What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Ball

It's hard to really assess(in my limited football knowledge) the players when they're only in a helmet and shorts. The main thing has been footwork and basic stuff during the first few practices. Very basic stuff. Which Hawkins said he was going to do this spring.

The only thing that stood out imo was the play of Devin Head. This kid looks like he is really ready to step up and challenge for the starting guard spot. He doesn't get beat very often when he goes one on one with the DT's. I've been very impressed with him.

Nate Solder had a very rough day out there. I kind of expected that as he is practicing as a Tackle for the first time here at CU. He imo, doesn't make a good first step when engaging the DE. But I'm sure coach Grimes will rectify these problems.

Ethan Adkins and Ryan Miller have been standing out during the one on one drills. Ryan looks like he'll easily retain his starting role this year. I'm sure that really suprises no one.:smile2:

Conrad Obi has also been doing very well. He looks like he will make a strong push at the starting DE spot.

Keep in mind that these are my opinions. I am no football coach. I'm just a fan like most of you guys.

BTW any talk of Solder becoming the starter at OT is way off. This kid has alot of learning to do. He also needs to bulk up. I know he weighs 275, but he is very lankey(sp?). I think he has the talent and potential to become a special player. But keep in mind he's only a RS-Frosh this year. His time will come. Just not this year imo.

I attended practice today. Anyone else go?

Not much to say. No Maiava, Sipili, or Faatagi. I guess Fataagi has an evening class so he leaves early. But he has been doing well.

Solder is quick for his size. But i still don't see him starting this year. Let him learn some more. He will be a good one. But not this year. jmho.

They have been pulling Ryan Miller on some run plays. He gets going pretty fast. I can't wait to see him deal out some punishment this year.

Ethan Adkins continues to stand out on the oline. He has been doing really well on the one on one drills.

I also expect big things from Brad Jones. He should be a leader out there.

Thanks valdez. Cool to hear about Adkins. I always enjoy an in-state guy stepping up.

I attended practice today. Anyone else go?

Not much to say. No Maiava, Sipili, or Faatagi. I guess Fataagi has an evening class so he leaves early. But he has been doing well.

Solder is quick for his size. But i still don't see him starting this year. Let him learn some more. He will be a good one. But not this year. jmho.

They have been pulling Ryan Miller on some run plays. He gets going pretty fast. I can't wait to see him deal out some punishment this year.

Ethan Adkins continues to stand out on the oline. He has been doing really well on the one on one drills.

I also expect big things from Brad Jones. He should be a leader out there.

I wont make it until the spring game most likely. How are some of the other O-lineman doing from last years class? Matt Bahr, Blake Behrens, Mike Iltis? I've heard great things about Iltis, maybe even the frontrunner to start at T

Why has Cobra Kai been missing? 2 days in a row now:confused:

I wont make it until the spring game most likely. How are some of the other O-lineman doing from last years class? Matt Bahr, Blake Behrens, Mike Iltis? I've heard great things about Iltis, maybe even the frontrunner to start at T

Yeah, I have heard good things about Iltis as well. As far as Cobra Kai, Ringo mentioned this in his blog the other day:

A handful of players missed practice because of class conflicts or coaches choosing to have players focus on academics rather than participating in drills. A few notable absentees were linebacker Marcus Burton and fullback Kai Maiava.

Iltis is a big boy. He could definately make a push at the starting tackle job. But this is only the second day of practice in pads.

Aric Goodman seems to have a leg, he isnt the most acurate kid we have ever had, but I would put money that he is better than Eberhart was (no offense). Dillalo is going to have a good year, most of his punts have either a great hang time and sit inside the 10, or he booms them 50+ yards down the field.

What about Davis. All of the reports I have heard say he has the strongest leg of the kickers.

It's really too early to judge the kickers imo. Let them get out of that bubble and see what they can do. The scrimmage on saturday should let us see how they handle the rush.

JJ, were you still there when Hawk awarded the schollie to Nabors?

If so, couple of questions. How did Cory's parent react? What was the teams reaction? (I know I read that they let out a roar, but more details would be nice)

I wasnt there, if I had even suspect that something like that would have been happening, I would have stayed, I left just before that happened.

They should move Solder back to TE. The numbers at that position are low, and i really don't think any freshmen will be ready to step up and start. Solder should be used the same as Matt Lepsis was used. jmho. It would be nice to have an extra olineman on the field.

They should move Solder back to TE. The numbers at that position are low, and i really don't think any freshmen will be ready to step up and start. Solder should be used the same as Matt Lepsis was used. jmho. It would be nice to have an extra olineman on the field.

I saw we got a transfer TE from New Mexico, anybody know anything about him?

I agree, I just don't think Solder has the every day nasty to be a tackle. Buffs also had a similar situation with Tom Ashworth 1998 - 2001 moving him Tackle to blocking TE. It is nice to have a TE that can run block like a tackle or neutralize a good DE.

Went to today's practice. Nothing much as usual.

While we are taking about unknown players. Anybody have any background on Cory Nabors? I saw he was just put on scholarship. I know he is a local kid but I don't remember hearing much about him around Colorado.

While we are taking about unknown players. Anybody have any background on Cory Nabors? I saw he was just put on scholarship. I know he is a local kid but I don't remember hearing much about him around Colorado.

He lead the state in rushing his senior year, I believe from Rangeview. I think he wasn't given a schollie out high school due to size.

A handful of players missed practice because of class conflicts or coaches choosing to have players focus on academics rather than participating in drills. A few notable absentees were linebacker Marcus Burton and fullback Kai Maiava.

Am I the only one reading this concerned that the move for Kai to FB would also lessen the impact on the team if/when he turns up to be academically ineligible?

I wouldn't think so .... of course, any loss due to academics is a blow (witness Bernard Jackson last year and P.T. Gates both last year and this year). Still, Jake Behrens was out there as the first team fullback Saturday. I think the Buffs will be able to move the ball - thanks to a much improved O-line. I'm more concerned about stopping all of the high powered offenses we will be facing. My kingdom for a shut down corner!

Last edited:
Back