach Mac and his BALLS?"

After we beat Choklahoma State with a fake FG pass to Fauria from about 30 yds. out and the team headed out to the buses, Lee exclamed, "Hey, where's the extra bus for coach Mac and his BALLS?"

:lol: i heard that story years ago, but had forgotten it. that's just so freaking awesome. some press guys heard that quote too, as i recall.

so awesome.

Strongest: Hard to choose from quite few linemen(DL and OL)... Carl Taibi, Chuck Mandrill, Scott Mahoney, Stu Aldrich, Bill Bain(he quit during the year) and Bill Kralicek. Cullen Bryant, a DB was very strong.

Fastest: Cliff Branch. And Larry Brunson was only a step behind. Branch was one of the fastest men in the WORLD at the time. He had a 9.2 100 yards(not meters) and Brunson had a 9.3 100 yards. Branch tied a WR for the 60 meter dash at one time. (Bloom, I believe was clocked in 9.4 for 100 yards.)

Best Athlete: Probably Cullen Bryant, Charlie Davis and J.V. Cain

Toughest: Herb Orivis and Bud Magrum

Meanest: Bud Magrum and Herb Orivis. They were the meanest and toughest on the field, but very good guys otherwise.

Funniest: Billie Drake, J.V. Cain, John Stearns, Willie Nichols and Cliff Branch were just a few from a very happy-go-lucky team.

This was 1971.

Last edited:
Meanist: Andre Gurode, I remember him knocking a Nebraska player from the goal line to the back of the end zone on one of CU's touchdowns when Brown ran wild.

with an official right behind them trying to get it stopped.:thumbsup:

Damn. This a great thread. Thanks for reminding why I came here in the first place, and why I proud to be a Buff. Stiggers. Lee Hipp. Cullen Bryant. J.V. Cain... diggin' up some serious old memories there.

Strongest: Hard to choose from quite few linemen(DL and OL)... Carl Taibi, Chuck Mandrill, Scott Mahoney, Stu Aldrich, Bill Bain(he quit during the year) and Bill Kralicek. Cullen Bryant, a DB was very strong.

Fastest: Cliff Branch. And Larry Brunson was only a step behind. Branch was one of the fastest men in the WORLD at the time. He had a 9.2 100 yards(not meters) and Brunson had a 9.3 100 yards. Branch tied a WR for the 60 meter dash at one time. (Bloom, I believe was clocked in 9.4 for 100 yards.)

Best Athlete: Probably Cullen Bryant, Charlie Davis and J.V. Cain

Toughest: Herb Orivis and Bud Magrum

Meanest: Bud Magrum and Herb Orivis. They were the meanest and toughest on the field, but very good guys otherwise.

Funniest: Billie Drake, J.V. Cain, John Stearns, Willie Nichols and Cliff Branch were just a few from a very happy-go-lucky team.

This was 1971.

after typing all of that, i bet you need an "Ensure"...:lol::thumbsup::smile:

Fastest Player: Marcus Stiggers
:yeahthat:. People keep bringing up Ben Kelly as the fastest. And while he was certainly fast, He probably wasn't in the top 5 on the team in any given year, as far as a timed 40 yd.

Stiggers was FAST. Cedric was FAST....they both ran ~10.3 100meters in H.S. Remember this name? Jeremy Weisinger....ran a 4.2something 40.

Carruth was the fastest of all IMO

:yeahthat:. People keep on bringing up Ben Kelly as the fastest. And while he was certainly fast, He probably wasn't in the top 5 on the team in any given year, as far as a timed 40 yd.

Stiggers was FAST. Cedric was FAST. Remember this name? Jeremy Weisinger....ran a 4.2something 40.

I know that the team speed has been greatly improved these last few years, but I don't think we have a Ben Kelly on the team, let alone a Carruth, Kidd, Stiggers, Cormier or Bloom.

The spring speed and strength numbers will be out sometime during spring ball, it'll be interesting to see where the wheels are.

:yeahthat:. People keep bringing up Ben Kelly as the fastest. And while he was certainly fast, He probably wasn't in the top 5 on the team in any given year, as far as a timed 40 yd.

Stiggers was FAST. Cedric was FAST....they both ran ~10.3 100meters in H.S. Remember this name? Jeremy Weisinger....ran a 4.2something 40.

I remember Jeremy. Great kid. He was one of the top QB recruits in the nation and probably Neuheisel's first big recruit at CU. He was smokin' fast. Would have been ideal for the Spread Options they are running now but was not suited well to a west-coast or drop-back attack. I think Neuheisel did a poor job with him and he eventually transferred to aTm where he played out his eligibility as a reserve safety. I really liked him and his family though. Wonder what he's doing now?

I remember Jeremy. Great kid. He was one of the top QB recruits in the nation and probably Neuheisel's first big recruit at CU. He was smokin' fast. Would have been ideal for the Spread Options they are running now but was not suited well to a west-coast or drop-back attack. I think Neuheisel did a poor job with him and he eventually transferred to aTm where he played out his eligibility as a reserve safety. I really liked him and his family though. Wonder what he's doing now?

You're right, he would have been great in the spread (if anyone was really ruunning it back in the 90's). Last I heard, he was a roughneck in TX.

Here is an interesting article about Jeremy. It sounded like he felt he just didn't fit in in Boulder and was never happy.

http://dev.12thmanfoundation.com/mag/Vol3/vol3no08/vol3no8.asp

the year that weisinger thought he'd get a shot at starting qb, skippy brought in moschetti from juco in spring ball. after about 30 seconds of practice, moschetti was named the starter. weisinger's dad was pretty involved (as they say) and the family was really unhappy. he transferred to atm right after that. the "not fitting in in boulder" stuff might be true, but it looks to me more like a typical situation where a guy transferred out when he didn't get a shot or whatever.

i suspect there is a strong chance we'll lose a qb after this spring too, but i don't have any inside info--- just looking at the depth chart, eligibility, and all that.

the year that weisinger thought he'd get a shot at starting qb, skippy brought in moschetti from juco in spring ball. after about 30 seconds of practice, moschetti was named the starter. weisinger's dad was pretty involved (as they say) and the family was really unhappy. he transferred to atm right after that. the "not fitting in in boulder" stuff might be true, but it looks to me more like a typical situation where a guy transferred out when he didn't get a shot or whatever.

i suspect there is a strong chance we'll lose a qb after this spring too, but i don't have any inside info--- just looking at the depth chart, eligibility, and all that.

I remember they tried him at returner and he just got drilled. Can't remember what game.

after typing all of that, i bet you need an "Ensure"...:lol::thumbsup::smile:

It took me 2 days to recover. :lol:

People don't realize how fast Branch was. He used to play games with guys in practice and give them 5-7 yards head start on a 40 yard dash and still beat them. I'm pretty sure his 40 time was 4.2 sec. He did tie a WR in the 60 meter dash. When you are one of the fastest men in the world, nobody is going to catch you from behind in college football.

Also, Bud Magrum and Herb Orvis were as tough as they come. Both had been in the military and were a little older and more mature than the typical player. Bud was a Marine and Herb was in the Army. Both were great guys. Unfortunately, Bud died in an auto accident some years ago.

It took me 2 days to recover. :lol:

People don't realize how fast Branch was. He used to play games with guys in practice and give them 5-7 yards head start on a 40 yard dash and still beat them. I'm pretty sure his 40 time was 4.2 sec. He did tie a WR in the 60 meter dash. When you are one of the fastest men in the world, nobody is going to catch you from behind in college football.

Also, Bud Magrum and Herb Orvis were as tough as they come. Both had been in the military and were a little older and more mature than the typical player. Bud was a Marine and Herb was in the Army. Both were great guys. Unfortunately, Bud died in an auto accident some years ago.
I remember back in about '91, I went to a spring Alumni-game. You know, the ones where the Cones would fashion "cone-heads" out of athletic tape to the top of their helmuts? Anyway, two things impressed me as a young 17 year old then: (1) Phil Irwin was still trying to play middle linebacker and didn't get injured; and (2) Cliff Branch was playing and was still the fastest guys on the field!

I was a TA in a class in 98 and some girls who were friends with Weisinger spent a lot of recitations talking (often loudly) about how he wasn't happy in Boulder. I used to see him eating alone at the short-lived Taco Cabana on 28th. Taco Cabana is a big fast food mexican chain in the southwest, never really caught on in Boulder. it's actually not bad and for the money, you do alright. nothing wrong with eating by yourself, but kinda strange for 18 year old "heir apparent" qb's on a college campus.

i remember a Spring game where Rick put the QB's names on the scoreboard and for Jeremy's name he put "Freshman". i heard, round the way, Jeremy didn't love that.

Last edited:

Agreed - I think it will be Ballenger that leaves. I can't imagine a scenario, other than injuries to everyone else occuring, in which Ballenger sees the field. I think he had his shot last year and missed it, and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to come out of nowhere vastly improved this Spring.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll lose any one, especially Ballenger. Granted this was last fall, but I have talked to Matt's dad a few times tailgating and he says that Matt loves Boulder and CU football. I didn't directly ask him about transferring, but I just don't get the feeling that he's going anywhere.

For what it's worth, I don't we'll lose any one, especially Ballenger. Granted this was last fall, but I have talked to Matt's dad a few times tailgating and he says that Matt loves Boulder and CU football. I didn't directly ask him about transferring, but I just don't get the feeling that he's going anywhere.

I agree. I don't think Matt thinks he will ever go to the NFL. If he starts at QB great, and if not I think he's probably happy getting a free education in a great town at a great school. Just my opinion. I could be totally wrong.

aTm in 1997....he got his front teeth knocked out:cool:

The guy who hit Jeremy said, "We own you, dude".

Jeremy is a great guy, but he sometimes struggled to differentiate between literal and figurative statements. He transferred to aTm shortly thereafter.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll lose any one, especially Ballenger. Granted this was last fall, but I have talked to Matt's dad a few times tailgating and he says that Matt loves Boulder and CU football. I didn't directly ask him about transferring, but I just don't get the feeling that he's going anywhere.

I don't think Ballenger would leave either. Just secondhand buzz, but I hear he works hard and may still get a shot at QB this year. Heck, all of them have a shot, why not Ballenger?

The guy who hit Jeremy said, "We own you, dude".

Jeremy is a great guy, but he sometimes struggled to differentiate between literal and figurative statements. He transferred to aTm shortly thereafter.

And sat out two years, or did new-Weasel waive the two year in conference transfer?

Back