What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the Rocky Mountain Beatdown

Did we watch the same game on Friday?
Already answered above that it was more an analysis of the last three seasons but let's not overreact to one performance against a terrible offensive front. We also ran for 390 yards against UMass last year but that was an outlier performance.

After rewatching the game, Moeller is clearly behind Laguda in my mind. He also continues to come up really tough in run support but lowers his head and tackles with his helmet. This is a broken neck (at worse) or multiple concussions (at best) waiting to happen, not to mention he will be flagged for this. He goes in low, which avoids a lot of the penalties, but this is NOT how one should tackle.

I saw very few plays where Irwin was in the game. I saw many more with Frazier in as a FB or H-Back.

Kyle Evans looked very good.

We didn't use numbers at WR. The 4 starters played a lot of snaps.

Gillam saw quite a few snaps. He had some nice QB hurries and played ok.

After rewatching the game, Moeller is clearly behind Laguda in my mind. He also continues to come up really tough in run support but lowers his head and tackles with his helmet. This is a broken neck (at worse) or multiple concussions (at best) waiting to happen, not to mention he will be flagged for this. He goes in low, which avoids a lot of the penalties, but this is NOT how one should tackle.

I saw very few plays where Irwin was in the game. I saw many more with Frazier in as a FB or H-Back.

Kyle Evans looked very good.

We didn't use numbers at WR. The 4 starters played a lot of snaps.

Gillam saw quite a few snaps. He had some nice QB hurries and played ok.

I think the reason that Gillam doesn't stand out like he used to is that we have more talent converging on the ball carrier now. That wasn't the case in 2013, and it made Gillam look like a superstar.

I think the reason that Gillam doesn't stand out like he used to is that we have more talent converging on the ball carrier now. That wasn't the case in 2013, and it made Gillam look like a superstar.
It also helped that Gamboa appears to be a solid backup for Gillam, so we can sub them in and out without much drop off. Hopefully it helps keep Addison healthy this year.

I thought Sefo did a better job going through his checks. At least thats my perception based on a couple of times I noticed him do that. Maybe not having Spruce makes him less dependent on one guy. Or something. Have any of you gone back and analyzed Sefo in that regard?
Ya think? I think it was those polarized shades that let Sefo see only the number "2" (Spruce was 22, twice the target!) while looking down field........Happens, ya know. That's why Ross changed his number to "2". And Bobo is "4" =2x2!
Its all in the numbers!

I don't think it inspires much confidence in a position group when they get the offensive coach who was just given a big demotion.
There you go, yet again, throwing people under the bus.......just change your moniker to "Roadkill" and be done with it!
From what I've read (no footnotes available for your keen mind to fact check, sorry!) Bernardi is well-respected by his players.
Besides, his input into the game plan, is far less than that of the Co-OCs.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but after re-watching the game, the way CSU played reminded me a lot of the Dan Hawkins years. Not ready to be punched in the face and no response to it, overthinking on D that results in playing slow, no emotion when momentum was in the balance.

Imagine if we somehow beat Michigan... The P12 Championship talk will be running rampant from the "Takeaways from the Miracle in Michigan Part Deux" thread!

and the championship talk should flow freely if we beat Michigan. I don't expect it.

Seriously, who would go around guaranteeing a win at Michigan :ROFLMAO:

Only Tini would, and he's long gone.
0108-flounder-animal-house-launch-3.jpg

Not sure if this is worthy of a separate thread, but after watching our game and the TX ND game, does anyone else think we could use Montez the way TX used Swopes? Kinda like FL used Tebow his freshman year. Gets him on the field, he should be a better runner than Sefo, may keep Sefo from getting broken?

Not sure if this is worthy of a separate thread, but after watching our game and the TX ND game, does anyone else think we could use Montez the way TX used Swopes? Kinda like FL used Tebow his freshman year. Gets him on the field, he should be a better runner than Sefo, may keep Sefo from getting broken?

Not sure Montez is that big or powerful.

What I'm seeing with the dual-threat QB offense becoming a bigger part of what CU does is a much better fit for Montez's skill set than I had previously thought. I don't know that Sefo is going to get pulled for series or plays this year, though. The most I could see would be after Awini comes back that maybe we see some plays where Awini motions in to QB and Sefo motions out to WR so we can run a Wildbuff option set.

What I'm seeing with the dual-threat QB offense becoming a bigger part of what CU does is a much better fit for Montez's skill set than I had previously thought. I don't know that Sefo is going to get pulled for series or plays this year, though. The most I could see would be after Awini comes back that maybe we see some plays where Awini motions in to QB and Sefo motions out to WR so we can run a Wildbuff option set.
I do not think Sefo's personality would allow for the coaching staff to do this. He does not seem to like or accept the idea of being taken out of a game and it's not clear to me how well he'd react.

I do not think Sefo's personality would allow for the coaching staff to do this. He does not seem to like or accept the idea of being taken out of a game and it's not clear to me how well he'd react.
Not really sure it's up to him. Besides, I think he'd rather win the game than lose cause he wouldn't come out. I think he's a leader, and that he would see the light pretty quick.

Agree that Montez isn't as big as swopes (not sure any QB in college is) but it's the fact that he's a better runner. Also agree it is a role that Awini could fill once he is back, but the other advantage to this is that it would get Montez on the field in more games, not just blow outs.

Back