What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So who do you want as the new Head Coach?

Hawks resume at the time of the hire led many to believe(including me) that he would be a success here.

Oh believe me. I was very happy with the hire. But a 2-10 year 1 was not better than Barnett the year before. I was skeptical then but still hopeful that perhaps the cupboards were bare and he just needed to install his system. Then year 2, he beat CSewe, OU AND the nubs, so I though OK, maybe this guy is OK. Halfway through year 3 he lost me, when I started seeing so many bad decisions, other programs in worse sitations make quicker turnarounds, and basically seeing him be outcoached time after time.

Oh believe me. I was very happy with the hire. But a 2-10 year 1 was not better than Barnett the year before. I was skeptical then but still hopeful that perhaps the cupboards were bare and he just needed to install his system. Then year 2, he beat CSewe, OU AND the nubs, so I though OK, maybe this guy is OK. Halfway through year 3 he lost me, when I started seeing so many bad decisions, other programs in worse sitations make quicker turnarounds, and basically seeing him be outcoached time after time.

Question - are the cupboards still bare? Have we bought into recruiting hype...do we have the talent today to really compete in the Big 12....or Mountain West? Our boys were literally getting thrown around...

somebody on netbuffs made a great suggestion. they said coach ken niumatalolo from navy. now he's my #1 choice. he's absolutely perfect for us. and i don't think our players would continue skipping classes at will with him around. we need to snatch him up before a better program decides they need a new coach

My wife had a great idea. Tommy Tuberville is out of job and is available. Any job is better than no job, and the longer he sits out the less chance of him getting a new gig. He has had proven success in the SEC, and knows how to run a program, and will be given way more leeway at CU than he had from the boosters at Auburn. It would be pure win!! Plus it would give us an 'in' into SEC country recruiting.

My dad is a big Canes fan. The inside rumor is that Randy Shannon is done unless he turns in an incredible year and former UM assistant Tuberville is supposed to the targe du jour. We'll see.

I think sometimes the best new coaches are the young, hungry ones that haven't had the chance to be HC.

Once you're established, it's too costly to hire them away.

Do a thorough research process and hire the best person for the job. We have several weeks to do the work, and it's work that needs to be done.

I can't see us hiring a big name established coach. We just lost the season opener which will cause ticket sales to slide for the next couple of games. We have always been a financially challenged program to begin with and the economy is in the dumps which will hurt booster funds.

Is it too late to hire Steve Fairchild?

I'd like someone from the NFL to be perfectly honest.

I think Bohn will have to hire someone with CU ties.

That means someone like Embree, or Bienemy, etc.

Why? That's the stupidiest thing I've ever heard. Why do you insist on being a homer who limits our choices? After Bieniemy tells you he wants a million five a season and Embree gets eliminated again who's left after that? Cabral? Dave Logan? Joel Klatt? Hagan? None of these guys make me very randy but I guess beggers cant be choosers anymore.

Most of Mac's best assistants already have become head coahces. The rest have either retired or remained where they were. That was 20 years ago and the other HCs we've had all had less than stellar assistants.

We need Mac back for another 5 yrs. He's still involved with CU and obviously still cares about the program, and can jump right in and then retire again just like Snyder, Osbourse (as AD) as I'm sure a handful of other programs.

I know, I know, I'm daydreaming.

A couple of wild thoughts.

Shannahan might not be that out there. He likes living in Colorado, has accomplished two superbowl wins in the NFL and may not want to go back to dealing with nutty owners and 11 months a year of 70+ hour weeks coaching guys who think they are special because they get a check. He already has more money than he or his wife could ever spend.

Gary Kubiak may be unemployed after this year (or before) if the Texans don't start winning fast. I always thought that he would be a better college coach than pro coach. Again he has family in Colorado (a little hard to deal with his kids going to CSU) and is an inteligent, enthusiastic guy who I think would be a killer recruiter.

Outside of those guys I would look at a top level coordinator at a school that is used to winning. I do think that we have recruited well and have a very strong talent base that is still very young. A guy who could motivate and organize that talent could win fairly quickly here. Unlike when Hawk came in the cupboard in nowhere close to bare, it is just a big mess.

I'd like to see a young offensive or defensive guru to be hired. Someone with a specialty on one side of the ball. Hopefully that person can then hire someone to be the man on the other side of the ball.

Jeremy Bates?

Will Muschamp?

Chris Peterson?

Oh and my personal favorite, Bud Foster. I know the guy seems to love Virginia Tech and has never left even though I'm sure he has had offers, but I'd love to see our defense play like his does year in and year out. That being said I bet he has the VT job lined up when Beamer rolls out, I really don't know.

Oh my, well according to wikipedia (I know):

Foster indicated interest in the head coaching vacancy at West Virginia University after the 2007 season and most recently in the head coaching position at Clemson University in the middle of the 2008 season.

Just hire him now Bohn.

He's not recruiting well, he makes questionable coaching decisions, he sits his best recruits on the bench while playing walk-on's with no speed, and runs an offense that goes horizontal more than vertical. Those would be my main problems with Hawk..

That and many other posts here in this thread show a few good reasons as to him not coaching well at CU.

But I am wondering, still, if he is really the problem, and of course by extension, if replacing him would solve the current problems the CU football program is in the midst of.

His performance at Boise State yielded a 53 - 11 overall record of W/L.

Why? That's the stupidiest thing I've ever heard. Why do you insist on being a homer who limits our choices? After Bieniemy tells you he wants a million five a season and Embree gets eliminated again who's left after that? Cabral? Dave Logan? Joel Klatt? Hagan? None of these guys make me very randy but I guess beggers cant be choosers anymore.

Most of Mac's best assistants already have become head coahces. The rest have either retired or remained where they were. That was 20 years ago and the other HCs we've had all had less than stellar assistants.

Bohn went outside the CU program and hired HIS guy -- Dan Hawkins. So I think the decision about who is going to be CU's next head football coach is just as much on Mike Bohn's head as anybody's. Frankly, I suspect there will be some people who will be calling for Bohn to be fired before Hawkins is fired.

I think there will be a tremendous calling amongst alums (former players) and boosters to bring in a coach with CU ties. Someone who knows the little quirks about CU that makes CU a tough place to coach. Someone who will be willing to accept a little bit less money. Someone who knows how to recruit to Colorado. Someone who will legitimately bring back a power running game (not just give it lip service).

I think there will be a tremendous calling amongst alums (former players) and boosters to bring in a coach with CU ties. Someone who knows the little quirks about CU that makes CU a tough place to coach. Someone who will be willing to accept a little bit less money. Someone who knows how to recruit to Colorado. Someone who will legitimately bring back a power running game (not just give it lip service).

yep. that's how ucla ended up with dorrell. same freaking thing. embree might be the magic cure that we need, but i would hope they will look at coordinators from major programs. Mac was d-coordinator and top recruiter at michigan. he didn't have any CU ties and he turned out alright.

the whole thing is depressing.

yep. that's how ucla ended up with dorrell. same freaking thing. embree might be the magic cure that we need, but i would hope they will look at coordinators from major programs. Mac was d-coordinator and top recruiter at michigan. he didn't have any CU ties and he turned out alright.

the whole thing is depressing.

Karl Dorrell went 35-27 in his 5 seasons as UCLA's coach - and only had ONE losing season.

We should be so lucky!!

That and many other posts here in this thread show a few good reasons as to him not coaching well at CU.

But I am wondering, still, if he is really the problem, and of course by extension, if replacing him would solve the current problems the CU football program is in the midst of.

His performance at Boise State yielded a 53 - 11 overall record of W/L.

I think it's now safe to say that Chris Peterson had more to do with that than Hawkins.

Well, if the consensus is that the Colorado football *program* is fine, and it's just the Head Coach that is responsible for the downturn in W/Ls, then maybe Dan Hawkins is a victim of The Peter Principle: the tendency for some to be pulled up the ranks in their profession until they reach a level they are not competent to be successful in.

Well, if the consensus is that the Colorado football *program* is fine, and it's just the Head Coach that is responsible for the downturn in W/Ls, then maybe Dan Hawkins is a victim of The Peter Principle: the tendency for some to be pulled up the ranks in their profession until they reach a level they are not competent to be successful in.
hawk was doing great by standing on the shoulders of giants. Without peterson, epic fail.

Why prolong the pain? We need to pull him out faster than duct tape on a hairy ass. The faster we yank hiim out the less painful it will be in the long run.

We can let the healing begin sooner rather later.

Bronco Mendenhall or Kyle Whittingham.

(yeah, I said it in the other thread, too)

Because neither can win a BCS championship where they are now.

Nor will they in Boulder after a few years of getting fed up with lack of support and trying to rebuild this decade's mess. They'll go to a top-tier BCS school or they'll try to get their championship rebuilding in a BCS league that's not the Big 12 or SEC.

Because neither can win a BCS championship where they are now.
True...but they are gods in Mormonland...sortta like Stoops is god in BF Oklahoma. Some guys realize that they have it ok where they are.

With the higher level of play in their conference (and the momentum to allow them some level of national respect) I do not see either of those guys leaving any time soon.

Still think they would leave for CU because they wont have to go far and the lure of the Big XII is still strong. Most succesful head coaches are egotistical leaders that continue to want a bigger challenge.

Back