What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown - News & Updates

I think that Big 12 expansion will actually destabilize the conference. And this move allows Houston to grow its program as an interim step before the Pac-12 picks and chooses the teams it wants.

Probably not out of the realm of possibility. The more diluted UT's stranglehold on that conference becomes, the more unstable that conference becomes.

I think the team is fired up. For as much as the older fans and even myself included doesn't like that CSU is a rival, Mac 2 is finally treating it like a rivalry game. For example, they were watching film of the game and Mac was getting on guys that got destroyed by a CSU guy. He was saying stuff like you are really getting destroyed by a player that is not even in a P5 conference. You are better than these guys and they outplayed you. He is basically trying to get the players to hate CSU as much as they hate us and I think the guys are fired up. And they believe. Not to give CSU any bulletin board material, but the guys believe if they play the way they are capable the game will be over by half time. Last year, even though it turned out okay I felt a bit of some nervousness. The Hawaii game really killed the confidence. Let's hope that doesn't happen again because it is a confident bunch where Friday night cannot come soon enough.
979.gif

Guys need to hear that and respond.

Both teams have big question marks are WR.

If CSU can replace the four they lost, tbey will have balance and thus score points.

Can CU improve the WR unit that has struggled to get open? I'm confident that the pass pro will be improved and even acceptable. Remain worried about the athletes we have at WR. Hoping Chev is the difference!

Holic with that wr refrain again. Needed doing. Hint: shay will get open

Also, I think it's kind of funny that there is the perception that a program like CSU simply reloads. It doesn't. They had an NFL quality QB, some NFL quality OLs, an NFL quality WR, an NFL quality LB and some other really good players on its roster the past few years. A program like CSU does not simply move a younger guy up the depth chart and replace those types of players.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that there is the perception that a program like CSU simply reloads. It doesn't. They had an NFL quality QB, some NFL quality OLs, an NFL quality WR, an NFL quality LB and some other really good players on its roster the past few years. A program like CSU does not simply move a younger guy up the depth chart and replace those types of players.
Funny you say that, because they are bitching about that perception right now on Goatnation.

Holic made it sound like I was stupid when I suggested Hansley would get a look in the NFL last season so I think his WR evaluation skills, despite watching them with a "close eye" may be low.

Seeing some serious directional swings of the goal posts from Rams fans on Twitter.

All summer it was "watch out Buffs, when we get to the big12 you will be irrelevant." Now it's, "lol at how much the #fluffs fans care about CSUtobig12." :D

Also starting to see them acknowledge that we should take the game on Friday. Sounds like Bobo isn't displaying a ton of faith lol. They've been welcomed to Earth.

Seeing some serious directional swings of the goal posts from Rams fans on Twitter.

All summer it was "watch out Buffs, when we get to the big12 you will be irrelevant." Now it's, "lol at how much the #fluffs fans care about CSUtobig12." :D

Also starting to see them acknowledge that we should take the game on Friday. Sounds like Bobo isn't displaying a ton of faith lol. They've been welcomed to Earth.

Bobo has been sandbagging, hard.

Bobo has been sandbagging, hard.
For sure. But I think at some point, you'd start questioning it as a fan and that's what they're doing.

There's a fine line between sandbagging and setting up a defensive bunker in case the game goes the way he might be expecting it to. It's gone from, "last year, CU lucked out that we had a freshman kicker," to "well CU has a ton of experience, watch how bad we win next year when their experience graduates!"

Why is this the narrative from Buff fans? Why isn't the narrative that he knows they don't have the talent or experience to match up this year and he is simply preparing people for a loss, without actually saying it.

Because CSU almost always does this? "we don't belong on the same field as them" "they are p5, its going to be a tough game" blah blah blah. Mix in the reports of them having players with walking boots during open periods but seeing them walking around campus without any boot or cruches or anything.

For sure. But I think at some point, you'd start questioning it as a fan and that's what they're doing.

There's a fine line between sandbagging and setting up a defensive bunker in case the game goes the way he might be expecting it to. It's gone from, "last year, CU lucked out that we had a freshman kicker," to "well CU has a ton of experience, watch how bad we win next year when their experience graduates!"

I liked how MacIntyre built the case in the presser that CSU is actually the more veteran team in the game. Just as many upperclassmen starting and 2 fewer freshmen in their 2-deep. Great spin by him.

I don't care if Bobo is sandbagging or not. Make this a business trip with a little statement, know your place little bro. Let's whip their ass and come home, then we are we done with them till next year.

Bobo was funny on the radio this morning. He was joking about not making his QB situation public. The radio guys asked "If you were playing anyone else but CU, would you have named your starter" He laughed and said "Yes". He then went on to admit it mostly a ploy to make the CU guys watch a little more film, and he didn't expect his gamesmanship to really have any impact.

He then started joking about how he was going to come out in the Wildcat or in the Wishbone with their option QB.

I thought it was all pretty funny. Bobo is a much more likable guy then McElwain was. He isn't as good of a coach, but he is likable.

Because CSU almost always does this? "we don't belong on the same field as them" "they are p5, its going to be a tough game" blah blah blah. Mix in the reports of them having players with walking boots during open periods but seeing them walking around campus without any boot or cruches or anything.
I don't think I've ever heard a CSU coach say, "we don't belong on the same field as them". Maybe the cliche, "it's going to be a tough game", but that's not sandbagging. I guess it doesn't really matter and maybe he is "sandbagging" in an attempt to gain any mental advantage over CU possible, but I just choose to believe he is just building in excuses because he knows they don't match up.

He is definitely sandbagging. We see this all of the time from a CSU coach. He is trying to gain any type of advantage he can get.

I do believe it works both ways though. I am sure in his mind he knows he doesn't have a very good team (at least early in the season) and I am sure that excuse will help after the game, if they get dominated. Sonny did this. Fairchild did this. It has worked for them in the past.

Yep. I think we CU go deep early and often, at least I would. Need to hit on a few of these to open everything else up early.

I suspect they will blow some coverages as they've done like 3 years in a row. Lot of new guys in the DB area.

Why is this the narrative from Buff fans? Why isn't the narrative that he knows they don't have the talent or experience to match up this year and he is simply preparing people for a loss, without actually saying it.

Have you watched the Colorado Buffaloes football team play a game at any point during the last decade? Where the hell is all of your confidence coming from?

Have you watched the Colorado Buffaloes football team play a game at any point during the last decade? Where the hell is all of your confidence coming from?
I have confidence in this game for a lot of reasons, but mostly because CSU lost 9/11 starters on defense, their two legit playmaking WRs on offense, and has a mediocre QB. On the CU side, we didn't lose much in the way of impact starters (Spruce, Crawley and Nembot, but none are irreplaceable, IMO), we have a more experienced team with a 4th year Senior QB (some people debate whether this is a good thing or not, but I believe Sefo plays well this year), we have our best DL back (Tupou), get our best LB back (Gillam), and have one of the best and most experienced secondaries in the Pac 12. CSU is also breaking in a new defensive coordinator and a new scheme that isn't going to transition without some hiccups in week one, while CU's defense is now in year two of Jim Leavitt's system and should be more comfortable than in year one.

The only advantage I see CSU potentially having is on the OL, but with Tupou back and Samson clear of any suspension, along with Carrell a year advanced, I honestly don't know if CSU even holds the advantage there. On paper, this game shouldn't be close. I will acknowledge the rivalry factor that makes CSU play above their talent level, but as a fan, I have no problem being very confident. It's the coaches and players' jobs not to let the confidence turn into arrogance.

I suspect they will blow some coverages as they've done like 3 years in a row. Lot of new guys in the DB area.

They are breaking in two new CB starters, one of whom is a senior that has been a WR up to this offseason. They will also be breaking in two new starters at safety, one of whom is a converted corner from this offseason.

If CU's wideouts can't get open against these guys, it's going to be a VERY long year.

I have confidence in this game for a lot of reasons, but mostly because CSU lost 9/11 starters on defense, their two legit playmaking WRs on offense, and has a mediocre QB. On the CU side, we didn't lose much in the way of impact starters (Spruce, Crawley and Nembot, but none are irreplaceable, IMO), we have a more experienced team with a 4th year Senior QB (some people debate whether this is a good thing or not, but I believe Sefo plays well this year), we have our best DL back (Tupou), get our best LB back (Gillam), and have one of the best and most experienced secondaries in the Pac 12. CSU is also breaking in a new defensive coordinator and a new scheme that isn't going to transition without some hiccups in week one, while CU's defense is now in year two of Jim Leavitt's system and should be more comfortable than in year one.

The only advantage I see CSU potentially having is on the OL, but with Tupou back and Samson clear of any suspension, along with Carrell a year advanced, I honestly don't know if CSU even holds the advantage there. On paper, this game shouldn't be close. I will acknowledge the rivalry factor that makes CSU play above their talent level, but as a fan, I have no problem being very confident. It's the coaches and players' jobs not to let the confidence turn into arrogance.
The counter argument there of course is that CU returns a lot of players from a 4 win team, and lost our most effective offensive weapon (Spruce), so are we really better?

It still should be more than enough against CSU, but will be a question that probably won't be answered until we hit Michigan and the conference schedule.

Buffs just need to limit turnovers and big plays. We should be able to stuff the run putting more guys in the box if need be given their dearth of WRs. Our O should be able to put up at least 28 points on green CSU D and that should be plenty enough.

I've already predicted a CU win in the other thread. Things pretty much guaranteed to happen:
  • CSU will completely misplay, if not outright blow, coverage on 2-4 deep balls
  • CSU will commit at least 1 boneheaded turnover at the worst possible time or position on the field
I'm terrified of watching the CSU pass defense. Between uncertainty at Dline (will there be ANY pass rush?) and secondary, it could get ugly. However, CSU has a chance to make it competitive if they can run all over CU. I don't mean run a little here and there to set up the pass, but impose their will, be more physical, and be successful with the run even through everyone knows it's coming - a la 2014. That would be the great neutralizer and the run game is setting up to the be strength of the team. Not sure what expectations to have for the run game against CU.

I've already predicted a CU win in the other thread. Things pretty much guaranteed to happen:
  • CSU will completely misplay, if not outright blow, coverage on 2-4 deep balls
  • CSU will commit at least 1 boneheaded turnover at the worst possible time or position on the field
I'm terrified of watching the CSU pass defense. Between uncertainty at Dline (will there be ANY pass rush?) and secondary, it could get ugly. However, CSU has a chance to make it competitive if they can run all over CU. I don't mean run a little here and there to set up the pass, but impose their will, be more physical, and be successful with the run even through everyone knows it's coming - a la 2014. That would be the great neutralizer and the run game is setting up to the be strength of the team. Not sure what expectations to have for the run game against CU.

The D-Line should be a big strength of ours. Tupou is an NFL level talent and his return at NT should be huge. That being said it is all potential. Should be a great way to find out what CU has up front, because the CSU O-Line is legit.

Back