What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting luncheon

Perhaps someone who is an actual booster or plans to attend the real recruiting luncheon might make a better pitch. Or a student.

I just popped Bohn an e-mail. We'll see how that goes, I'll keep you guys updated. Even if it came to fruition I'm not sure I would attend with the sh** economy and all...I mean who supports the Buffs these days:smile2::cool:

It's $30. It's not like you have to take out a loan to pay for it. Go to Wendy's once instead of a sit down restaurant and the $30 is paid for. Problem solved

This is funny you would say this after saying you can't make it anyway because of class conflicts on Thursdays. :lol:

This is the first year they are promoting the donation side of it (at least that I can recall). Half of it you can write off on your taxes, just like season tickets. I know it is not a lot but it makes a difference. The AD needs to drum up money any way it can. This is not supposed to be an event for the students, it is for Alumni and boosters, that is why it is in Denver.

Eat ****, buddy!! :smile2: I was there last year and still might go this year if my dad is willing to fork the money over, but I doubt it.

Man, they should have a less formal thing for the students. That would be pretty cool. Get people pumped up and remind them to attend the spring game. Have Hawk give a little talk, show the videos, etc. Have it prior to a home basketball game or something.

That, is a great idea!!

Last edited:
This is funny you would say this after saying you can't make it anyway because of class conflicts on Thursdays. :lol:
QUOTE]

I was talking about money. An extra $30 ain't that bad. Last I checked I'm paying around $10,000 a semester... Ya...attending class is pretty important

$75 for an hour and a half banquet style luncheon is expensive. I'm a student also, btw.

It's not just a luncheon, though.

There will be CU coaches there, past and present. There will be CU players there, past and present. There will be videos and commentary by the coaches about each of the new recruits.

All of those things have a value, too.

WOW Bohn gets back quickly. Here's his reply:

"Thank you for the note and suggestion. We will present your idea to the
marketing group working on the project. MB"

A very nice way of saying....:finger::finger:

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to pull off a dumbed down version of the Denver recruiting luncheon.

The player videos have already been cut.
Cut out the lunch (or find a sponser like Qdoba)
host it in a big lecture hall or possibly the events center in the evening.
Have Coach Hawk there, maybe a couple of other coaches, to shake hands

I think it's a pretty valuable idea and one that hopefully the AD explores.

Actually, it'd be pretty easy to pull off a dumbed down version of the Denver recruiting luncheon.

I agree. It would be relatively inexpensive and easy to do, especially if they could find someone to donate the food or provide it cheap.

The Events Center, Balch Fieldhouse, or Alferd Packer Grill would all be good places to hold such an event.

Honestly, with all of the effort that's being put into getting students involved in a constructive way, this would be a wonderful step in that direction.

CU catering would probably handle the food, and it would probably be really cheap. I would expect an event like this to cost no more than $10-$15.

It's not just a luncheon, though.

There will be CU coaches there, past and present. There will be CU players there, past and present. There will be videos and commentary by the coaches about each of the new recruits.

All of those things have a value, too.

Yeah, I was there last year and had a great time, but not $75 worth. Hopefully my dad sees it differently. :smile:

yeah, and I saw you stuffing dinner rolls in your bookbag like a good college student.

Bookbag? Hmmm.

Maybe at least we could get them to show the video before the spring game on the jumbotron?
Might get a few more folks in the stands...

I think you guys are overestimating the number of recruitniks out there.

A highlight reel of last season would interest more folks than a bunch of grainy, poor quality highschool vid highlights of players no one knows edited together. Some of those offensive linemen highlight vids might put people to sleep.

While I agree to an extent, a lot of the folks at the spring game are also into the recruiting stuff. Casual fans aren't going to Folsom on April 25 to wacth a scrimmage.

Thats the big question in my mind. How do we get the casual fan there? How do we get more people to buy into the fact that this is their team even if they aren't from here? They pay for it, it's their school.

How hard should it be to get people to come sit in a stadium on a sunny day and enjoy the festivities?

Thats the big question in my mind. How do we get the casual fan there? How do we get more people to buy into the fact that this is their team even if they aren't from here? They pay for it, it's their school.

How hard should it be to get people to come sit in a stadium on a sunny day and enjoy the festivities?

Free Beer? :smile2:

Casual fans aren't coming to a scrimmage. They'll come to a real game, provided the weather is nice and there's nothing else going on, but they're not coming to a scrimmage.

A highlight reel of last season would interest more folks than a bunch of grainy, poor quality highschool vid highlights of players no one knows edited together. Some of those offensive linemen highlight vids might put people to sleep.

True.

... but highlights ARE getting better.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlvCdvIC2AE&feature=PlayList&p=815617CC343EDCDE&playnext=1&index=4"]Grossnickle 2007 playoffs[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjF-7gEPLw"]Nick Kasa (bad hair day)[/ame] I wasn't even sure it was the same guy, but it says Broomfield.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIY-Y_p0v8U"]Parker Orms State championship - grainy but still awesome[/ame]

Man, they should have a less formal thing for the students. That would be pretty cool. Get people pumped up and remind them to attend the spring game. Have Hawk give a little talk, show the videos, etc. Have it prior to a home basketball game or something.

the student idea is a great idea. I did hear last year that coaches are allowed to talk about an incoming recruit after LOI day just ONE time though. That might be preventative. They should record it and make it available on the website for a charge and available free to students with a valid student ID.

The cost does give me pause. Most years we get a corporate table and sometimes 2 - the cost for that has risen to $850. Add downtown parking and you are pushing $100 per person.

As far as donating, I feel I give plenty already. I am also hearing rumors of increase in ticket prices....

I have a feeling this year is going to be a financial challenge for the CUAD. It is shaping up like a perfect storm - Basketball (both mens and womens) will bring in almost no revenue, the Big 12 conference payout might be down with the B12 being weaker, only 6 games in the FB season ticket package instead of 7, attendance down for football, coupled with a weak economy the AD may be stuck trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

the student idea is a great idea. I did hear last year that coaches are allowed to talk about an incoming recruit after LOI day just ONE time though. That might be preventative. They should record it and make it available on the website for a charge and available free to students with a valid student ID.

I don't think that is accurate. They give their presentation at the recruiting luncheon, and then basically give the same presentation all over again later that night at the Smoker at the CC Country Club, so they do it at least twice.

I can tell you that these guys are pretty gassed by the end of the day. I remember a couple of years ago Greg Brown sat at my table at the recruiting luncheon and I asked him if he would be at the smoker that night. He said that they had been scrambling for several weeks straight and that they were pretty beat and that Hawk was going to give them that night to go home to their families. However, they were all there that night at the smoker anyway. I asked Brown what happened, and he told me that "the plan had changed". These guys definitely want to decompress for a bit after the recruiting period.

The cost does give me pause. Most years we get a corporate table and sometimes 2 - the cost for that has risen to $850. Add downtown parking and you are pushing $100 per person.

As far as donating, I feel I give plenty already. I am also hearing rumors of increase in ticket prices....

I have a feeling this year is going to be a financial challenge for the CUAD. It is shaping up like a perfect storm - Basketball (both mens and womens) will bring in almost no revenue, the Big 12 conference payout might be down with the B12 being weaker, only 6 games in the FB season ticket package instead of 7, attendance down for football, coupled with a weak economy the AD may be stuck trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Good points, all. I suppose there's a little less money (conference shares) since only 7 teams made it to bowl games. Looks like it'll be a challenging year, funds-wise.

I think they heard a lot of complaints about the luncheon. Here is the e-mail I received from the Buff Club today. (if already posted, apologies) They are really trying to justify the cost:

2009 Football Preview Luncheon Costs

2009 Football Preview Luncheon

As one football season ends, another one is just around the corner. We are excited to be hosting the 2009 Football Preview Luncheon to kick-off the season with the announcement of our newly signed recruits! We hope you will be able to join us for this great event to hear from Coach Hawkins and discover what the upcoming season has in store for the Buffs.
Some individuals have asked about the increased cost of this year’s Preview Luncheon and we’d like to take this opportunity to address that concern. Yes, the cost of the luncheon has been raised from previous years. While this event is to show off CU’s young and incoming talent, it is also an opportunity for the department to raise funds for certain areas of need. This year we have elected to apply all revenue (in excess of expenses) to CU Athletics for services provided for student support services, academic support and enhancements in the Herbst Academic Center located in the Dal Ward Athletic Center.
Each of the past two years CU Athletics has been able to inspire numerous individuals to make contributions toward different athletics projects. In 2007 it was to offset recruiting expenses and in 2008 it was to upgrade the computers and hardware in the computer lab used by our CU Student Athletes. In two years nearly $250,000 has been raised to assist CU Athletics.
During each of the past preview luncheons we have had numerous individuals tell us that they would participate in donating something if the amounts were not $5,000, $2,500 or $1,000. Buff Fans believe we need additional support; however some people feel left out because they cannot donate a gift of the previously mentioned levels. The 2009 Preview Luncheon price for admission was set with these factors in mind. A chance to engage affluent donors who can make significant gifts and want to support a “special initiative” and donors who would like to be involved with the project but at a much lower gift level.
This year’s cost of $75 admission to the preview luncheon is certainly higher than in the past. This is due to the above reasons but also due to the costs associated with producing the luncheon, i.e. Food and Audio Visual expenses have increased. The cost of admission includes a small gift portion of $35 which will go to support the Student Athlete Academic Services within the Herbst Academic Center as well as support for student services.
We hope each of you will be able to join us on February 5th at the Denver Marriott City Center and support your CU Buffs!

Good points, all. I suppose there's a little less money (conference shares) since only 7 teams made it to bowl games. Looks like it'll be a challenging year, funds-wise.

I was really talking about the Basketball payout. The football payout will be good since the B12 had 2 teams in BCS games and one of those was in the MNC game. The BB payout is pretty complex, the deeper that teams go into the tourney the bigger the payout. KU going all the way last year put money into CUs coffers.

Back