1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student attendance.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by FLounder, Aug 28, 2014.

1. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

[​IMG] wow

2. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

Not shocking, winners get fans, losers lose fans, and nobody in LA gives a **** unless it is the trendy social event to be seen attending.

3. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I conclude from the graph if your team wins, people show, if they routinely get their ass kicked, they don't. Groundbreaking work.

4. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Winning is a panacea. The school could also make it more fun for the kids too, like a drawing for semesters worth of free tuition!! But oh well.

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

hanging onto Hawkins that extra year REALLY cost CU extra $$$$-

6. ramfan

ramfan Well-Known Member

Do these numbers even look accurate? CU averaged 3000 students per game last year? That can't be right. I imagine CSU had more than that.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

It was bad last year, but I would be shocked if the rams averaged 2k.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

That looks low, but it was a bad attendance season.

Part of that was the home schedule. When you've got two 1-AA teams and only 4 conference games, it's not a very attractive slate. Especially when you're coming off a 1-11 season that didn't see a home win.

Overall CU attendance numbers (this doesn't relate to students) were also affected by a change in policy. AD Mike Bohn used to artificially inflate attendance numbers with huge single game ticket discounts, which had a long-term consequence of deflating the brand value. Rick George stopped that and the numbers we saw last year were more reflective of what the reality had been from the back half of Hawkins through Embree.

The other thing that's hitting our numbers a little bit is the switch from the Big 12 to the Pac-12. Big 12 fans travel a lot better. That used to give us a bump of 1k-2k per home game versus the baseline for a Pac-12 opponent. For some opponents like Nebraska, it could be as high as 10k extra visitors. Long-term, this is a good change since it puts the onus on marketing CU instead of marketing to draw attendance off the opponent being played.

Anyway, long answer to give some background on how a lot of things came together. CU's been in transition and we're pulling ourselves out of hitting bottom after years of mismanagement of the football program & franchise.

9. ramfan

ramfan Well-Known Member

The east side of Hughes, the student section, was maybe half full most of the year. At full capacity that is supposed to be 10K. Some games were more than half full, some less, but I can't imagine we only averaged 2K. CSU's average attendance was like 20K or something, so 3-4K students would seem about right. What was CU's average attendance? Certainly much higher than CSU's, but with only 3K students? Seems odd.

10. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I've got a long running feud with the attendance issues of CU's current crop of students. Pussies, all of um :lol:

11. ramfan

ramfan Well-Known Member

Our students don't attend well at this point either, but given that CU's overall attendance is so much higher than CSU's that 3K average looks crazy out of place. With only 3K students I'd think your attendance numbers would be REALLY low, like close to CSU's, and that isn't the case.

12. Buffnik

Last year we dipped below 40k. I want to say it was 39k and change.

13. ramfan

ramfan Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just greatly overestimating how many students we had at games. It's been a long time, I imagine, since we've had 10K students attend a game. Maybe I've forgotten what that looks like.

14. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

No way we averaged only 3k in student attendance last season.... now - if these numbers were taken at kickoff, or at the end of the game - that's perhaps accurate. But if they took a measure of the stadium 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter, our number should/would be higher.

15. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

If it was the end of the 1st Q, I'd buy it. Some of those games there were handful of students in the first few rows and then empty up to the top.

16. Buffnik

I agree that this is a low estimate. We do have a lot of non-students sneak down into the student section, but still.

Anyway, we're a long way from where we need to be -- a lower bowl full of students stretching from the SE 40 through the S End Zone.

17. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I wonder how many CU students attend on other tickets with parents etc.? Don't have any idea but I do seem to see more than a few students seated in the rest of the stadium.

Beyond that student attendance is pretty predictable. If the games are fun to go to the students will show up, if they aren't fun students find other things to do. When CU was losing games by 35 points or losing to Sac State under Embree it wasn't a good time for the students. Once they find something else to do then you have to win them back. CU is going to have to do that.

CSU saw student attendence drop consistenly in the years they were going 3-9. Last year they started winning home games against schools they had lost to prior years. The students who went had reason to have a good time. If they can continue they should start to see a gradual increase again in student attendance.

In the long run CU will have notably higher student attendance than CSU. Playing a PAC schedule instead of an MWC schedule creates more interest and CU football is a more integrated part of the campus culture. That said as bad as CU has been recently student attendance dropping to low levels doesn't surprise me.

The decision to keep Hawk an extra year and then to go cheap hiring Embree is going to take work to overcome.

18. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

3K looks a little low but I think some of the night games really impacted the attendance. It was miserably cold and the students were off doing something else all day. USC game was horrible.

19. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

:wave: No sneaking necessary.

20. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Yeah, I remember when it was so packed you could be ****faced and if you fell forward onto the rows in front of you, it was a soft landing and they just pushed you right back up. Nowadays you'd break your neck!! It's getting dangerous out there with low attendance . . .

21. BuffClass90

Yup. I'm so old I remember cup fights.

22. Buffs35

Buffs35 Well-Known Member

I'm so old I remember bowl games.

Uncle Ken and BuffClass90 like this.
  23. BuffClass90

Wow, you are old!!!!
    images.jpg

24. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

I was a baby at the time, so someone fill me in. What was the average attendance of Folsom during the glory days (early 90's)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Full.

26. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

Fair enough. Sometimes I wonder how I got into college at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Well, back in the late 80's early 90's, I seem to remember there were about 10-12000 student tickets available, and they sold out. Just my memory though....

28. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

As recently as 2007 - student tickets would sell out when the freshman got onto campus or maybe even during orientation... Hell, less than 10 years ago you needed to show up early to games in order to make sure you got a seat it would get so full down there. There were definitely some rowdy games as recently as 2007 (Oklahoma comes to mind).

29. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

And drunk.

30. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I was at CU from 86-91. We would have fraternity pledges go and save a section of seats for us. They'd go down to the game about three hours early and just get obliterated. By the time the game started, the pledges were all completely sh*t faced. I heard that a couple year later, CU started a policy that said you couldn't save seats anymore. That was a very bad idea.