What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Say it ain't so Kanavis

Well at least we know that our school has been clean in the past 4 years, considering the talent we have had.

Honestly...noone really thought it was awesome that Kanavis ****ed over a slime bag agent....these guys are worse than high paid defense attorneys and anyone who can stick it to them is fine by me

Honestly...noone really thought it was awesome that Kanavis ****ed over a slime bag agent....these guys are worse than high paid defense attorneys and anyone who can stick it to them is fine by me

I guess I'm just mostly pissed that the D-ball I sold Kanavis back in college, was probably paid for in ill-gotten money. I just feel so disillusioned.

i don't see how it hurts mac's reputation. the guy approached kanavis at his home. it's not like mac invited him to practice to talk with the players

That is true, but there will certainly be people who will say that "this was the kind of player CU recruited under McCartney" etc...

Sad that CU was the intro of the piece...however, I have heard Alfred Williams say that one of the reasons he chose CU was that they were the ONLY program that DIDN'T offer him something extra.

how can this guy still be registered for anything?

If he lost his agent status, maybe he needs a big story to help himself out

Kanavis, at worst, conned this fool.

Nobody has heard KM's side of the story

Go Buffs

Another aspect of this story is that the money was not to play at CU...it was as he was concluding his college career and getting ready for the draft. Big difference when you're looking at OU and TU who I personally have first hand knowledge of 2 instances where each paid +$100K in cash or vehicles for players.

Another aspect of this story is that the money was not to play at CU...it was as he was concluding his college career and getting ready for the draft. Big difference when you're looking at OU and TU who I personally have first hand knowledge of 2 instances where each paid +$100K in cash or vehicles for players.

Tulsa paid someone $100,000 to play!?!? GTFO!

:lol::lol: Obviously I meant UT and by that I meant Texas.

The solution to this problem is so simple yet continues to evade the NFL and NCAA.
If an agent pays a college athlete any amount of money the agent should receive a lifetime ban from the NFL.
Way too simple for them I guess. Why penalize the kid why not the agent?
Neuter the money and you neuter the problem.

That is true, but there will certainly be people who will say that "this was the kind of player CU recruited under McCartney" etc...

Considering it's been common knowledge for decades that CU during that era had a few guys with reputations for not going to class, some stuff on the police blotter and even a couple of student athletes who seeded the daughter of a highly paid and well respected university employee? Twice? And now this anecdote's gonna make people start saying that?

I think the loss and tie on the final record, the fifth down and clipping calls and the split in polls are going to fill any critics' heads when questioning the legitimacy of our national championship before they reference anything crooked going on with the players. Haters gonna hate. But I'm sure the exact same thing was going on at Georgia Tech, Miami, Washington or Nebraska in the same time period. No top program is usually immune to this thing going on.

Considering it's been common knowledge for decades that CU during that era had a few guys with reputations for not going to class, some stuff on the police blotter and even a couple of student athletes who seeded the daughter of a highly paid and well respected university employee? Twice? And now this anecdote's gonna make people start saying that?

I think the loss and tie on the final record, the fifth down and clipping calls and the split in polls are going to fill any critics' heads when questioning the legitimacy of our national championship before they reference anything crooked going on with the players. Haters gonna hate. But I'm sure the exact same thing was going on at Georgia Tech, Miami, Washington or Nebraska in the same time period. No top program is usually immune to this thing going on.

I read a book about OU football in the 80's, like when Holloway and Boz were playing. You wouldnt believe the **** in that.

I'm starting to come around to another view on how we pay student athletes.

I've always been a moral highground, "they're getting an education and a good look by NFL talent--what else do they need?" advocate.

But that's not realistic, is it?

The Navy puts lots of young men and women together in close quarters and tells them not to ****. Well, not ****ing is probably the right thing--and sexual relationships can, in some cases, jepoardize the mission. But guess what? Biology finds a way--it's our strongest instinct--and boys and girls are gonna ****. So we need to find options that allow for both biology and mission, in my opinion.

Same here. You've got guys who don't have a lot of money, making a lot of money for people who already have a lot of money. But those guys are valuable commodities in themselves, and their loyalty is worth a lot of money. Many of them are gonna find a way to get money. It's just the way it is.

So while I wish my team wasn't implicated, I've come around to believing there's a bettere way to treat these student athletes.

What are they up to 15 commands this year wrecked by ****ing a jr officer?

The solution to this problem is so simple yet continues to evade the NFL and NCAA.
If an agent pays a college athlete any amount of money the agent should receive a lifetime ban from the NFL.
Way too simple for them I guess. Why penalize the kid why not the agent?
Neuter the money and you neuter the problem.

Um, the NFL does not certify the agents. The NFLPA (Players Association) does. I'm quite certain the NFL would love to send ALL agents to the bottom of the ocean along with the Union. Nor do I believe the NCAA likes the idea of providing a free farm program for the NFL.

These players do actual work for the school. They should, therefore, actually be paid for their work. Period.

What are they up to 15 commands this year wrecked by ****ing a jr officer?

For the record, I'm not suggesting that women shouldn't be in the Navy. I think anybody should have an opportunity to serve their country, and I want to attract the best and the brightest to our service, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientations.

Of course, it does create some challenges, but challenges are ours to overcome.

My only point was that "don't **** each other" isn't the most realistic approach to that challenge.

I would be more embarrassed to be Jonathan Ogden

If you were a good player at UCLA, I made a run at you. I tried to get can't-miss NFL left tackle prospect Jonathan Ogden as a client, but he wouldn't take my money. He did, however, go with me to a Janet Jackson concert. My girlfriend got two tickets, and I told her, "Sorry, I need those tickets for J.O. He's a big Janet Jackson fan." Instead of going to the concert with my girlfriend, I went with a 6'9" guy who weighed more than 300 pounds and who screamed "Janet!" the whole night like a teenage girl.

Wow. This twenty year old kid was able to pay thousands upon thousands of bucks to potential clients? Impressive use of student loans!!

For the record, I'm not suggesting that women shouldn't be in the Navy. I think anybody should have an opportunity to serve their country, and I want to attract the best and the brightest to our service, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientations.

Of course, it does create some challenges, but challenges are ours to overcome.

My only point was that "don't **** each other" isn't the most realistic approach to that challenge.

Maybe they should narrow it down to JO under your direct command is a no no. I agree that biology is what it is. Maybe they need all female crews.

Maybe they should narrow it down to JO under your direct command is a no no. I agree that biology is what it is. Maybe they need all female crews.

This might not be a bad idea. Can you imagine if Al-Qaeda was beaten by a bunch of women? They would be demoralized and maybe women in the Muslim world would rise up against their male oppressors.

If you have a 100% scholarship you get money for rent, food, books etc. on top of paying for your tuition.
I believe a 50% scholarship pays only tuition but not completely sure.

They get little to no money for going out and having fun and are not allowed to have jobs. So they're locked into having no money unless their family can afford to give them some.

This guy is a scumbag. The excuse that he was doing it for his daughters is weak. He was so concerned about what might happen if his daughters looked him up on Google, if thats where your kids formulate their opinion of you then you failed as a parent long ago. Also he could have written this article without name dropping all the players, but he just did it to sensationalize the story and get more attention for himself.

Back