What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

Before we claim that our passing game is our strength, I'd really like to see how our new WR's look. Granted, they look great in photos, in shells (according to reports) and are physically better. We are deeper, have more competition, etc. But I'd slow the drumroll until we see what emerges and how they look. The unit this past spring was nothing but awful, consistent with last fall (minus Spruce).
I don't have a problem with our WR squad, I question the ability/willingness of the QB to hit that quick pass over the middle.

Andre Simmons, The Williams guy from Texas that Kennedy brought in, etc. We have a long history of assuming our problems are solved in August, not to mention we've not hit pads yet!

We brought in two Juco WRs for a reason. That should answer the fear question in bold above.

Winfree didn't prove much at Maryland. He had 12 catches or so, iirc. He was third on his Juco team last year in every statistical category at WR.
Ross has flashed, both for our team and against our team. If he doesn't fix the dropsy's, he won't be on the field come game 4.
Bobo has not flashed.
MacIntyre has yet to show anything against a P5 defense. (And I like Jay, but he's not a difference maker).
Huntley is TBD. He looks like a physical specimen.
Shay Fields would not have seen PT at many of our division rivals. He's a solid WR, but he's not being mentioned for all conference anything.

I'm NOT saying that Huntley or Winfree aren't going to be the answers we NEED. I'm optimistic they will be in fact. But that question hasn't even begun to be answered.
But you can acknowledge we are seemingly is far better shape there than we are at say, OL and LB, right? It is not something we should be overly concerned about.

@buffaholic what you say about fields is just flat out false. I am sorry. Sure he hasn't gotten all conference honors, because he has been playing in the shadow of Spruce. However in 2016, he had as many TD's as Spruce and a higher yd/att. He had half the receptions and more than half the yardage of Spruce. All of this while playing the 2nd half of the season with a bum ankle, a QB with a bum shoulder/back up QB's.

Shay is a very very good receiver.

I will agree that the rest is potential. I have a lot more faith in that potential than you do and that's fine. On paper this is the deepest WR corp we have had in years and should be one of the areas of strength for our team. They need to go prove that, but that can be said for every position group on every team in the nation.

I can only go by what I observe. Winfree and Huntley easily pass the eyeball test. Then, the way they move and catch the ball just looks different and better than what we've had around here. On top of that, they are hard ass workers who run every route at full speed.

Compare that to a guy like Keeney. It's easy to see the matchup nightmare he is with his height/speed combo. He also makes some grabs that are pretty sick. But he is inconsistent right now. With someone like that, I acknowledge that I'm going on hope and potential. But that's different than Winfree & Huntley. Those guys simply have it.

I can only go by what I observe. Winfree and Huntley easily pass the eyeball test. Then, the way they move and catch the ball just looks different and better than what we've had around here.

Two words: Marquis Simas

Simas easily passed the eyeball test. He moved, caught the ball, and just looked different and better than what we saw at CU since Javon Green. Simas, the short time he actually got on the field, was the best WR at CU bar none. But Simas had issues that kept him off the field. I'm not saying that Winfree or Huntley are the next Simas, just using the comparison as a cautionary tale. I like what I see in them so far, but I'll believe it when I see it at game time.

Two words: Marquis Simas

Simas easily passed the eyeball test. He moved, caught the ball, and just looked different and better than what we saw at CU since Javon Green. Simas, the short time he actually got on the field, was the best WR at CU bar none. But Simas had issues that kept him off the field. I'm not saying that Winfree or Huntley are the next Simas, just using the comparison as a cautionary tale. I like what I see in them so far, but I'll believe it when I see it at game time.

For sure. You never really know if someone is going to piss away the opportunity. Simas had greatness at his fingertips. Could have set himself to be a millionaire. Some guys you just can't reach. (In the Simas case, CU had the wrong coach and AD support structure for that kind of guy, too, but that's another discussion.)

But, yeah. We won't know for sure until we see how these guys react to failure or success or the temptations of college life. Assuming they have that side of things together, I am very confident from what I have seen that they will be excellent players.

Andre Simmons, The Williams guy from Texas that Kennedy brought in, etc. We have a long history of assuming our problems are solved in August, not to mention we've not hit pads yet!

We brought in two Juco WRs for a reason. That should answer the fear question in bold above.

Winfree didn't prove much at Maryland. He had 12 catches or so, iirc. He was third on his Juco team last year in every statistical category at WR.
Ross has flashed, both for our team and against our team. If he doesn't fix the dropsy's, he won't be on the field come game 4.
Bobo has not flashed.
MacIntyre has yet to show anything against a P5 defense. (And I like Jay, but he's not a difference maker).
Huntley is TBD. He looks like a physical specimen.
Shay Fields would not have seen PT at many of our division rivals. He's a solid WR, but he's not being mentioned for all conference anything.

I'm NOT saying that Huntley or Winfree aren't going to be the answers we NEED. I'm optimistic they will be in fact. But that question hasn't even begun to be answered.
Just so much wrong here. I feel like you're letting 10 years of being beat down by losses make you overly pessimistic.

But you can acknowledge we are seemingly is far better shape there than we are at say, OL and LB, right? It is not something we should be overly concerned about.
I think we are in better shape, but I think it's still an open question mark until answered.
I am exactly as concerned there as I am at OL, and in general, depth at all positions.

Just so much wrong here. I feel like you're letting 10 years of being beat down by losses make you overly pessimistic.
No - I'm quite optimistic. Just stating that we can't say things like "our passing game is our strength" when it was clearly our weakness and we've yet to see anyone do anything to change that (yet). Just got to see it happen because our WR core has been awful for 10 years.

No - I'm quite optimistic. Just stating that we can't say things like "our passing game is our strength" when it was clearly our weakness and we've yet to see anyone do anything to change that (yet). Just got to see it happen because our WR core has been awful for 10 years.
Well, you bash Winfree, but he had 55 catches for over 800 yards last year. Pretty damn good numbers.
Shay Fields would have been at worst the starting slot guy and put up great numbers even at USC, yet you still continue to try and make your point even after others have pointed out how wrong it is.
I agree on Bobo. Not impressed with his speed. Hasn't ever really shown anything.
Ross has great speed, bad hands that are supposedly improving.
Jay Mac has yet to show anything because he barely got thrown to. Decent speed. Some shake.
Huntley will be big time for us. Let me put it this way. We are all in agreement we have some serious players in the secondary. Therefore, if we've got guys making plays against those dudes, stands to reason they're legit too.

@Medford M. - I have yet to see proof I'm wrong on any of these points.

Our DBs have done it against P5 competition. Most of the guys you've mentioned at WR haven't, including Shay to some extent, as most of his production came early last year.

My view of Winfree is that most people assert he was POY as a true frosh, but the reality is, he had a few catches. He had a good Juco year, but he played on a team that was very successful offensively. Being 3rd on his team in Receiving, does not suggest he will be 3rd in the Pac12 this year. Might he be our best WR, and a big improvement? I think he might. I'm optimistic. But I'm not ready to anoit him the Great One because he looked great in shorts.

This is a message board, we are allowed to disagree. And in the end, I actually project we will be much better if not down right good at WR this year. Just saying, there's nothing so far, but chiseled muscles to prove that. Guys get overly-excited every camp before live bullets fly. And frankly, I'm 100% correct about that.

Actually, this is what is "so much wrong", because we as fans should be willing to let guys prove it before they become heroes. Take Huntley for instance. You say this guy will be big time for us. What if he can't catch when he hears the safety coming?

Everyone should just be optimistic, but let's not start throwing around phrases like "the passing game is our strength". When we couldn't get a pass off to save our lives last year.... Hopefully, Winfree, Huntley, Julmiss and Ento raise the whole level of guys like Ross, Walker, JayMac, etc and we find the 6-8 guys we need to be truly an asset.

CSU has a very good OL to go with good LBs and good RBs. QB is decent. The holes elsewhere are glaring, though.
That's my thought too, with the majority of holes being on the defensive line and secondary. CSU is going to have to run the ball well and have time of possession on their side, if only just to keep their very vulnerable defense off the field, in order to keep this a competitive game. My prediction is CU up by a few going into halftime and then steadily pulling away. All the while I maintain hope of a comeback until 5 minutes left in the 4th and a 14+ point deficit. Ugh.

Shay Fields has proven to be a legit P5 receiver. Not sure why his name is being brought up. His production proves it. It's easy to have question marks with the rest of the WR core, though. I tend to think this is probably the best WR core CU has had in a while though, based off of what we know.

We should really be more concerned with our Oline and LB core.

Big difference now is that in addition to a well proven guy in Fields, and yes he would start for virtually every team in the PAC12, may not be their featured WR but he would start, is that we don't just have one or two guys we are hoping can live up to their expectations.

This group has a bunch of guys with solid or better expectations. Hunley and Winfree have much higher upsides coming in than we have had in recent years outside of Shay and Spruce. A number of the others project to be P5 level receivers.

Will all of them turn out, the odds say no. Likely more than one doesn't make a significant contribution to the program. It helps though that we don't have to put all our eggs in one basket. We have multiple guys who can and some will be impact players for us. They aren't all going to bust.

Big difference now is that in addition to a well proven guy in Fields, and yes he would start for virtually every team in the PAC12, may not be their featured WR but he would start, is that we don't just have one or two guys we are hoping can live up to their expectations.

This group has a bunch of guys with solid or better expectations. Hunley and Winfree have much higher upsides coming in than we have had in recent years outside of Shay and Spruce. A number of the others project to be P5 level receivers.

Will all of them turn out, the odds say no. Likely more than one doesn't make a significant contribution to the program. It helps though that we don't have to put all our eggs in one basket. We have multiple guys who can and some will be impact players for us. They aren't all going to bust.
Yep. Not hard to see the skill with a few of these guys and be at least a little excited about it. We will find out soon enough though.

Two CSU fans followed me on Twitter so I followed them back and they constantly retweet CSU stuff and ruin my timeline.

Just gotta say that I'm finally seeing night and day differences between our team.
whoa.png
I know it's just pictures, but we look much bigger and like an actual P5 team compared to them.
whoa.png
Not that that's the only thing that matters or that we shouldn't take them seriously.

Is it my imagination or are we getting sandbagged, here? Everything we are getting out of Ft fun is about how utterly average they are. We get practice clips with no sound. Are they trying to set us up?

Is it my imagination or are we getting sandbagged, here? Everything we are getting out of Ft fun is about how utterly average they are. We get practice clips with no sound. Are they trying to set us up?
Has to be. My Jr. High School team looked better. That was absurd.

Yep, big time.

If I'm a coach, I'm showing the team clips of that embarrassing loss plus clips of their back hills fans dancing on the mid field logo at Folsom.

"This is the attitude you're gonna face. And this is the result if you're not ready."

This reminds me of those old Al Qaeda clips of guys climbing on monkey bars. Doesn't exactly strike fear in our hearts.

9h3f4E.gif
"Ten ****ing seconds!!! It should take you no longer than ten ****ing seconds! None of you swinging dick privates are going to leave my island unless you can negotiate this obstacle in less than ten ****ing seconds!"

Back