1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sporting News ranks the B12 coaches.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Waylon Van Smack, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Waylon Van Smack

Waylon Van Smack Well-Known Member

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Pinkel is 4 spots too high.

3. edhookem

edhookem Member

Mangino is 350 lbs too high....and too high on the list.

4. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I love how he gives all kinds of praise to Morriss and Gundy, but then ranks them behind Pickle, who he basically says hasn't gotten it done, won't ever get it done, but at least doesn't totally suck all the time.

:confused: :confused:

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yeah, I think Gundy is way too low. He should probably be 5 or 6 on the list while Pinkel should really be dead last as 96 says.

Overall, I think this list shows how Big 12 football is underwhelming right now. Way too many comments about coaches showing signs of progress and not enough comments about coaches actually getting it done (like Stoops and Brown).

6. 96 Buff

Anyone who could waste a talent like Brad Smith, as Pinkel did for 4 STRAIGHT years, is the worst coach EVAR. Morriss has done some pretty impressive things at Baylor, as has Gundy at okie lite. Kinda surpriseing Prince is so low considering the surprisingly good season the kitties had last year.

7. Saulbadguy

Saulbadguy Member

Mangino hasn't even finished .500 in conference after 5 seasons at KU.

8. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

So Saul, Huggy bear might be leaving huh?

9. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Here's my list. Strait coaching ability as I see it, does not mean that thier team always finishes in this order.

1- Stoops- not a big fan of the guy, but his job last season was good. He gets good talent and does well with it.

1a. Brown- I like him more then Stoops, and he has done a great job with the talent he has. Not every coach has been able to pull that off in Texas.

3. Gundy- Okie State is getting better in a hurry. They recruit well now, and I think that they will be a bit of a force in the next couple of years.

4. Callahan- I think this guy is living a bit of a lie right now. He recruits very well, and that, and beating wimps in the pre-season are inflating his stats. That being said, his team was in the championship game last year, and could be getting better.

5.Morriss- This guy has Baylor playing competitive quite often. 'Nuff said.

6.Prince- KSU was much better last year then anyone could have predicted. Now, they had a stud QB sho might be able to make up for a lot of coaching errors, but so far Prince looks legit. Interesting team this year.

7. Leach- He's got a gimmick that seems to work for his team, even though it is the most boring football to watch. I will kill myself if I had to watch that many 3 yard outs in a season. Texas Tech recruits pretty well, so he really should be competing with Texas on OU a little more.

8. Franchione- This guy takes great recruits and turns them into average players. How he still has a job a aTm is beyond me. I hope he stays forever, as that is one less team to worry about from the south.

9. Mangino- Always 'the team that could suprise' in the north, but always ends up 'the team that sucked'. The big man has not gotten done, but will live on because Kansas is good at basketball.

10. Pinkle- Franchione of the north. Missouri is recruiting really, really well these days, but they are still mediocre on the field. It was thier chance to take over the north with nebraska, while KSU and CU go through growing pains, but they won't.

11. Hawkins- Sorry guys, this only counts the Big XII. I firmly believe that in three years he will be in the top 1/4 of this list, but for now, here he is. Good first couple recruiting classes, but the proof is on the field. Heres hoping for better come the fall.

12. Chizick (sp?)- Interesting choice by him. i thought he could of held out for a better gig, but who knows. Should be a good coach, but it sucks to recruit to ISU. They pull Iowas leftovers.

There it is.
    I am a little bored today. :thumbsup:

10. buff82

buff82 Guest

11. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

My favorite quote...

He was a caretaker for the team Jon Gruden built and managed to have one good year before the team cratered. Saying he coached a Super Bowl team is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I do, however, think that he has done well at Nebraska so far. For as much as I hate the corn, it is good for the B12 in general and the B12 north specifically for them to be a strong team.

12. 96 Buff

13. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

especially since everyone on that team hated him and thought he was a liar and didn't trust him (patterned behavior he's repeated at NU). quotes from "Mister Raider" Tim Brown are google-able.

i don't get Franchione, he was good everywhere else...and now he underachieves at ATM. If he doesn't beat a hobbled UT team last year, he's burning in effigy in College Station. and they got assmastered by Cal in the Holiday Bowl.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Plus another BCS bowl win. I don't get the myth that Mack Brown is a ****ty coach. His record says otherwise.

Here is the rivals rankings for recruiting classes dating back to 2002:

2002-#1 (class with Vince Young that eventually won MNC)
    2003-#15
    2004-#10
    2005-#20
    2006-#5
    2007-#5

The average ranking there for recruiting classes is 9th. His teams aren't exactly underachieving. People need to really let go of this whole "Mack Brown sucks" argument.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  15. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

16. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Yeah, what the ****? He knew the game so much they got about 120 yards of offense in the Big 12 championship game last year.. Geez, Barnett did that and I don't remember him getting praise for it..

17. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

He hasn't beaten a Top 10 team since he has been at Stinkin Lincoln.

18. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Sorry man. I don't disagree that he's a great recruiter, but I do not think that he's a great coach. Number one reason - Major Applewhite sits while Chrissy Simms plays. Everyone in the nation that knew that Major was the man to get the job done, and this screwup is big enough of one that it makes me question him. I do not think that he's a horrible coach, but I do not think he merits all the accolades the press reaps on him.

As you point out - he's a great recruiter, so we haven't really seen him do lots with less talent. He's had great players.

19. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

I agree with his #1 choice, after that 2-12 are debatable..... :smile2:

20. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

allright kp, i am going to bite. first you preface your ranking with "Strait [sic]coaching ability as I see it, does not mean that thier team always finishes in this order" yet you had hawkins listed at the bottom.

'splain yourself.

21. ladyblaise

3 losses, 2 of which were by one point. played in the game of the year. i agree that stoops is probably the best b12 coach today.

22. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

what I found humerous, and it goes to show that this place is not the only posting avenue for ignorant fusker ****s..... but one fusker that replied to the TSN thread about this guys article said dr. tom was the best Big 8/12 coach ever..... guess the dumb**** never heard of bud or barry.....

23. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Do you know what Gundy's record was at OSU after his first season?

24. ladyblaise

doesn't stop boone pickens from generously ensuring osu has the funds to make the facilities first rate.

25. coyeote

coyeote New Member

Actually the guy may not be as far off as you might think. Typically from what I remember Osborne took a bunch of fat farm kids, bulked them up taught them how to play the game (basics and do them well), threw in a medicre I-back (most years) and a mediocre QB (most years) and was competitive. Throw in a couple of good or maybe even great running backs and QB's every now and then but that was well after Barry moved on. That was coaching.

Barry was a good coach as well but Barry's real advantage was his ability to recruit. I'm not sure who the better coach would be Barry or Osborne but in terms of recruiting Barry could eat Osbornes lunch, pick his pocket with ease.

26. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

The point is- the poster had Hawkins ranked #11 in his list of Big 12 coaches.
    Mike Gundy- who has been at OSU exactly one year longer than Hawkins has been at Colorado - was ranked as the #3 coach in the conference.

Mike Gundy went 4-7 his first year at OSU - and that included a 1-7 Big 12 record. I dare say his record at OSU would have been a little worse, if he hadn't had the brains to schedule three cupcakes in the non-conference schedule.

27. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

To be fair, I doubt that the non-conf schedule was empty when he was hired and he had to make the schedule up for the year he was hired. Those cupcakes had already been made and were sitting on the sill cooling!:smile2:

28. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

He beat his cupcakes. :cry:

29. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

:sad1: I wonder if his predessesor left him a o-line and a QB? Maybe a WR that can catch the ball. hawks hands were tied really bad last year. But times--they be achangin'!!

30. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Actually- Montana State was added after Gundy was hired.

Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State had been on the schedule for several years. Either way-- it was smart scheduling for them.