What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo and Lindgren Cause of CUs Misery

stop looking at our soft as charmin OOC schedule. Look at what's happened when the real games started. No change except for turnovers. Which is significant, but not enough to change. Our D is still really bad.

^^Accurate^^

UMass and Nichols are not Stanford, Utah, and USC.

We knew coming into the season that our defense was painful to watch last year and that we would be paper thin this year.

Before the season even started we lost Tupou. Solis has been better than expected but we have no real depth on the DL and still can't set an edge. The LB spot has been decimated by injury resulting in burning redshirts. Only the DBs have been fairly healthy and consistent.

We have been better with turnovers but still get run over, especially later in games and continue to give up huge gashers in almost every game.

stop looking at our soft as charmin OOC schedule. Look at what's happened when the real games started. No change except for turnovers. Which is significant, but not enough to change. Our D is still really bad.

Well, when you generate a turnover and your offense is only on the field for five minutes, generates a three and out, then your lack of rest starts to add up.

"I will say the defense has been much better at keeping the team in it (ASU game was a cluster on ALL fronts) and get buried in the 4th. Defense makes key stops, offense needs to score after those and not punt. That is my main gripe.
And Sefo and Lindgren both have blame for Saturday. Lindgren put Sefo in some bad situations but even in those bad situations Sefo missed good opportunities to sustain or get a drive going.
Must get a win Saturday or #MontezIn2016 and #FireLindgren signs will be out for Stanford and USC games."

Hey Digger, what about the Oline and Bernardi? Why do they get a pass?

to each his own, but watching the replay, it seemed we were very competitive until they switched QBs and offensive strategy and our defense totally failed to adjust - even tho MM said we had prepared for the switch. I see this as on the D coach, as much as anyone, or more

When we got to 24-17, the sense was we had to stretch that lead because our defense can give up scores at a fast and furious pace. When we did not do that on offense and AZ tied the score, it was all over. The best defense, for us anyway, is a good offense. That is why the apparent attempt to play conservative, error free offense with a 7 point lead is so perplexing. Our best chance to win was to be aggressive on offense.

Defense makes key stops, offense needs to score after those and not punt. That is my main gripe.

This is a good point. The team just doesn't seem to be able to maintain momentum. Example: last game against UA, Sefo marches them right down the field for a TD on the first possession of the third quarter and then 2 1/2 minutes later the defense forces a punt. We have momentum. This is a perfect time to march back down the field and score another TD. How much pressure would that put on UA? How much would it have inspired the defense to keep the momentum? Instead both teams go into a lull, six straight punts, but somewhere along the line someone is going to break out of the calm, seize the momentum and the game. We all know who did that.

I think some call it "killer instinct." Whatever the term, the Buffs can't sustain any momentum when it drops into their laps.

Reactions: aik
Our failures are not simple enough to blame on two people. The reason we lose is do to the unique combination of below average coaching, below average talent, apathetic fan base, and low expectations. All of these factors have a compounding effect, and that is why we end up losing to Hawaii / Sacramento State / Montana State.

Last edited:
Our failures are not simple enough to blame on two people. The reason we lose is do to the unique combination of below average coaching, below average talent, apathetic fan base, and low expectations. All of these factors have a compounding effect, and that is why we end up losing to Hawaii by 2 scores.

We lost to hawaii by 8. That is one score. That loss was bad enough, no need to make it worse.

From a logic stand point, I really don't understand why you would only evaluate part of a whole? This discussion seems lame because it's based on a poorly reasoned premise. Or am I missing something?

hqdefault.jpg

Well, he is not really a solution either.

He isn't the solution but at this point who on the roster is the solution.

How many college teams have a QB who changes significant numbers of games into wins. Most are happy to have a guy who gives them a chance.

When you look at it "solution" QBs are rare. I'd love to have one and CU hasn't done a good job of recruiting guys who even have a chance of being one but it isn't like they are falling off trees. Look how many NFL teams don't even have a decent QB much less college programs.

This is why I love the annual "Let's go recruit a superstar QB from the JUCO ranks" threads. Not exactly a lot of those guys either and the ones who are there tend to have much more appealing offers than CU.

Sefo isn't the solution but he isn't the problem either. We are much less effective on the LOS, both offensively and defensively, than we are at QB. That is where games tend to be won or lost.

He isn't the solution but at this point who on the roster is the solution.

How many college teams have a QB who changes significant numbers of games into wins. Most are happy to have a guy who gives them a chance.

When you look at it "solution" QBs are rare. I'd love to have one and CU hasn't done a good job of recruiting guys who even have a chance of being one but it isn't like they are falling off trees. Look how many NFL teams don't even have a decent QB much less college programs.

This is why I love the annual "Let's go recruit a superstar QB from the JUCO ranks" threads. Not exactly a lot of those guys either and the ones who are there tend to have much more appealing offers than CU.

Sefo isn't the solution but he isn't the problem either. We are much less effective on the LOS, both offensively and defensively, than we are at QB. That is where games tend to be won or lost.

Most college programs are happy to have a QB that win games occasionally. You should be able to count on your QB to win 2-3 games a year mostly by himself (so to speak). And no, it is not too much to ask to find one of those guys out there. Sorry if that expectation is too much for some in this fan base to handle.

Digger, you are giving the defense entirely too much credit.

Most college programs are happy to have a QB that win games occasionally. You should be able to count on your QB to win 2-3 games a year mostly by himself (so to speak). And no, it is not too much to ask to find one of those guys out there. Sorry if that expectation is too much for some in this fan base to handle.

Yes, the defense got beat up in the 4th quarter and late 3rd quarter of Oregon. My issue lies in this offense going dormant for 4-5 series stretches. That doesn't win in college football.

And like you said Saturday is a prime opportunity of Sefo to get one of those key wins on his own and he went silent in those 5 series.

Yes, the defense got beat up in the 4th quarter and late 3rd quarter of Oregon. My issue lies in this offense going dormant for 4-5 series stretches. That doesn't win in college football.

And like you said Saturday is a prime opportunity of Sefo to get one of those key wins on his own and he went silent in those 5 series.

I do not think it is too much to ask a defense to make a couple stops in a tight game when field position has been flipped dramatically. Instead, they gave up two 90+ yard scoring drives. Tired or not, that just cannot happen.

You do not lose 14 straight conference games because of one player or even one part of the team. It takes a lot of players not being good enough to be that bad.

As I stated CU recruiting at the QB position has not been adequete, like so many positions.

I think a lot of programs would be happy to have Sefo and with a solid team around him he would win you that 2-3 games a year. At the same time he isn't anything special and so far I haven't seen this staff (or the prior ones) make a major effort to find a guy who can become special.

I think it is fair for the fan base to expect better but that applies for all positions, not just the QB spot. This is where my issue comes in. People scream about Sefo but ignore the fact that multiple other positions on the field have a lot more to do with us losing than the QB. Yes some other QBs in our league might win us a few games with this team but none would make us respectable. The entire standard needs to be raised, changing one average QB for another isn't going to make us good.

I do not think it is too much to ask a defense to make a couple stops in a tight game when field position has been flipped dramatically. Instead, they gave up two 90+ yard scoring drives. Tired or not, that just cannot happen.

You do not lose 14 straight conference games because of one player or even one part of the team. It takes a lot of players not being good enough to be that bad.

Stated better than I did. Completely correct.

Quit acting like a fish out of water. You flip from one side to the next often and this thread shows it saying Sefo needs to win us games and then saying give him a break. It is not ALL on Sefo, but we have pointed out that 5 series of punts that cost CU the game by not keeping the foot on the pedal.

Quit acting like a fish out of water. You flip from one side to the next often and this thread shows it saying Sefo needs to win us games and then saying give him a break. It is not ALL on Sefo, but we have pointed out that 5 series of punts that cost CU the game by not keeping the foot on the pedal.

I do not like Sefo as a QB, but this thread just comes off as simplistic. If you are seriously going to excuse two 90+ yard TD drives from the defense, there is no need to debate any further. Last weekend was the ultimate team loss and unfortunately Sefo is not good enough to elevate the team in those types of games. If you want to call that waffling, go for it, but it just comes off as overly simplistic to say we completely suck because of two people.

I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing him say you can be critical of Sefo. Hell, Duff is one of his bigger critics but you don't have to blame all of our woes on him and the offense either. Quite fair IMO.

I do not like Sefo as a QB, but this thread just comes off as simplistic. If you are seriously going to excuse two 90+ yard TD drives from the defense, there is no need to debate any further. Last weekend was the ultimate team loss and unfortunately Sefo is not good enough to elevate the team in those types of games. If you want to call that waffling, go for it, but it just comes off as overly simplistic to say we completely suck because of two people.
We suck because of multiple reasons/players/coaches, but repeatedly those two have done nothing to win games we could and should have.

Back