What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sandusky update (more evidence against Joe P)

Joe Schad

Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"

Would they effectively kill the program with say .... a 5 year Bowl ban?

Embree better have a look at the Penn State roster and see if there´s guys we can use.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little excited to hear the news on Monday. They better not let me down with something lame. NCAA bringing the hammer with 60+ vacated wins?

No way that statue comes down if Paterno is still alive (unless he was hypothetically convicted down the road).

My guess is something like: five year bowl ban, loss of scholarships over five years (including no scholarships for two years), no TV revenue for two years, and a heavy fine.

"corrective and punitive measures" likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning. But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.
The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable
Can't think of what would be worse than the death penalty unless its comparable to having the program shut down but very long lasting.

Can't think of what would be worse than the death penalty unless its comparable to having the program shut down but very long lasting.

Probably what it will be. Five years (full career for a class of recruits) of strong penalties as a starting point?

Paterno family says taking down the statues "doesn´t serve the victims".

This is unreal. They should just shut the **** up. I am guessing the family´s proposal would have been to cover it up for 14 years?

ESPN

It is expected the NCAA Division I Board of Directors and/or the NCAA Executive Committee has granted Emmert the authority to punish through non-traditional methods, the source told Schad.

The NCAA is taking unprecedented measures with the decision to penalize Penn State without the due process of a Committee on Infractions hearing.

Paterno family says taking down the statues "doesn´t serve the victims".

This is unreal. They should just shut the **** up. I am guessing the family´s proposal would have been to cover it up for 14 years?

ESPN

That actually may have been more appropriate, cover the statue in a black shroud and put up a plaque (with at least 4 inch letters) explaning that the person under the shroud covered up, and by doing so permitted the continued rape and abuse of vulnerable children. Further it should state that he did so with the knowledge of the upper administration of the university who permitted him to do so in violation of the law and any sense of decency.

The scholarship sanctions need to be extremely harsh. Otherwise, tough as a 5 year bowl ban is, it will still be business as usual in Happy Valley (see USC).

I wonder if they would consider making them play only their conference schedule and give up their OOC games as well as any bowl games.

Another sign that there are still plenty of people at Penn State that don't get it.

From Yahoo News:

Jackhammers rattled behind a metal fence covered by a blue tarp. The statue was tied to a forklift. The fence shielded the statue, covered in clear plastic and protective packaging materials. The statue was removed at 8:24 a.m. The forklift carried it into the stadium as about a dozen workers followed. A moment later, a man in the crowd started a "We are Penn State" chant. After it finished, another man yelled, "We love you, Joe."

These people certainly aren't likely to be the majority but for anyone who thinks that there still isn't a significant number of people who think PSU didn't do anything wrong the news keeps giving us evidence to the contrary.

Could be a TV ban. While that isn't unprecedented, it hasn't happened since the 80's so it would certainly be unprecedented in this day and age of every major college team being on TV every week. Or maybe they'll let them be on TV but they have to forfeit all TV revenue for a season or two, as BB suggested.

Another sign that there are still plenty of people at Penn State that don't get it.

From Yahoo News:

These people certainly aren't likely to be the majority but for anyone who thinks that there still isn't a significant number of people who think PSU didn't do anything wrong the news keeps giving us evidence to the contrary.

I didn't take it that way at all. these students have probably been through a lot these past few months. imagine going to CU and loving a place so much, then something terribly indefensible happens on a scale never seen before. PSU is more than just a football team and athletic department. I saw this as a "bringing each other closer" type chant. i didn't take it to mean they were supporting paterno or anything related to the sandusky saga. jmho.

I didn't take it that way at all. these students have probably been through a lot these past few months. imagine going to CU and loving a place so much, then something terribly indefensible happens on a scale never seen before. PSU is more than just a football team and athletic department. I saw this as a "bringing each other closer" type chant. i didn't take it to mean they were supporting paterno or anything related to the sandusky saga. jmho.

I could give you the benefit of a doubt until you get to the "We love you Joe." chant.

I can see loving a school and being loyal to it. I can see that this event should not define who Penn State and their students, faculty, and alums are. When it comes to defending JoePa. Then you lose that benefit of a doubt.

It doesn't surprise me at all that there is this level of support for JoePa. He was there a long time, did a ton of great things, and was a hero to a ton of people. If there was doubt, I would have personally been willing to give him the benefit of it. He earned that consideration, especially since he's not able to defend himself. What we have, though, are a good number of PSU fans trying to manufacture doubt when there shouldn't be. JoePa didn't want a public scandal over Sandusky and used his influence to try to get it handled quietly. That "handling" was only to distance PSU and the program from Sandusky, but not distance Sandusky from the kids -- so it's clear what the priorities were. The only area of doubt that I think is reasonable regarding JoePa is on the question of how much he knew and understood about what was going on. But even with that, it's a case where if he didn't know it's because he chose not to.

At this point, my feelings pretty much go like this:

Sandusky - pure hatred toward the man. This is the face of evil
PSU Administrators - anger mixed with a feeling that's hard to describe (ridicule for pathetic, cowardly people - is there a word for that?)
Paterno - mostly sadness that someone I'd put on a pedestal would enable this type of thing to continue happening to children (and quite a bit of anger mixed in with this -- he was supposed to be better than this and stood for ideals that were so much greater)

It doesn't surprise me at all that there is this level of support for JoePa. He was there a long time, did a ton of great things, and was a hero to a ton of people. If there was doubt, I would have personally been willing to give him the benefit of it. He earned that consideration, especially since he's not able to defend himself. What we have, though, are a good number of PSU fans trying to manufacture doubt when there shouldn't be. JoePa didn't want a public scandal over Sandusky and used his influence to try to get it handled quietly. That "handling" was only to distance PSU and the program from Sandusky, but not distance Sandusky from the kids -- so it's clear what the priorities were. The only area of doubt that I think is reasonable regarding JoePa is on the question of how much he knew and understood about what was going on. But even with that, it's a case where if he didn't know it's because he chose not to.

At this point, my feelings pretty much go like this:

Sandusky - pure hatred toward the man. This is the face of evil
PSU Administrators - anger mixed with a feeling that's hard to describe (ridicule for pathetic, cowardly people - is there a word for that?)
Paterno - mostly sadness that someone I'd put on a pedestal would enable this type of thing to continue happening to children (and quite a bit of anger mixed in with this -- he was supposed to be better than this and stood for ideals that were so much greater)

ymssr

Well written.

If this had been a less serious failing or an isolated incident the weight of Paterno's legacy would have buried it and it would be forgotten. The severity the crimes committed and the ongoing covering up allowing them to continue make that impossible. It is ironic that JoePa's primary motivation (based on the evidence we have) was to protect his legacy and the image of the program and in the end despite the decades of what he and the program did right his legacy and the legacy of these decades of the program will be this scandal above all else.

I could give you the benefit of a doubt until you get to the "We love you Joe." chant.

I can see loving a school and being loyal to it. I can see that this event should not define who Penn State and their students, faculty, and alums are. When it comes to defending JoePa. Then you lose that benefit of a doubt.

yikes, the article i read didn't include that last part. and my lazy self must've glanced over that last line in your post. you are correct. how you can feel anything other than disgust, anger and sadness about what joepa did is beyond me.

awesome! so all of the people who are left and had nothing to do with the scandal can all now be punished. great.

i am very grateful that the kids that play for PS will get to bear the brunt of these penalties. because they were so guilty. thats great.

awesome! so all of the people who are left and had nothing to do with the scandal can all now be punished. great.

i am very grateful that the kids that play for PS will get to bear the brunt of these penalties. because they were so guilty. thats great.

Any penalty will be unfair if it doesn't allow the players to transfer without restriction.

Back