What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spencer Dinwiddie Injury

Sounds to me like he still has a goal of going to the draft. His body will tell him if that's realistic. Hopefully he receives good council and weighs his decision carefully. He will find out from the advisory group, or whatever they are, how his draft status is affected then he can go from there.

Adrian Peterson is the worst thing to happen to people who have injured their ACLs.

Agree 100%, Basketball players seem to take longer, football is several seconds full speed, then slow down for 30-45 seconds, get off the field between plays. B-Ball its up and down get off the floor at a break.
Rajon Rondo just tweeted he will play 17th, that's 338 days for him, straight up ACL

I think a big factor in ACL recovery is your, sort of, core strength, i.e. the muscle strength around your knee. I'd suspect Adrian Peterson had massive musculature in his legs before the injury. Spencer and most bball players have a completely different body/muscle type than an NFL running back.

I think a big factor in ACL recovery is your, sort of, core strength, i.e. the muscle strength around your knee. I'd suspect Adrian Peterson had massive musculature in his legs before the injury. Spencer and most bball players have a completely different body/muscle type than an NFL running back.

what are you talking about? You should know how the knee works. Didn't your doctor explain this to you?

My daughter had ACL surgery in December. She is using one. Any reason you say they stopped using them a few years ago? Anything I should be concerned about?

Edit: This was a reply to tante's post about not using the constant motion machines anymore.

Last edited:
My daughter had ACL surgery in December. She is using one. Any reason you say they stopped using them a few years ago? Anything I should be concerned about?

Edit: This was a reply to tante's post about not using the constant motion machines anymore.

nope just asked my knee doctor about it in October. I asked if I was going to have to be in a CPM machine after my surgery and he says that "they don't really use them anymore". But I guess different doctors have different protocols.

nope just asked my knee doctor about it in October. I asked if I was going to have to be in a CPM machine after my surgery and he says that "they don't really use them anymore". But I guess different doctors have different protocols.

Very true. For example, DBT's been going to the same doctor since he was a kid. After his surgery, once DBT had woken from the ether his doctor made sure to use leaches to remove the foul humors from his system.

Very true. For example, DBT's been going to the same doctor since he was a kid. After his surgery, once DBT had woken from the ether his doctor made sure to use leaches to remove the foul humors from his system.

Thanks for helping me lose my appetite. I just pictured something akin to Mr. Burns on the Simpsons.

what are you talking about? You should know how the knee works. Didn't your doctor explain this to you?
What are you talking about? You don't think muscle development in the leg muscles help?

Don't underestimate leaches.

What are you talking about? You don't think muscle development in the leg muscles help?

No there is only one muscle in the leg that supports the ACL and that is the hamstring which wraps around and attaches to the side of the knee but no matter how awesome your hammies are, they can't replace the ACL. That is why people need ACL reconstruction because a hammy isn't enough.

Also you can't make your ACL stronger for the sane reason it won't repair itself, there is very limited blood supply.

No there is only one muscle in the leg that supports the ACL and that is the hamstring which wraps around and attaches to the side of the knee but no matter how awesome your hammies are, they can't replace the ACL. That is why people need ACL reconstruction because a hammy isn't enough.

Also you can't make your ACL stronger for the sane reason it won't repair itself, there is very limited blood supply.
From the Cigna web site:

"How can you prevent ACL injuries?The best way to prevent ACL injuries is to stretch and strengthen the leg muscles, especially the front and back muscles of the thigh (quadriceps and hamstrings)."

Also, to, this web site goes into detail on preventing ACL injury.

http://kpreps.com/kansas/news/?id=6...ries-building-stronger-legs-&-healthier-knees

From the University of Rochester Medical Center:

"Prevention

Many ACL injuries can be prevented if the muscles that surround the knees are strong and flexible.

Prevention focuses on proper nerve and muscle control of the knee. Exercises aim to increase muscle power, balance, and improve core strength and stability.

The following training tips can reduce the risk of an ACL injury:

Train and condition year round.

Practice proper landing technique after jumps. This involves bending your knees to absorb the force and keeping them in line with your feet.

When you pivot, crouch and bend at the knees and hips. This reduces stress on the ACL.

Strengthen your hamstring and quadriceps muscles. The hamstring muscle is at the back of the thigh; the quadriceps muscle is at the front. The muscles work together to bend or straighten the leg. Strengthening both muscles can better protect the leg against knee injuries."

Elway played his entire career without an ACL. He did it by building leg strength.

Last edited:
The ACL connects the femur to the tibia under the patella, so there is actually no muscle involvement. Also, all of those articles above are for normal people, not elite athletes. There was no way to prevent the injury.

The ACL connects the femur to the tibia under the patella, so there is actually no muscle involvement. Also, all of those articles above are for normal people, not elite athletes. There was no way to prevent the injury.
I understand the anatomy. I've also had ACL surgery and rehab. I disagree with you and Tante but to hell with arguing about it.

if only Spencer had followed your steps DBT....

go read about the Elway ACL stuff. He is an exception, not a norm. His anatomy is just a bit different than the rest of us.

if only Spencer had followed your steps DBT....

go read about the Elway ACL stuff. He is an exception, not a norm. His anatomy is just a bit different than the rest of us.
That is Dr. DBT to you! And I said "as a factor in recovery." So he will be following my advice, so to speak, in rehab. :thumbsup:

That is Dr. DBT to you! And I said "as a factor in recovery." So he will be following my advice, so to speak, in rehab. :thumbsup:

I don't even know what you are talking about anymore. You went from saying that having big strong legs helps in recovery, but somehow called that "core" strength, then you copied and pasted some tips to prevent ACL tears.

I don't even know what you are talking about anymore. You went from saying that having big strong legs helps in recovery, but somehow called that "core" strength, then you copied and pasted some tips to prevent ACL tears.
Confusing, aren't I. Just ask my wife.

The he only point I was trying to make is that part of recovery requires building leg strength and the speed of recovery is related to that. I was trying to point out that the reason AP recovered so fast was that his legs are probably massive compared to Spencer and therefore not to expect Spencer to recover anywhere near as fast as AP did. Yeah, the articles I posted talk about preventing injury by building leg strength. My point there is that leg strength is important. You seem to imply that leg muscles have nothing to do with ACL injury and recovery.

BTW, the circumference of my injured leg dropped dramatically in just a matter of weeks after the injury. It's amazing how quickly your muscles can deteriorate.

Confusing, aren't I. Just ask my wife.

The he only point I was trying to make is that part of recovery requires building leg strength and the speed of recovery is related to that. I was trying to point out that the reason AP recovered so fast was that his legs are probably massive compared to Spencer and therefore not to expect Spencer to recover anywhere near as fast as AP did. Yeah, the articles I posted talk about preventing injury by building leg strength. My point there is that leg strength is important. You seem to imply that leg muscles have nothing to do with ACL injury and recovery.

BTW, the circumference of my injured leg dropped dramatically in just a matter of weeks after the injury. It's amazing how quickly your muscles can deteriorate.

I think that all of these elite athletes all have very muscular legs and wouldn't expect it to make a tangible difference among their individual recoveries. You can't correlate leg size/strength with recovery time.

I think that all of these elite athletes all have very muscular legs and wouldn't expect it to make a tangible difference among their individual recoveries. You can't correlate leg size/strength with recovery time.
Could be. From my structural engineering background, the stress on a 6'-6" guy's legs is greater because the moment arm is longer creating more torsion. Also, I am assuming he has more elongated muscles than a running back and, therefor, less foundational stability. All hypothetical on my part.

This is from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and may be somewhat related:

"Several studies have shown that female athletes have a higher incidence of ACL injury than male athletes in certain sports. It has been proposed that this is due to differences in physical conditioning, muscular strength, and neuromuscular control. Other suggested causes include differences in pelvis and lower extremity (leg) alignment, increased looseness in ligaments, and the effects of estrogen on ligament properties."

This is an excerpt from a paper by Dr. Patrick O'Connell on basketball injuries:

"
A more severe injury is a complete tear of one or more of the ligaments that support the knee. The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the more commonly torn ligaments in the knee. This ligament connects the upper and lower leg bones and helps hold the knee in place. if you damage your ACL, your knee will probably hurt and give way persistently. After an ACL injury, some players can participate in sports again without surgery. But they must do special exercises to strengthen their thigh muscles, and they must wear a brace on their knee. Strong thigh muscles give stability to the knee that the torn ACL cannot."

Last edited:
DBT's has gotta have strong legs, especially at the knee. Spends a lot of time on his knees

Back