What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simmons ineligible? (Currently a rumor)

I will bring up a sore subject, CU is never going to get the depth issue resolved if they keep undersigning every year. I think for the last 2 years CU has not filled the available scholarships which is now resulting with CU being way below the 85 limit. Most schools oversign knowing that there will be some attrition, CU undersigns and then when attrition occurs it is a bigger deal. CU is going into this year with about 72 scholarship players available including about 15 true freshmen.

Not a sore subject, something that needs to be addressed IMO. There is a thread in a recruiting forum that buffaholic started a couple days ago about the same thing. We need to sign a full class (or close enough, 23-25) next February.

There is a 13 page thread and you think it would be 100% on topic. I have seen threads that go off-topic on the first reply.

First reply? Hell, I have seen the original post to start a thread go off topic. (If the first post is longer than three sentances, it is almost a sure thing!):smile2:

I will bring up a sore subject, CU is never going to get the depth issue resolved if they keep undersigning every year. I think for the last 2 years CU has not filled the available scholarships which is now resulting with CU being way below the 85 limit. Most schools oversign knowing that there will be some attrition, CU undersigns and then when attrition occurs it is a bigger deal. CU is going into this year with about 72 scholarship players available including about 15 true freshmen.
So, you would just sign folks for the sake of signing? It isn't like they weren't after more than they got. Recruiting at this level is tough and competitive.

Big problem there is that we can oversign all we want to, but the players have to be legit Big XII contenders...and we've had problems with that lately to be frank. It seems that every year we are competing with the national powerhouses for a very small handful of kids (which we lose out on 9 out of 10 times), and for the rest of our recruits we are recruiting against the likes of Goat State, Wyo, and Big Sky/WAC schools for their services. It isn't like we're currently signing 3 5-star QBs every year. Not knocking the kids that we do get...they just aren't as heavily recruited thus their options are somewhat limited.

This is a problem because there are plenty of kids who could start at CU who will pick UT, OU, USC, Miami, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. and are willing to ride the bench at those schools because they are national powers. We simply aren't right now. Even if we get there, we would have to stay there for several years in a row again so we could potentially oversign competitive Big XII caliber players.

So, you would just sign folks for the sake of signing? It isn't like they weren't after more than they got. Recruiting at this level is tough and competitive.

Never said that. You need to have enough quality players lined up so you can fill your class. Look at the 2007 class, CU lost a couple of Oline prospects at the last minute but had Maiava as a fall back position...that worked out well.

Yes recruiting is tough and competitive but Hawkins needs to figure out how to get it done. I don't see a lot of other schools coming up as short as the Buffs are for prospects.

Never said that. You need to have enough quality players lined up so you can fill your class. Look at the 2007 class, CU lost a couple of Oline prospects at the last minute but had Maiava as a fall back position...that worked out well.

Yes recruiting is tough and competitive but Hawkins needs to figure out how to get it done. I don't see a lot of other schools coming up as short as the Buffs are for prospects.

Exactly. Signing 19-21 players a year is not going to cut it.

Big problem there is that we can oversign all we want to, but the players have to be legit Big XII contenders...and we've had problems with that lately to be frank. It seems that every year we are competing with the national powerhouses for a very small handful of kids (which we lose out on 9 out of 10 times), and for the rest of our recruits we are recruiting against the likes of Goat State, Wyo, and Big Sky/WAC schools for their services. It isn't like we're currently signing 3 5-star QBs every year. Not knocking the kids that we do get...they just aren't as heavily recruited thus their options are somewhat limited.

This is a problem because there are plenty of kids who could start at CU who will pick UT, OU, USC, Miami, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. and are willing to ride the bench at those schools because they are national powers. We simply aren't right now. Even if we get there, we would have to stay there for several years in a row again so we could potentially oversign competitive Big XII caliber players.

I just don't buy that argument there are plenty of 3 star recruits out of California and Texas that CU is not even pursuing - the rosters of schools like Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, etc. are full of those types of players.

IMO, CU did a poor job with the last recruiting class. We were not in on very many players. I don't see a lot of USC, Texas, OU or ND recruits that had CU on their list. Yes I am starting to get worried about the recruiting CU recruiting.

I just don't buy that argument there are plenty of 3 star recruits out of California and Texas that CU is not even pursuing - the rosters of schools like Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, etc. are full of those types of players.

IMO, CU did a poor job with the last recruiting class. We were not in on very many players. I don't see a lot of USC, Texas, OU or ND recruits that had CU on their list. Yes I am starting to get worried about the recruiting CU recruiting.

Problem is beating out the likes of Oregon, ASU, TT, UW for those players. You can't pretend that the staff didn't try. The next level is to go after players being recruited by the MWC & WAC schools and many of us argue that those players can't cut it in the BigXII.

Maybe you can argue that the staff aimed too high and went up against schools we don't stand a chance against. Then, by the time they were going after the next level of guys, they were already too tied up with those schools. I don't buy that argument though.

Problem is beating out the likes of Oregon, ASU, TT, UW for those players. You can't pretend that the staff didn't try. The next level is to go after players being recruited by the MWC & WAC schools and many of us argue that those players can't cut it in the BigXII.

Maybe you can argue that the staff aimed too high and went up against schools we don't stand a chance against. Then, by the time they were going after the next level of guys, they were already too tied up with those schools. I don't buy that argument though.

I thought that CU was in late on too many players. I did not see many players those schools were recruiting that had CU even on their radar.

I thought that CU was in late on too many players. I did not see many players those schools were recruiting that had CU even on their radar.

Correct. Hawk needs to figure it out, we need to have 85 guys on scholly not 72. We have attrition by the handful every off-season so oversigning would not hurt us one bit.

Giving scholarships to 7-8 walk-ons isn't the way to go.

Back