What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rank B12 locations in order of where you would want to attend a CU game

KC and Orlando are 2 of the worst airport designs in the country. So we've got that going for us.
I will say that KC remodeled their airport end of last year/early this year.

But because it's KC, they probably just somehow found a way to make it even ****ing worse than it already was.

I hope that airport burns to the ground.

i was once in a security line at Orlando (they weren't doing pre-check or clear or anything expedited), that using the proven shuttle method, my colleagues and i were able get smashed and totally sober up before making through the checkpoint.

that is a bad airport. there are lots of bad airports.

But because it's KC, they probably just somehow found a way to make it even ****ing worse than it already was.

It’s not. They did a nice job.

i may have to organize guided tours for those from the bubble so that they have a more curated experience through the truck stop 12.

"and now, we will hear from our anthropologist, dr. bob, as we watch the locals interact at the 7/11. that beverage they are consuming from a can is called "beer" and it is very tribal."

"now look over to that group of young people standing around in a parking lot and sitting on pickup tailgates. that is a very important aspect of the social order here and leads to both mating and fighting."

"oh look everyone, we are so lucky! this is a rare sighting! back there in the alley. be very quiet not to disturb the mating process as they trade weed and meth for sex."

i may have to organize guided tours for those from the bubble so that they have a more curated experience through the truck stop 12.

"and now, we will hear from our anthropologist, dr. bob, as we watch the locals interact at the 7/11. that beverage they are consuming from a can is called "beer" and it is very tribal."

"now look over to that group of young people standing around in a parking lot and sitting on pickup tailgates. that is a very important aspect of the social order here and leads to both mating and fighting."

"oh look everyone, we are so lucky! this is a rare sighting! back there in the alley. be very quiet not to disturb the mating process as they trade weed and meth for sex."
Did the anthropologist do his understudy in Portland, San Francisco, and LA before moving to the truck stop 12, or is it the other way around.

Did the anthropologist do his understudy in Portland, San Francisco, and LA before moving to the truck stop 12, or is it the other way around.

"do not be alarmed everyone. stay still and quiet. it is quite normal for the natives to wave firearms around while drinking beer. they are simply establishing dominance and it usually doesn't lead to violence."

If you’ve never been to Morgantown, you’ll be disappointed.
Yeah, I don't get the love I'm seeing from some quarters.

Think of a dying industrial town in mountains that probably were once glorious but have been rode hard and put away wet for 5 million years.

The average person you see on the street makes the nubs seem well educated. There are less of them, as whatever substances they abuse don't have the same calorie load as runzas and budweizer. OTOH, they lack the pretentiousness and delusions of grandeur of the nubs, so it's definitely an improvement over Stincoln.

What are you talking about? I flew there within the last 10 years and it was sweet--like a greyhound station in a midwestern city. Just walk a few feet outside and grab a car.

Also, my kid just flew back to SF from JFK and, holy ****, is Alaska the way to fly into and out of that airport. While I weaved around the traffic jam trying to get the Terminal 4, I arrived at Terminal 7 and it was like he was leaving from Grand Juction--not a car or traffic cop in sight. Positively civilized.

New-York-JFK-Terminal-7-04.jpg

What are you talking about? I flew there within the last 10 years and it was sweet--like a greyhound station in a midwestern city. Just walk a few feet outside and grab a car.
Yeah, if you're flying in there it's fine. If you're trying to leave, it's a hellhole (or was apparently). Security outside every gate, so yay, but once you're in there's no food or anything. So if you're delayed - which I was almost every time I flew through that ****hole - you're screwed. But hey, there's a water fountain by the bathrooms that hasn't worked in 3 years, so at least you have that.

Burn it to the mother****ing ground.

Yeah, I don't get the love I'm seeing from some quarters.

Think of a dying industrial town in mountains that probably were once glorious but have been rode hard and put away wet for 5 million years.

The average person you see on the street makes the nubs seem well educated. There are less of them, as whatever substances they abuse don't have the same calorie load as runzas and budweizer. OTOH, they lack the pretentiousness and delusions of grandeur of the nubs, so it's definitely an improvement over Stincoln.

JFC skibum. If you're gonna poke fun at idots, learn when to use "fewer" correctly.

You forgot to include the Big Texan in Amarillo for the Tech trip. Just be sure to have a night reserved at the hotel after downing a 72 oz steak along with other food in under a hour to avoid being charged $100 for it. I have no idea how comfy those toliet seats are in those hotel though.
That seems like it would be right up @Big Jim's alley. Might get my vote as the allbuffer most likely to try that food challenge. I think we all remember what happened to the producer of Bourdain's he had do that. Having been to the Big Texan a lot though.......its a solid trip.

I've seen CU play or been to games in about half these cities already-
Baylor-meh. I have friends who are BU alums, but they all live in DFW now. Good news for all you married people like @Hank-I'm sure there's loads of fixer upper stuff in Wacko now. Rebecca would love it. Will probably make another trip down there, but its low priority.
Tech-Haven't seen CU down there, but I went down there once in college. Spent a ton of time in Amarillo/Lubbock because its close enough to a halfway point as well. Games down there are fun. Total party atmosphere. The tortilla throwing is a lot of fun.
ISU-I was at the game with the Tornado delay......2005 IIRC? Cyclone fans are really nice, and they know how to tailgate. Weird weather though.
KSU-That felt like a rivalry to at least me for a while in the late 90s and early 2000s. Bill Snyder (for as much fun as we had at his expense) probably worked the greatest coaching job in the history of the sport. There isn't much to Manhattan, but they're a good fanbase. Tailgated with some of their fans, and they gave us a recommendation on a great steakhouse when I was out there. I'd do this trip again first chance I got, and that's a game I'd watch for the Big 12 to try and play up. There's history there that is different than Utah-which the Pac 12 tried to play up. I think @DBT was the only one who remembered the last time CU and Utah played pre-2011. I don't know about you guys-but I remember a lot of those games with them.
OSU-Weird stadium. Faces east-west. Eskimo Joe's is cool, but there's not much in Stillwater.
WV-Almost forgot this one. Its really pretty out there, but **** I think the buddy and I who went to that Thursday night game in I think 2009 with them went to the game and then basically drank the whole weekend. Morgantown's a bitch to get to.

Last edited:
Tier 1 (which are the ones I might actually visit)

BYU- Its the closest drive and adjacent to some very cool stuff. I would only visit as part of a larger vacation (ala hokie in another thread). Hit the San Rafel Swell on my way out then take the slow road up through the southern Wasatch. Stay in Sundance and visit Timpanogos Cave, fish on the Provo River. Take US 40 back and see Dinosaur NM or possibly the Unita Mtns. Stay in Steamboat. Head home.

Houston- One big qualifier, it must be an October or November game. No way I ever go back to that city during the heat. Friends just bought a beach house in Galveston and are spending the winters there. Plan is fly in go directly to beach house, stay at beach house, drive up for game and head back to beach house, fly home. This is actually the most likely road game for me as we are already planning an annual surf trip down there in the fall.

WVU- Wild wonderful West Virginia is awesome but Morgantown does not excite me. However the whitewater within a 2 hour drive is spectacular. The Cheat and Yough are renowned and places I haven't boated and super close. Then you have the Gauley and New which are world class.

Tier 2- Everything else I will never go to. With the slim possibility of Lawrence due to some family in KC.

I'd like to visit all of them as I like to travel. Although PAC12 cities are waaaaayyyyy cooler, the game day experience in the Big 12 will be waaaaaayyyyy better.

In tiers (or tears) for me....

Tier 1
Morgantown (WV is pretty...or used to be before all the mountain tops were leveled)
Orlando (lots to do...I Drive is a blast)
Provo (mountains are pretty...and I'm guessing lots of hot Mormons on Grindr :) )
Houston (lots to do...beach?)
Manhattan-lots of great museums, food, Statue of Liberty...oh wait...wrong one :)

Tier 2
The rest

One thing that surprised me so far in this move is how insanely annoying Utah fans are. Hell I never paid them much attention but what delusion bunch of morons they are.
One thing that has not surprised me is how big of Tools Oregon and their coaches are. That school seems to only hire Tools, all its fans are tools. They ought to be sponsored by Home Depot and not Nike.

I'd like to visit all of them as I like to travel. Although PAC12 cities are waaaaayyyyy cooler, the game day experience in the Big 12 will be waaaaaayyyyy better.

In tiers (or tears) for me....

Tier 1
Morgantown (WV is pretty...or used to be before all the mountain tops were leveled)
Orlando (lots to do...I Drive is a blast)
Provo (mountains are pretty...and I'm guessing lots of hot Mormons on Grindr :) )
Houston (lots to do...beach?)
Manhattan-lots of great museums, food, Statue of Liberty...oh wait...wrong one :)

Tier 2
The rest
If repressed mormon men are as freaky as the women it could be a wild trip

One thing that surprised me so far in this move is how insanely annoying Utah fans are. Hell I never paid them much attention but what delusion bunch of morons they are.
One thing that has not surprised me is how big of Tools Oregon and their coaches are. That school seems to only hire Tools, all its fans are tools. They ought to be sponsored by Home Depot and not Nike.
Wait until you start interacting with BYU fans, they will instantly be labeled “worst in the Big12”.

This thread is pretty depressing. The more I see our options (as I'm becoming more aware of who our new conference-mates are), the less I want to travel for an away game.

I acknowledge that the point of travel is to support the Buffs, and not necessarily about the destination itself. And a great gameday experience can occur in ****ty places.

But seriously, I have no desire to ever be in Cincinnati (again) or Stillwater (again) or Orlando (again) or Manhattan (again) or Waco (again). And you can usually find fun things to do or good food to eat in cities, but I don't hold particularly warm feelings for Dallas or Houston (I've visited both quite a bit). I'll quote Ryan Bingham on this one - "I put the pedal to the metal, 'cause Houston only gets me down."

I've visited Lawrence before, it was unexpectedly okay. I've driven through Morgantown and remain a little curious about exploring that town more. I have a several friends that went to WVU and each of them is amazingly cool.

Perhaps the two that stand out the most that I'd like to maybe visit, if I have to go to an away game in our suck-job new conference, are Tucson and Lubbock. I've heard good things about the gameday experience in Lubbock and I've never been in West Texas and I've somehow never been to Tuscon either. I am generally intrigued by the American Southwest.

Also, this song may have influenced my thinking:

Tier 1 (which are the ones I might actually visit)

BYU- Its the closest drive and adjacent to some very cool stuff. I would only visit as part of a larger vacation (ala hokie in another thread). Hit the San Rafel Swell on my way out then take the slow road up through the southern Wasatch. Stay in Sundance and visit Timpanogos Cave, fish on the Provo River. Take US 40 back and see Dinosaur NM or possibly the Unita Mtns. Stay in Steamboat. Head home.

Houston- One big qualifier, it must be an October or November game. No way I ever go back to that city during the heat. Friends just bought a beach house in Galveston and are spending the winters there. Plan is fly in go directly to beach house, stay at beach house, drive up for game and head back to beach house, fly home. This is actually the most likely road game for me as we are already planning an annual surf trip down there in the fall.

WVU- Wild wonderful West Virginia is awesome but Morgantown does not excite me. However the whitewater within a 2 hour drive is spectacular. The Cheat and Yough are renowned and places I haven't boated and super close. Then you have the Gauley and New which are world class.

Tier 2- Everything else I will never go to. With the slim possibility of Lawrence due to some family in KC.
If you're going to surf, go south. Beaches way better.

Harbor Freight Tools

JFC skibum. If you're gonna poke fun at idots, learn when to use "fewer" correctly.
"Less" is correct in this instance; read it again.

If I had meant that there are fewer of them, I would have used "fewer."

If you're going to surf, go south. Beaches way better.
if you are going to surf, don't bother with texas, florida, or anywhere other than CA.

seriously, unless you like bathtub warm later, 3 inch breaks, sewage, oil, toxic waste, and the risk of paralysis on the shallow hardscrabble floor.

if you are going to surf, don't bother with texas, florida, or anywhere other than CA.

seriously, unless you like bathtub warm later, 3 inch breaks, sewage, oil, toxic waste, and the risk of paralysis on the shallow hardscrabble floor.
Padre is a good place to learn how to do it. Once you do that, go to Pacific Mexico or Hawaii. Barbados (the atlantic side) is also excellent.....but I'm sure @Darth Snow fell off a board out there or something so he'll give me **** for this post.

Paper Submission:

Field Observations and Anthropological Conclusions- Game Day in Truck Stop 12 College Towns.

i am going to have a ****ing great time with this new conference.

steph curry teasing GIF by SB Nation

Back