What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown Ticket Sales

Aside from a Bartolo-led sheep team winning in Boulder in 1985, this series didn't really become annoying until they moved it to Denver in the late 90's. Granted, the series has been close to even in the games played in Denver certainly brings out the worst in csu fans. Furthermore, this is just another example of a college game played in an NFL stadium having a lifeless and sterile atmosphere.

That game was in 1986. My Freshman year. I remember it all-too-well. It rained. I was freaking miserable.

As of noon Tuesday, Colorado had sold 29,097 tickets, including 5,302 student tickets, the slowest sales it has ever had for the Showdown. As of Tuesday, CSU had sold 18,700 tickets, 6,400 for students.

We aren't getting anywhere close to selling out student tix

Last edited:
We aren't getting anywhere close to selling out season tix

Denver is supposed to be the great alumni base for CSU. That is a part of their lame justification for having the game in Denver every year. Subtract their student ticket sales and they have sold a whopping 12,300 tickets in the middle of their great alumni base.:rofl:

This stupid game needs to die, sooner the better.

We aren't getting anywhere close to selling out student tix

The irritating part of that ticket info, is that we would be just about at capacity at Folsom. A sold out Folsom, with such a charged atmosphere would be a great opening weekend game. But at mile high its going to be half full with most people scattered across the upper deck..

I'll come out and say it. I root for both CU and CSU. It has gotten hard with the fan bases acting so ****ing dumb over a game that has no consequences outside of the two schools. I disagree with you that they have a good chance to win those games. Not only will they lose to BSU but also AFA and Utah State. Wyoming is a toss up and UNM sucks but they almost beat CSU last year with a worse team. I could see them going 0-5 a lot more easier that 4-1.

That would be a big IF for CSU if they can get off to a good start and that momentum carries over the rest of the season. But going 0-5 in the Mountain Division is possible for CSU as well.

As for the ticket sales, I believe the people have spoken and want the games on campus. Folsom Field's highest attendence was against CSU and I'm sure the highest attendence at CSU's new stadium will be a CU game.

That would be a big IF for CSU if they can get off to a good start and that momentum carries over the rest of the season. But going 0-5 in the Mountain Division is possible for CSU as well.

As for the ticket sales, I believe the people have spoken and want the games on campus. Folsom Field's highest attendance was against CSU and I'm sure the highest attendance at CSU's new stadium will be a CU game.

I remember the days of literally camping out for tickets to the is game as a student because they sold so quickly. Moving the game to the campuses would definitely help attendance. But the programs need more than 5 wins between them to actually get serious fan interest going again.

Yikes... if my math is correct, CU has ~8,000 left in their allotment and CSU has ~19,500 left in theirs... gonna be pretty empty.

I actually think there will be a fair number of walk-ups given the late kickoff time. Not nearly enough, however, to make up for the lagging ticket sales.

I remember the days of literally camping out for tickets to the is game as a student because they sold so quickly. Moving the game to the campuses would definitely help attendance. But the programs need more than 5 wins between them to actually get serious fan interest going again.
Or just stop playing this game since CSU fans aren't interested.

Under 48,000 tickets sold. Stubhub has over 500 tickets for sale, not to mention Craigslist and everything else. Neither university athletic department is selling many more tickets.

I will be amazed if there is 45,000 people there.

Every year the talk is of the ticket sales being saved by 'walk ups'

As for the ticket sales, I believe the people have spoken and want the games on campus. Folsom Field's highest attendence was against CSU and I'm sure the highest attendence at CSU's new stadium will be a CU game.

I want games on campus. Just not against CSU. The series needs a rest.

Under 48,000 tickets sold. Stubhub has over 500 tickets for sale, not to mention Craigslist and everything else. Neither university athletic department is selling many more tickets.

I will be amazed if there is 45,000 people there.

With the number of season ticket holders who aren't interested in this game we could easily see 15,000+ unused tickets. Both schools have a significant chunk of their season ticket base that goes to businesses and other organizations, lots of those people don't see an unused ticket as a personal cost.

How many offices of various types in Boulder, Longmont, Ft. Collins, Loveland, etc. are going to be asking on Friday "Who wants to drive to Denver on Sunday to see this game?" and not getting much response. How many people who have the tickets in hand are going to decide on the day of the game that the hassle isn't worth it and not go?

We may see a stadium that is actually over half empty. Under 40k actual fans in the stadium is possible.

I bet the camera only shows the bands and full sections to give the illusion that there are more than 200 blue shirts.

Interesting that the game netted over $1 million in revenue for each program when the games were sell-outs. That is nearly the same amount of money CU made with its one and done scheduling agreement with Ohio State in 2011.

This game has been and can be a money maker for the schools, but people aren't going to show when the product on the field is as bad as its been. With seven years left on the contract - the RMS needs to get back to those days as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Interesting that the game made over $1 million in revenue for each program when the games were sell-outs. That is nearly the same amount of money CU made with its one and done scheduling agreement with Ohio State in 2011.

This game has been and can be a money maker for the schools, but people aren't going to show when the product on the field is as bad as its been. With seven years left on the contract - the RMS needs to get back to those days as soon as possible.

Those days are never returning regardless of how good CU and CSU are. Sure, it might make a push back up a little, but the days of sell-outs in Denver will not occur ever again. It has run its course. Kill the series for now.

Those days are never returning regardless of how good CU and CSU are. Sure, it might make a push back up a little, but the days of sell-outs in Denver will not occur ever again. It has run its course. Kill the series for now.

that is part of it for sure the series just needs a break.

Well its not going anywhere for the better part of a decade. My hope is that both programs show some life and this game starts to attract over 60K again so both programs can make some money off of it.

It's not the game I hate, it's the venue. I can't stand that place. I can't stand the DPD and their gestapo inspired crowd control tactics.

It's not the game I hate, it's the venue. I can't stand that place. I can't stand the DPD and their gestapo inspired crowd control tactics.

Agreed. I never go to the stadium until just before kickoff. No way I am subjecting my wife to the crap that goes on in the parking lots. DPD just makes it worse.

[video=youtube;LsYJm9j2OEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsYJm9j2OEQ[/video]

I just do not feel the need to play CSU every season from now until eternity. It needs a rest. Sure, campus is a major upgrade. Not playing CSU for a decade is the best upgrade.

The raiduhs have it figured out.

photo_0_standard_709_0.jpg

Oh yeah, they should have played the game at Coors Field this year. More alcohol nearby in case things go bad.

Agreed. I never go to the stadium until just before kickoff. No way I am subjecting my wife to the crap that goes on in the parking lots. DPD just makes it worse.

the last couple years with both teams being bad the number of fights etc in the parking lot are way down...but I do agree that the dpd patrols the lot's just looking for a reason to brandish a club

Back