What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So what does beating Cal mean to the Buffs

I thought Cal was in recovery mode after a pretty good showing against SC but they really had a rotten game yesterday due in part to a very nice effort from the Buffs.
Big picture - Only one win.
Big picture II - I keep waiting to see a team that is turning things around mentally. If they can keep it close with SC and grab a win against the Utes this could end up being a really important game in the Buffs return to glory.
I do wish that a bunch of recruits had come yesterday to see the Buffs have a good game and show some promise for the future..

The Cal game showed the buffs that if you excute, you can overcome a talent gap.
The timing of this lesson is perfect given that SC is coming to town.

On that topic(SC), we are catching them at a very good time for us. We are playing them at home, they are coming down from a very big emotional win, and they are likely to be looking past us with a game the week after us against their rival which will also likely decide who goes to the CCG. if they come out flat, and we execute, and we get a little luck (and maybe some bad weather), we could steal a win against them. I know that's a lot of 'ands' but what we're heading into next week is exactly the kind of situation where upsets like that happen.

I think if we keep within 20 of USC we can show that to recruits. USC will likely be ranked in the Top 20 next week. We haven't shown well against teams with athletes who are ranked.

The Cal game showed the buffs that if you excute, you can overcome a talent gap.

On that topic(SC), we are catching them at a very good time for us. We are playing them at home, they are coming down from a very big emotional win, and they are likely to be looking past us with a game the week after us against their rival which will also likely decide who goes to the CCG. if they come out flat, and we execute, and we get a little luck (and maybe some bad weather), we could steal a win against them. I know that's a lot of 'ands' but what we're heading into next week is exactly the kind of situation where upsets like that happen.

Well said.

I think if we keep within 20 of USC we can show that to recruits. USC will likely be ranked in the Top 20 next week. We haven't shown well against teams with athletes who are ranked.

I was thinking more like under 10 especially considering SJB's point about catching SC at a good time. I don't think we could have planned it better if we had tried.

ASU controls the South right now, but USC needs this win to have any shot. With a UCLA win over ASU next week, things start to get interesting for USC.

USC will be motivated. I don't see our offense moving the ball or scoring much next week.

Utah will be a tough matchup too.

The best thing for the Buffs is they can play loose the next two weeks. We're no longer the absolute doormat program of the Pac 12. We matched our win total over the previous two seasons. We won all the games we were favored to win. Pressure's off. I hope they play loose, open up the playbook, and capitalize on all of our early opportunities to score TDs.

Last edited:
I was thinking more like under 10 especially considering SJB's point about catching SC at a good time. I don't think we could have planned it better if we had tried.
Timing is good but the best timing would have been if Kiffin had limped into this game on the hottest seat in football. They were playing bad football.

It means reading the Sunday morning post game analysis while on the throne is much more enjoyable.

It means that the hat I bought at the CEC yesterday before the basketball game is batting a thousand. I think I'll keep it. :smile2:

Thankfully we didn't react like Kansas:
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- James Sims rushed for 211 yards and three touchdowns and Kansas snapped a 27-game Big 12 losing streak Saturday with a 31-19 victory over West Virginia.

Thousands of fans stormed onto the field embracing players and coaches and eventually tearing down the south goalpost.

Watched the Clemson game the other night. The announcers said that their fans never storm the field because as they put it, Clemson invites their fans to the field to celebrate a victory.

USC has been my "upset special" since pre-season picks were made (you can look it up).

I'm sticking with it: As noted above and as I noted early on, the psyches of both teams is favorable for the Buffs. The following week's big game with inter-city rival UCLA has to be more attention-getting for the Condoms than a side trip to Boulder and the weather is predicted to be chilly (anybody notice the Cal players huddling together, wearing their cold weather gear?) and the altitude in Boulder remains the same for an NCAA short-stacked and banged-up team.

Buffs coming off a good win, CU Senior Day and a chance at continuing toward a bowl as well as regaining relevence.

And there is the physical aspect. Even though "Furd lost, they beat up U$C physically because that's what they do.

Time for CU to break the U$C jinx! (Too bad, MM can't allow the grass to grow 5 inchs longer like Eddie Crowder did to slow up Mike Garrett, when U$C only beat a horrid Buffs' team, 14-0 in '63. Never saw John McKay so angry with a field!)

Timing is good but the best timing would have been if Kiffin had limped into this game on the hottest seat in football. They were playing bad football.

Agreed. The interim has them pretty fired up and playing much closer to their potential. They have an outside shot at the conference championship game so they do have a something to play for. Kiffin is still the coach - I would like our chances but then again if Kiffin were still the coach they would have a couple more losses on their record right now.

ASU controls the South right now, but USC needs this win to have any shot. With a UCLA win over ASU next week, things start to get interesting for USC.

USC will be motivated. I don't see our offense moving the ball or scoring much next week.

Utah will be a tough matchup too.

The best thing for the Buffs is they can play loose the next two weeks. We're no longer the absolute doormat program of the Pac 12. We matched our win total over the previous two seasons. We won all the games we were favored to win. Pressure's off. I hope they play loose, open up the playbook, and capitalize on all of our early opportunities to score TDs.

Pretty much this above.

The timing of our game and the UCLA vs ASU game will be interesting. Either way, USC is playing for a lot still and they will be in Boulder to win. Let's hope for a 10am start, and brutal, cold conditions.

Pretty much this above.

The timing of our game and the UCLA vs ASU game will be interesting. Either way, USC is playing for a lot still and they will be in Boulder to win. Let's hope for a 10am start, and brutal, cold conditions.

You really want 10 ,000 people to show up for Senior day?

All kidding aside, we need to catch Troy napping and hope our DL can stop SC run game , which has improved under Coach O

Done for the season. Will lose big to USC and Utah. We're 4-8, but making progress. Go Buffs !! Can't wait for the CSU and Hawaii games next year.

Even with all the wishfull/hopefull thinking I don't think we beat USC, even if they have a bad game.

Utah on the other hand would not be a shock. Yes they did beat Stanford but they have also lost 5 games this year and have the same record we do. Their talent is better than us (who isn't) but they are as up and down as any team in the league.

Just thought about this. This is the first game where the team put together all 3 phases of the game...in the same game!!!! I'm beginning to change my mind a bit now...if we play nearly flawless football and USC chokes, we have a 5% chance of beating them.

Just thought about this. This is the first game where the team put together all 3 phases of the game...in the same game!!!! I'm beginning to change my mind a bit now...if we play nearly flawless football and USC chokes, we have a 5% chance of beating them.

My thoughts exactly. While not ideal, it is the first time in a very very longtime I feel we have even a remote chance against this caliber of a team.

That darn Kool-Aid starts tasting good again. Oh, yea - then I remember the ASU and UW games.

Back