1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Step back from the ledge

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by skinsfan55, Nov 2, 2014.

1. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

Last year the Buffs:

Lost 55-17 vs. Oregon State
    Lost 47-29 vs. USC
    Lost 54-13 vs. Arizona State
    Lost 59-7 vs. Washington

Is there any question at all that this team is much better than last year's team? If I told you three years ago that CU would be playing competitive albeit still losing football against nationally ranked PAC 12 teams you would have been thrilled.

More wins are coming. The team is showing major signs of improvement. In the NFL you typically give a coach 3 years to turn a franchise around. In college, it's going to take a bit longer, especially in a power conference. We've got a developing QB who is re-writing the CU record books, some young budding stars on defense and an offense which has made quick progress in the last year. This team is in MUCH better shape than when HCMM took over.

MiamiBuffs and Swish like this.
  2. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Well-Known Member

were we the worst team in CFB when Mac2 came here?

3. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

There where division II two teams that would beat us soundly. NDSU would have put up 60+ on us in'12

4. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

They'd probably beat us this year too. NDSU that is, very good team.

5. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Just hard to stay positive when we are now 7 years and counting with no bowl game and 10 years without a winning season.

6. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Especially when we are so close that we can practically taste it but get denied each week.

7. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Of course we are better, but I am not totally buying there is going to be a continuous linear progression just because the team gets older. There are some fundamental flaws which experience will not magically fix. It is okay to take a hard look after the season and to make some changes. It will not reflect poorly on Mike MacIntyre.

8. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Don't patronize me with rainbows and sunshine. This team may be able to put of yards and points, but they are not better at finding ways to win than Embree teams. Hell, even Embree knew how to win on a miracle comeback, unlike MM. The program has badly misfired numerous times this season, and any forward momentum from "improved" play is gone. Recruiting is going to continue to be garbage, further digging the hole we are in, because MM and staff can't close the deal with valuable recruits...kind of like they can't with games. There are no guarantees that wins are coming, or that they will be better next year. None.

9. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

All of which suggest actual improvement and progress. Something thats shoved aside by 90% of the folks around here who want instant gratification and at least one token victory in a hollow season. Which will not be good enough because then they will want two.

Rep

10. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I do think that one or two more years beings a big change to the Buffs. You can see the OL getting better, the backups becoming quality backups, instead of bodies that just came in and run over. Now we need that to happen in the DL and LB core. And replacing Neinas, letting a position coach also coach ST, and the replacement coach RBs and be a stud recruiter...it will keep the upward momentum. If we can gain half as much next year as we did this year from last, then we will be in a bowl game. I do think one (or two if I dream) stud recruiters along with a bowl game will make the next recruiting cycle take a very decent upward swing.

But...I do think much depends on beating Utah to end the season, and then at the very minimum replacing Neinas. I will lose faith in the process if the staff stays intact. There needs to be two coaches changed out IMO. Neinas for sure, then probably Jeffcoat, although I seriously wish it was Baer. All three seem to horrid at recruiting IMO.

11. buffedup

Dumbest. Thing. Said. Ever.

This game is about wins and losses. Nothing else. 90% of the people here (myself included) have watched bad football at CU for a decade now, yet we are still here. That sure sounds like a crowd of instant gratification folks to me. There is no such thing as a "token" win. This program desperately needs wins to move forward and they are pissing them away. This team has lost a game where they held a half time lead FOUR times this season. That is statistical anomaly...or a sign of poor leadership. All of this "progress" that they have made is meaningless if it doesn't bear fruit, and there are no guarantees that we will ever see it, just a lot of desperate hope.

12. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Here we go again. The progress argument is back.

Step back from the ledge. To whom is this addressed, and what kind of ledge, exactly, are we talking about here?

13. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Rainbows and Sunshine?!?! Where are you reading that? Please don't try to compare MM2 to Embree. One win against WSU (who damn near beat itself). That is his signature win? That is comparable to the picture on your profile - useless rasta doll the result of an investment of life savings - leaves you kind of hollow. We were never even competitve in a contest with Embree at the helm.

I agree that recruiting must improve (read Duff's posts for the details). The product on the field is improving in tangible and objective terms. To your point, Wins are the last piece and arguably the ONLY piece that matters to the average fan. After ten years of crappy football, wins are the only thing that will serve as good medicine.

14. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

BTW - I still laugh every time I see that picture !!

15. MiamiBuffs

Have you ever coached any sport at any level? If you had you would never say its about wins and losses. Especially when your in the early stages of trying to raise the Titanic.

This isn't the first time we've had a one win or two win season. And its not the last. Under Embree we were never in a position to win except once. Under Hawkins we pissed away a lot of games and he had better talent too. Now with better coaching were on the verge of winning, and we might have won yesterday if not for two Lindsay fumbles, a pick 6, and punt return for a TD. You can't fix a lack of talent with coaching. We are still outmaned in a few places.

I understand your frustration because you can taste victory but aren't getting it. Ive sat thru all the games you have as well going all the way back to 1990. Im sorry you drank the Koolaid. Somewhere there is a post where I predicted 2 wins and some posters took me to the woodshed over that saying I was crazy and that 4 was the minimum.

We'll get there. But not this year.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    buffedup likes this.
  16. buffedup

My long winded point is that so many are hanging their hats on this being turned around, when there is absolutely no way to know for sure. MM may have lost this team with the continuously agonizing defeats. You have a very limited time keeping 18-22 year olds engaged with your vision before they start tuning you out because they have nothing to show for it but heartbreak. I sure hope we see the wins come, but I see a lot of folks standing around screaming to nobody in particular that "all is well!" as Keven Bacon does at the end of Animal House.

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Ah. The weekly "Step back from the ledge" post. NTTIAWWT.

18. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

I agree with Luke for the first time. That ndsu team is nasty.

They'd run at will against our front 7.

19. FlatironsBuff

I know. Sucks that they are filled with 4 and 5 star kids that are mostly true freshmen and sophomores. Why can't we have that?

20. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

Whats your point? That our talent doesn't even stack up to an FCS team?

21. MiamiBuffs

I like how the FCS team is a supposed juggernaut when its playing against, well, other FCS teams.

22. BuffLuKe

They play fbs teams on the road and beat them. Pretty sure they beat Kansas St. last year and they beat the crap out of somebody else this year. They can ball and have good players. Don't schedule them.

23. MiamiBuffs

NDSU was damn good when I was standing near Joe Glenn back in the mid to late 90s. Those two had some great games. Id imagine you have less injuries as the season goes on too.

24. BuffLuKe

Yeah they probably would but they are good football team. I didn't know about them in the 90s so ill take your word for it.

25. FlatironsBuff

Point is you can build good teams with solid players and time to get them big and strong and have the majority of starters be kids who redshirted and are now 22 and 23 years old. Even 3 star and under kids. Yes, not going to win the PAC 12. But I feel time is going to let The Return of the Mack field a solid competitive team that goes to ball games. Not sure if that will lead to the super talented kids that will let us compete for championships yet, but by God, it won't hurt.

26. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Yay us, we are getting beat by less points this year :woot:

27. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Even less next year?

28. chipwich

Baby steps !

29. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

The arguments of the naysayers have literally sucked the fun out of me. I leave this sight pissed off with every visit. I am going to jump now.

30. chipwich

Attached Files: