What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shedeur Sanders - 2023-24 Tracking History Thread

I am not as good at analyzing these things as many here but I have heard that the difference between a great college QB and a great pro QB is the deep ball. in watching the last few games does #2 seem to have the elite accuracy in the deep ball that the pro game requires? I see some that appear behind the receiver or otherwise just enough "off" to not work.

I realize I am being blasphemous but overlook that for purposes of civil discourse.

I am not as good at analyzing these things as many here but I have heard that the difference between a great college QB and a great pro QB is the deep ball. in watching the last few games does #2 seem to have the elite accuracy in the deep ball that the pro game requires? I see some that appear behind the receiver or otherwise just enough "off" to not work.

I realize I am being blasphemous but overlook that for purposes of civil discourse.
If Daniel Jones and Baker Mayfield can be NFL starters, so can Shadeur. Plus, the NFL (and every level of football) is 0% about bombs and 100% about putting the ball in the right place at the right time. Shadeur can absolutely do that.

no disrespect to SS2 as his maturity and playmaking ability have both exceeded my already high expectations...but McAfee giving takes reminds me of Jim Cramer slinging stock tips – entertainment over substance
Entertainment yes, but Shedeur looks different than other QB's. He does things in the pocket that a lot of NFL QB's don't do. He throws a lot of balls that other QB's can't throw.

Entertainment yes, but Shedeur looks different than other QB's. He does things in the pocket that a lot of NFL QB's don't do. He throws a lot of balls that other QB's can't throw.

totally agree. I'd love to hear more about what those things are from a paid analyst instead of "he is SO good at football and CU has running backs on running backs" (which is just not true at this point)

let's get Tony Romo up in the booth for the Oregon or USC games

no disrespect to SS2 as his maturity and playmaking ability have both exceeded my already high expectations...but McAfee giving takes reminds me of Jim Cramer slinging stock tips – entertainment over substance
Which one is McAfee? Because that dude in the tank top is pure clown, from my 2:00 minutes of watching him.

It's been improving each year. It's not a thing of beauty like Williams or Maye but it's compact and generally within the bread basket. The most important thing is knowing what you are seeing to make the throw on that level. Deep shots are hard to come by in the NFL.

Dane Brugler is the NFL Draft guru for The Athletic. I've followed him for several years and find him to be credible, knowledgeable and accurate.

Here is what he wrote after the TCU game:

He showed NFL-level arm talent, poise and pre-snap awareness in the opener — that much is clear. Now, evaluators want to see him build a body of work and stack consistent outings on tape.

Here is what Brugler wrote after the kNU game:

The win over the Huskers wasn’t a negative performance, by any means — quite the opposite. But it was a reminder that Sanders is still a very young quarterback. He needs time to develop his processing and overall feel to more efficiently answer the problems that better defenses will create.

Brugler had longer writeups, but these quotes were good summaries of his thoughts. In a nutshell, Brugler is saying that Shedeur is an NFL talent and potentially a high level NFL talent if he keeps improving with experience.

I think it's more about that mid-range throw in the NFL to be able to deliver accurately, on time, into those tight windows at that 10-20 yard range. "Checkdown Charlie" types who complete a high % and avoid interceptions are starters who should be backups that GMs are looking to upgrade through the draft.

I think it's more about that mid-range throw in the NFL to be able to deliver accurately, on time, into those tight windows at that 10-20 yard range. "Checkdown Charlie" types who complete a high % and avoid interceptions are starters who should be backups that GMs are looking to upgrade through the draft.
Great post

It’s been so long since I’ve watched a college QB with this much going on already. Pre snap reads, progression, being able to put a ball where the receiver can get it. Throwing into (tight) windows, STEPPING UP IN THE POCKET, instead of bailing out. Not sailing a ball 5-10 yards past a receiver.

Hard to believe that Shedeur could finish as the greatest to do it in a Buffs uniform.

Then to be a possible overall no. 1 pick in 2025?

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

It’s been so long since I’ve watched a college QB with this much going on already. Pre snap reads, progression, being able to put a ball where the receiver can get it. Throwing into (tight) windows, STEPPING UP IN THE POCKET, instead of bailing out. Not sailing a ball 5-10 yards past a receiver.

Hard to believe that Shedeur could finish as the greatest to do it in a Buffs uniform.

Then to be a possible overall no. 1 pick in 2024?

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF
FIFY

I'm not sure how they score sacks, but there was at least one and I think two times when Sanders was pressured, scrambling, and then ran out of bounds behind the LOS rather than throw the ball away. I think those factor into the large number.

I would also say that Sanders is pretty much never looking to run. He's always looking down field for someone. There were plenty of plays where he could have run a second or two earlier and probably picks up a few yards, but he was trying to find people down the field and ended up getting sacked. There's one in particular when 11 basically grabbed him with one hand as he was trying to step up in the pocket and then run out along the LOS looking for someone. Given that at least two of his TD passes and several other big plays this year came on these types of plays, I don't hate it at all.
You are seeing it correctly. If a QB indicates that he is in a passing mode and instead of throwing the ball is stopped, either by a tackle, by a fumble, or by going out of bounds and the net result is a loss of yardage it is scored as a sack.

I think that Shedeur knows that he can't take unnecessary hits. One of the weaknesses of the team is no developed depth behind him at QB so he isn't going to be looking to make a lot of runs for positive yardage unless he sees an opening he can take advantage of and still get down or out of bounds.

I also think that they aren't overly worried about him terminating a pass play by running out or self-sacking for a short loss, they have confidence in the playmakers to make up that yardage. They don't though want to give up unnecessary turnovers and put the defense in a bad position.

Which one is McAfee? Because that dude in the tank top is pure clown, from my 2:00 minutes of watching him.
I tuned into the Bama TX game except it was the alternate broadcast where McAfee and his podcast crew sat in the endzone and made their own commentary. It was probably the worst minute of my day while I was searching for the regular broadcast. I wonder how that broadcast rated out? He is all in on coach prime and probably influential with the youth or something so I guess its good to have him on our side but I am definitely not a fan.

Fans of opposing schools are correct in saying that CU players are getting a big NIL bag. Where they miss is when they say CU players are getting a CU collective paid NIL bag. Playing for Coach Prime brings NIL opportunities that no other school can/will provide.
Also, these are evaluations are... kinda dumb? They don't represent what a player is getting, just what they're theoretical worth is based on influence, right?

Also, these are evaluations are... kinda dumb? They don't represent what a player is getting, just what they're theoretical worth is based on influence, right?

It doesn't matter if they are not precisely correct, they are directionally correct which bodes better for CU than any other program.

Back