What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer Dinwiddie Injury

Torn ACL confirmed, surgery is Tuesday

664.gif

Word has to come out sometime soon. He Tweeted a selfie with his mom in the waiting room three hours ago. She flew out to be with him.

If it is the ACL, I hope he doesn't have Eric McCarty do the surgery. All the people I've known who have had the surgery fail had it done by him. Of course, that is a grand total of two, which is probably about half of what he does in an average day. No offense, Doc!

Dr. McCarty worked on my knee and it is doing just fine. In fact I know quite a few people that have had successful surgeries performed by him.

**** **** **** **** :cry: :bang:

(NSFW)

[video=youtube;LqgjtlDakU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgjtlDakU4[/video]

Let alone the physical pain, I can't imagine the mental strain this puts on a young man. The future is bright, Spencer. Buff Nation is pulling for you.

You are completely right. I just read a really long but informative article on ACLs. It talks a lot about the mental side.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10072331/derrick-rose-rob-gronkowski-rise-acl-tears

There's also an interesting quote from a doctor who studied the movement during the ACL tear, and it describes exactly what Spencer did.

He found that those who tore their ACLs all did the exact same thing with their legs when they were avoiding a defender or reacting to an offensive player. "They throw it [the injured limb] out to the side, and they try to make an upper-body move where they move away from the side that they've just planted," he says. "And they get to what we call a `point of no return.'" The knee misaligns, turns inward, and the athlete lands knock-kneed. That is when you hear the pop.

This ****ing sucks. Crushed for the kid. Time will bring perspective, but he has got to be pretty wrecked right now. Best to him.

Feel so bad for Spencer, but not throwing in towel on this season. This board has had a major hard-on for depth for months now. Well, here's where we put it to use. This team will settle down, it won't be Washington second half all season.

Do the still use those "constant motion" machines? I was hooked up to one 8 hours a day for the first couple of weeks.

Do the still use those "constant motion" machines? I was hooked up to one 8 hours a day for the first couple of weeks.

No they stopped using them a few years ago. I had to use one after my surgery.

Everyone has their own recovery timeline. He just needs to come back 100%. He should be running in 4 or 5 months so hopefully he can hit the gym and shoot a million jumpers and get that NBA range dialed in.

Obviously this is a big blow, but couldn't this be seen as a positive? It seems to me that he'll have to come back next year to rebuild his NBA draft value and become a first round pick again, this is a strong draft and next year he might have a shot to shoot up the board. Having him back for another year should only make the Buffs stronger too.

He has to be real shaken up at this point, but I wonder what this part of his tweet (from the Buffzone) meant:

"Ride off into the sunset with a P12 championship in hand nd accomplishing my childhood dream. But the way I played was in case this happened..."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_24901147/colorado-mens-basketball-spencer-dinwiddie-out-season-knee

damn he wants to be running by the end of April? that is pretty aggressive. I hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get ready for the draft.

you missed a crucial line before that:

"U guys know what this year was supposed to be..."Ride off into the sunset with a P12 championship in hand nd accomplishing my childhood dream. "

He was planning on winning the p12 then going to the draft this year, but that kind of got derailed. He does go on to say though
"Time to attack rehab, get the swelling out, surgery in a week running in my bday month." (which is april)

So who knows.

Obviously this is a big blow, but couldn't this be seen as a positive? It seems to me that he'll have to come back next year to rebuild his NBA draft value and become a first round pick again, this is a strong draft and next year he might have a shot to shoot up the board. Having him back for another year should only make the Buffs stronger too.

Having a 20 yr old kids dreams temporarily derailed can rarely be seen as a positive.

damn he wants to be running by the end of April? that is pretty aggressive. I hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get ready for the draft.
That would be in line with the previous generalized comment that after ACL surgery, you can be running in 4-5 months.

The only true positive in this situation is that the injury was not worse. Spencer will get healthy and hopefully be the same, if not a better, player. It will allow him to work on the mental side of the game the rest of this year, which may be a benefit to him in the NBA. He is likely gone. The people that don't get that sense from his tweets are fooling themselves. The kid can still impress in interviews, and he will. Teams have 2.5 years of tape on him, and his measurables will not change any. It only takes one GM to fall in love with him and my guess is there will be many. Wish we could have seen him finish out his 3rd year in style, but Spencer will always be a crowd favorite in boulder and one of the best players to play in the black and gold.

Back