What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So, A Buff free Draft

Ask Riar if he would rather be drafted, or become a free agent. I'm sure he'd rather be drafted.

I also believe that Riar had the talent to become a 3-4th round pick. possibly higher. I just don't believe the staff really developed that talent. JMHO. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I don't know how good he could have been. I don't know, for instance, how fast he is, how good a run blocker he is, etc. For sure, getting drafted is better for the ego. But as a free agent, a player gets more choice where he ends up. By signing with the Broncos, he puts himself in a pretty good situation, I think.

Yeah, I don't know how good he could have been. I don't know, for instance, how fast he is, how good a run blocker he is, etc. For sure, getting drafted is better for the ego. But as a free agent, a player gets more choice where he ends up. By signing with the Broncos, he puts himself in a pretty good situation, I think.

He should be well prepared for the Broncos, he will be playing for an egomaniac coach who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, he will be playing for a coach who thinks his "system" and "hard work" are more important than talent so he gets rid of the talented guys and plays "his guys." He will be playing for a coach who is convinced that despite losing repeatedly on the scoreboard he is on the right track.

In short his experience with Hawkins should serve him well with McDaniels.:lol:

Reactions: DBT
He should be well prepared for the Broncos, he will be playing for an egomaniac coach who thinks he is smarter than everyone else, he will be playing for a coach who thinks his "system" and "hard work" are more important than talent so he gets rid of the talented guys and plays "his guys." He will be playing for a coach who is convinced that despite losing repeatedly on the scoreboard he is on the right track.

In short his experience with Hawkins should serve him well with McDaniels.:lol:
Even I have to :lol: at that! Good one.

This one has him as #2 so far:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_OT

and they list Jalil Brown as #26 CB and Jimmy Smith as #32 CB. Herrod as #46 DE (dude is 280+ lbs no way he is a 3-4 LB more likely a 4-3 strong side end).

Also has Scotty McKnight was listed as #23 WR. (forgot to mention him)

For another reference this site has Solder as #9 OT, and also lists Scotty as #21 WR but doesn't have defensive guys up yet:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011OT.php

And before the credibility of these sites gets questioned, these are two of the very best comprehensive rankings and scouting analysis sites available for free on the intrawebs.

Why so down about this year's senior class chances in the NFL?

Remember they are only projecting seniors and aren't ranking eligible juniors for next year..

Solder I guess will get drafted.. The others I would be mildly surprised..

If Barnett was so great at developing players, how come no one from the Buffs was drafted in 2001 or 2005?

Listen, I'm certainly not on the Hawkins bandwagon, but let's not rewrite history here. When Barnett had talent, he won. GB beat the teams he was supposed to and rarely pulled an upset (sometimes even got smoked by more talented teams). We simply did not pull in good classes in the 3 post-scandal years (2004, 2005, 2006). On top of that, a number of the guys (like Calhoun) who were brought in for those excellent 2002 and 2003 classes ended up leaving. We haven't had talent plus depth since 2004.

Hawkins drives me crazy because his teams don't always take care of business (Montana State, for example). But let's not pretend the talent's been there. If you look at the NFL draft, CU has been the least talented team in the Big 12 the past 5 years.

Now, even though 2006 was a transitional year when we signed a class after a coaching change and on the heels of a recruiting season filled with controversy and coaching hot seat talk... that class is still on Hawkins (for better or for worse) as his first class. There were a lot of good players in that 2006 group despite what the rankings said. We pulled a number of solid starters along with a handful of future NFLers out of that class. The 2010 Buffs are legitimately talented with some depth behind the starters. Hawk better win this year. They're his guys and he's playing with a full deck.

Remember they are only projecting seniors and aren't ranking eligible juniors for next year..

Solder I guess will get drafted.. The others I would be mildly surprised..

Oh I know that it is just seniors, which is what I said in my first post. Doesn't mean we will automatically be a great team either, but the talent is there. IMO that actually should put even more pressure on Hawk this season. The cupboard is full, nobody can use any other excuse for not playing well this year. Even if we lose, those games better be battles. If not, then it will be obvious to anyone and everyone (even though most on this board have been there for a while). The kids are worth rooting for this season, that's for sure.

I still can't believe noone has given Burney a shot. A 200 lb kid who has legit 4.3-4.4 speed, 39" vertical, and experience playing CB and Safety in the Big 12?

What more can you ask for in an undrafted free agent?

The Broncos should bring him in before someone else does, I know he could at least make the practice squad.

Didnt Burney have like 3 or 4 surgeries the year before last? Could have something to do with it?

Yeah I am sure that is factoring in, but the way he rebounded and looks better than ever should earn him a camp invite, I would figure?

Im sure he'll get one from somewhere. Db's are more important than they ever have been with the way the league is pass happy now.

Geer had way too much talent not to be drafted. Somewhere something went wrong. Was it Geer? Maybe, but I think his coaches were the problem.

I guess there's just not much of a market for TEs under 6'4" who run a 4.95-5.05 forty and bench press less than a big wide receiver. Go figure.

I'm not bagging on Geer, though. He's got good short area quickness, good hands and is a pretty solid technique blocker. He was an excellent college football player. I just never thought he projected to playing on Sundays.

Burney appears to have signed with the Browns. Marcus Burton invited to Jets tryout this weekend.

I guess there's just not much of a market for TEs under 6'4" who run a 4.95-5.05 forty and bench press less than a big wide receiver. Go figure.

I'm not bagging on Geer, though. He's got good short area quickness, good hands and is a pretty solid technique blocker. He was an excellent college football player. I just never thought he projected to playing on Sundays.
I think people look way too into 40 times. I always thought that he had the necessary tools to play on Sunday's.

There isn't any excuse for his bench press performance. I wonder what went wrong there.

Jesus how many reps did he do? Thought our strength coach was getting our squad stronger, wtf happened with that lol?

Pitt seems to focus on squats and cleans more so than the bench. That's fine for every player that isn't throwing a block, maybe, but explosiveness without strength makes it difficult for guys on the OL/DL when they get out of their stance and are struggling.

Pitt seems to focus on squats and cleans more so than the bench. That's fine for every player that isn't throwing a block, maybe, but explosiveness without strength makes it difficult for guys on the OL/DL when they get out of their stance and are struggling.

Sounds like our o-line the last few years...

Back